RSteels CAT - RC Groups
Jan 29, 2006, 11:27 PM
Mini-HowTo

RSteels CAT

Okay, after some time I finally finished and maidened my CAT design based upon Appie build technique, this is what was born.

Powerplant Specs are:

AUW: 22.7 oz
Motor: Hacker A30-22S
ESC: Hacker X-30
Battery: Duralite 2200mah 11.1v
Prop: APC 7x5TE
Servos: HS-55 3 ea.
RX: 6ch. GWS

The entire aircraft was modeled using A9CAD, Rhino, and DesignFoil first before any foam, wood, fiberglass, or epoxy was applied. Which is extremely nice since all parts and pieces can be fitted before the first cut.

Using DesignFoil and its windtunnel, and Coefficent software, I found that a NACA 64-309 airfoil was very efficent at both low and high speeds. The fuselage is also based upon a airfoil design that produces no lift and its drag coeffeficient is very low.

Wings are 8in. at the root and 2.5 in. at the tips.

I still dont fully understand or pretend to understand the complexities of the physics involved but a small spark is there

Thanks to Mark at CNC Foamfactory for cutting the wing cores at a VERY resonable price.

The fuselage was cut and shaped in foam then directly glassed.

The wing cores were not skinned with balsa but glassed directly then layed back in their cradles for a glaze coat. I then used a polyester glaze for the final smoothing.

The booms and tail section is all balsa. The booms themselves are raked more and longer to compensate and stabilize the longer nose section.

The finish is a metallic blue enamel by Lustercoat, orange, white, black enamel by Rustoleum.

I was able to maiden today and all I can say is fast, menuverable, fast, and damn thats fast!!!

My buddy shot some video and took some inflight photos of which I will post probably tomorrow when he gets them to me. Unfortunately, the battery on the vidcam was dead so I dont have full video of which I normally post.

Here are the plans in both DXF and PDF

Rays Cat PDF
Rays Cat DXF format

Thanks all,

Ray
Last edited by RSteel; Jan 30, 2006 at 01:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 29, 2006, 11:36 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Nice job Ray. It looks fast just sitting on the couch!

J
Jan 30, 2006, 01:48 AM
Thanks J,

The build didnt take too long just as you know, once you start dealing with more than just foam, its a waiting game.

Apply Fiberglass...wait....wait....
Apply paint...wait...wait...

Its worth it tho. Your Thud and Starfighter are looking great!!!

Ray
Jan 30, 2006, 02:06 AM
Or am I...
Cool, Looks great.
Last edited by im-sad; Jan 30, 2006 at 02:37 AM.
Feb 05, 2006, 01:25 AM
CNC Foam Cutter
Great ship RSteel!!

FYI
CNCFoamFactory.com is no longer in business as of Feb.3rd, but
if you like to order a set of cores for RSteels CAT contact me directly at
sales@cncfoamfactory.com

Mark
CNC Foam Factory
Last edited by singlespeed7; Feb 05, 2006 at 10:00 AM.
Feb 05, 2006, 04:58 AM
Great Job Ray!!!

Can I add this to the Parkjets Site?

Tom
Feb 06, 2006, 01:31 AM
Hey Tom,

Please do, thank you

Ray
Feb 06, 2006, 01:43 PM
Thanks Ray!!

Here ya go

http://www.parkjets.com/rsteel-cat.html
Mar 30, 2006, 04:26 PM
Anything new?
Mar 30, 2006, 10:21 PM
Actually, if it wasnt for this damn monkey on my back thing called "work" heheh I would be a building fool. Well, I think I already got the fool part down, just need to work on the building part

I've been running around with some ideas just not enough time right now to put them into a solid form.

Soon...I hope...soon

Ray
Mar 31, 2006, 12:36 AM
Well if anyone can do it, it will be You Ray!!! If building great looking and flying jets is foolish, then give me a double Shot!!!

Tom
May 17, 2007, 12:07 PM
no pain, no pain
Ray, I sent you a PM.

any updates?
May 18, 2007, 12:45 AM
Sorry, been away on work. I just read your PM and I will post some video of the CAT in flight.

Yes, there are some upgrades I would do. My first one is either double the vertical stabs criss crossing the grain of the balsa or applying a layer of glass to them. On the last pass I over stressed the verticals and sheared one of them. Reinforcement is a must.

I found this design to not want to slow down. Setup was with Flaperons to control speed but she just didnt want to hear it. Even with full flaps down the high wing loading just kept it cutting through the air.

I will post those short vids tommorrow. More to come

Ray
Jun 12, 2007, 02:53 PM
no pain, no pain
Hi Ray,

I really believe you are busy with work , but I am really very interested in watching these videos !!!

I will post here in the future , we have 3 rsteelīs cat flying here in Brazil!! But I will only be able to see them in june 30 , my friends live 120 miles from me. Then I will start building mine.

Thanks!

Marcio
Apr 04, 2008, 06:02 PM
Made it out of depron, flies awsome easy, tops out around 60mph level flight. w/ a spinmax2212-6 cheap speed, love it
Last edited by superinstaller; Apr 04, 2008 at 06:10 PM.