Jan 29, 2006, 11:45 AM
Too much is not enough
Discussion

MK Aurora pattern conversion

Hi,

I almost finished the conversion of my 19yrs old Aurora 60.
Built in 1987 by my former club (they built 4 of them in a row, it was the 4th), survived 3 seasons of competition + 4 yrs of fun flying (landed once inverted don't ask why). It was then stored 10 yrs and shipped to North America last year.
A little lighter than glow at 8.1 lbs.
Put a Hyperion Z4045-10 and 8s in it (propped with a 14x14), expecting 1350W to the prop. (28V/56 amps/85% eff)
I modified the nose retract to be operated by a Hs81 equivalent.
I put 2 hs125 for the elevator.
I located all the ribs and spars and injected thin CA to reinforce the wing (after all these years). The wing is now stronger than ever.
Hope to finish it next week.
Here are the pics (look at the ventings... they look like a ghost...)
More pics to follow
Last edited by chronos333; Feb 01, 2006 at 12:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2006, 01:22 PM
Got shenpa?
Chronos - looks like a nice project!

What struck me most when I saw your pictures was a strong sense of Deja Vu - have a look at the attached picture of my GWS Formosa, built in summer 2005! (What looks blue in the photo is actually blue-violet, very close to the exact color you used!).

-Flieslikeabeagle
Jan 31, 2006, 05:10 PM
Too much is not enough
I really love the look of your formosa...but I haven't enough yellow left for the wings... I'll try something else.
The main problem I had with this conversion was to fit the motor in the fuse (tight fit).
Jan 31, 2006, 08:58 PM
Got shenpa?
That Formosa was my first brushless plane, and the first one that was highly aerobatic. I wanted a colour scheme that would be very easy to see - and that eye-popping yellow and blue-violet scheme did the trick!

My Formosa weighed in at 1 lb (16 oz), just a *bit* less than your 8 lb Aurora.

I find it amazing that you are planning to have nearly two horsepower at the prop - and that this can be achieved with off-the-shelf components today!

-Flieslikeabeagle
Feb 01, 2006, 12:29 PM
Too much is not enough
Flieslikeabeagle,
I find it amazing too. Lipo are still expensive though. But I am waiting for some technology changes to further invest in packs (faster charge rates).

1.8HP was the power I had when it was glow so I shouldn't expect radical changes in performance (except less speed and more thrust). No 14X15 prop exists so if I ever want more power I'll have to increase the cell count to 9 or 10. But I think that I won't be disapointed with this setup.

For the colour scheme I too wanted something eye-popping.
As you may not know, the aurora is a late 80's early 90's pattern plane, meaning that it is quite fast & funny. By the way, originally it was in red/yellow (awfull & dirty).

In the end my formosa had more glue than foam and the fuse tended to twist in knife edge! What BL setup hou had in it?

P.S: funny that you formosa was lighter than my motor, one day we may try something like a 1500W formosa... should be funny ... a few seconds
Feb 01, 2006, 01:08 PM
Got shenpa?
You are right, I'm unfamiliar with the Aurora. In fact, I have yet to see a real pattern plane fly at all, except for pattern type parkflyers in my hands - and I'm no precision pattern pilot.

My Formosa suffered a similar fate - I left it in the car on a hot day, and the foam warped. Now it has dihedral (nice elliptic dihedral, theoretically perfect! ), and the tail group has rotated several degrees out of alignment with the wing. It is still flyable, but it is no longer a pattern plane at all: there is now a big difference between right side up and inverted flight, and the coupling in knife edge is so bad it scares me into levelling off immediately.

I had a Himax 2015, 5.33:1 Himax gearbox, APC 9x7.5 SF prop, Phoenix 10 ESC powertrain in the Formosa. I used 4.7 gm RC Dymond D47 servos for ailerons, Cirrus 4.4 gm servos (not very good, I would not use them again) for rudder and elevator, and a big 3S 1800 mAh Polyquest lipo pack for long flight times. It had enough power to climb out vertically (though not terribly fast) and enough speed in level flight to raise my heart rate (about 40 - 45 mph), especially since it was a big jump from the planes I had been flying before that - 3 channel floaters and my E-Starter aileron trainer. Best of all, at 16 oz AUW, it would float in for landings with no worries about tip stalls or other bad behaviour at all.

One day I will get a new Formosa or Formosa II - the old one was an excellent flier and I had a lot of fun with it.

-Flieslikeabeagle
Feb 01, 2006, 01:11 PM
Verrrry interested to see how you like it electrocuted ... I flew the Aurora and many other 80's pattern planes back in the day.

Still have a few laying around waiting .... DirtyBirdy60 and Phoenix7
Feb 01, 2006, 02:43 PM
Too much is not enough
Alan,
I just bought a camers/camcorder, you'll have your vid posted you've got my words.
I am young but I like old school pattern... sadly nowadays, pattern hasn't the same flavour anymore.
What's the one on the left?
Feb 04, 2006, 02:48 AM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
The Aurora had to be one of the sexiest pattern ships there were during its heyday.

I have flown one, and she is a sweet flying machine indeed. You guys who have never had the pleasure of flying a true thoroughbred pattern ship like this one (I ain't talking about a Four Star, Kougar, or Super Sportster either) are truly missing out on a treat. Sometimes I really miss my old pattern flying days.

I've been contemplating building my old NIB LA-2 (similar to the Aurora, but a tad larger) glass/foam kit as an electric, but the price of LiPos needs to come down a little more first before I could power it decently.

Too many kits, too little time and cash.

Rick
Feb 04, 2006, 02:35 PM
Too much is not enough
I almost had to mortgage my wife to afford this one!
I finished covering it late at night.
Dominique (our former club president) will paint a 3D checkered flag on the bottom of the wing. (I can't wait to see)
I only need to do the ailerons linkage, check the amp draw, do some minor tweaking and it's done!

Here are 2 photos I took at our club's garage sale yesterday night.

Chronos
Feb 06, 2006, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronos333
Alan,
I just bought a camers/camcorder, you'll have your vid posted you've got my words.
I am young but I like old school pattern... sadly nowadays, pattern hasn't the same flavour anymore.
What's the one on the left?
Joe Bridi DirtyBirdy-60 from a wood kit. I bought that one pre-built but never flown. Its a bit heavy for a conversion but I'll prolly try it anyways.... I still have a new-in-box Glass Fuse/Foam wing version of the BD60 sitting in the box since the late 80's

Cant wait to hear your flight reports for the E-Rora
Feb 25, 2006, 11:51 AM
Too much is not enough
Here are my motor test data...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...53#post5094941
May 27, 2006, 07:47 PM
Too much is not enough
Videos on their way,
The maiden was great, I am still trying to tune the exact cog
The airplane is a lot more powerful than glow but is a bit slower which makes it sluggish on the ailerons (I still don't know if it is a speed issue or a CoG issue)
May 27, 2006, 09:14 PM
Speed Demon
Heat up the root of each prop blade and increase the pitch a smidge. I'll eat a few more amps and give you increased pitch speed. Should increase airframe speed as well.
May 27, 2006, 09:48 PM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
I have an NIB Atlas and EUA-1 waiting too

EUA-1 was a great all around airplane once the 10 cc limit was dropped...