Jan 26, 2006, 04:03 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Build Log

60" JW Build Thread

alright... i failed on my last build thread, so i thought i would give it another go... so lets get to it....

This is the 60" JW Kit from Gary and Bill at ( www.L2airframes.com ) and this is what you get... a Fuse, wing, cores, 2 spars (1 top one bottom) joiners, elevons, and Coroplast Tail. (and linkages)

Now first thing you do is Scuff up the spars, especially where they will be glued into the joiner.

Now, get the joiner out and glue in the spar to the joiner... you can use Epoxy or CA but i use Black CA (Rubberized CA) and have never had a problem with it even in very very high impacts and speeds so far up to 169mph.

so now apply the glue on the spar and slide it into the Joiner... at the same time do the other side to and make sure they are REALLY in there... now is when i use CA Kicker and Tease the air around it... i dont spray it directly, but i want to know its partially kicked so it wont backout. and let it dry.
Do this for the Top and Bottom spar

Next, get out the wing panels and the cores.... Tape the cores together, and then pull out the Goop/exoxy or CA and glue the wing halvs together... i use GOOP because its not brittle for those very fast meetings with the ground and i think it holds up the best.. then place a piece of wax paper on the cores where the 2 wing halvs will meet and then tape the cores together.

Then i GOOP the Top spar in first... and put wax paper on it then put weights to hold the spar IN the channel so it wont lift and give a bump in the finish of the JW. IF you use GOOP for this, let it dry OVERNIGHT at least... you could use CA, Epoxy if you dont want to wait (wich works just fine) or PU Glue if you like using it (i dont, too messy).... after its dry, repeat with the bottom spar.

Now that the wing is together your gonna want to Shape your Tips... you dont want to leave them out of the box... one crash and you have a floppy tip wich will cause a lot of drag.... you can be as creative as you want... round them, multi angle... whatever... i ran 2 different angles.. sorry no pic though. you'll see the shape at the end..

now that the wing is together, get the gear you want to use and place it where you want it to go... Im using Hitec HS-645mg's (133oz of torque with a 5cell).... a little overkill? . but you have many choices here... hs-85's are most common, DS368's are great for this, but if your on a budget and dont think your gonna see 150+mph, you can even use STANDARD size servo's in the JW... as for the RX you can fit anything in there also, im using an electron6... top plugs/endplugs it doesnt matter, it will fit.

I place my servo's out around 10-12" usually... and the 645mg allows 10" with no extensions so thats where they will sit.. 10" out from the root.

now mark out your servo's and cut them out of the foam.

now route your aentenna placement... i stay at least 5+ inches away from the TIPS... with the 60" JW, say you fly it for a while and the tips get all beatup and mushroomed.... well you can simply take it through a bandsaw and chop the tips down a few inches each time..... ive had a 60" JW down to 50" and it flew awesome still... so i route the aentenna far enough away from the tips so i can get a lot of life out of my JW's... this one happens to be between 7-8" from the tip

+++ This step is NOT in the instructions and you only do this i fyou want to+++ I usually run a 1/4"x1/8" piece of Hardwood on the Trailing edge of my JW's... there are several reasons why this is a good upgrade... one, it gives you a firm straight surface to hinge your elevon to... second is that if you go to hot on your iron it wont PULL the foam in and leaves you with a straight (and DS Strong) trailing edge... This is not my plane and Fermin Bill wanted to use a Carbon trailing edge...you also just epoxy or CA this on the TE of th eplane... real easy and a really good upgrade nomatter what your flying style or how fast you plan on going.

Now this is your wing, Ready for 3m77.

Now Bill didnt want a Heavyweight DS'er... so he didnt want it Completly strapping taped... so this is what the instructions suggest... Simply put an X pattern on the top and bottom.. then a strip across the LE and TE and around the tips.... even though he said he didnt want a fully strapping taped plane, i ran extra support of the tape on the uderside of the plane. (even with this much tape the 60" JW will only be in the LOW 30oz range...)

Bottom(also got an X pattern, but also full length strips)

After your strapping tape it, wipe the strapping tape down with Acetone ( to remove the release agent) and i also lightly sand it too to get a GOOD surface for the ultracoat to stick to..

Spray with 3m77 and now your ready for covering.... This process really didnt get pictures... you all know how to put on covering... so cut it out and stick it to the plane...

Now here is where the Wing sits..., all covered in Ultracoat... wont be this pretty for long...

and some Daewoo flying

Thats where im at now... i will have anothe post probably tomorrow about how to do the Fuse... im gonna Goop the fuse and will have plenty of build pictures of that also... and then it will be ready to put the fuse on the wing and then Hinge the elevons... and this plane will be going 150+ by the weekend if conditions allow...

i'll post more pics of doing the fuse when their ready... Pretty easy build for the wing huh? just like building any of your typical flying wings...

JOe
Last edited by KingOfTheHill; Sep 05, 2008 at 08:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 26, 2006, 04:04 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
And now the fuse... Sand it round BRICK*.... Place in your Battery and some Lead for balancing it (regular build see's between 4-6oz), 3m77 the fuse, and i cover the entire thing in 3m Bi-Directional strapping tape... i then wipe down the strapping tape with Acetone and lightly sand it to give a good surface to stick to.

Now i mix up my thinned goop... i use 1 tube of Goop, 2 small bottles of Testors paint for color, and some Xylene (or toulene) to thin it out..

Then with a cheap foam Brush i start appplying the thinned goop... it takes many coats and about a day to do it... i only use enough thinned goop on the top/sides behind the CG to get a smooth even cover of color... i then apply a good ammount on the front of the CG and the bottom for a skid.. takes a full tube for me

when thats done, let it dry and put it on the wing...

+++++++++++ VIDEO on how to hinge a JW+++++++++++++++++
https://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/sho...cat=500&page=1

Now its time to Hinge the JW... Bowman's instructions call for a Compression hinge... when done right, with quality tape its an amazing hinge..... for this it is required that you sand the elevons Round then cover them with ultracoat.

Then flip the plane upside down and lay a strip of tape across the back of the TE... half of the tape should be stuck to the TE the other half hanging off the back.

Now flip the plane back over (top up) and pull out the spacers thats included in the kit.

and place them flush against the TE and then get the elevon ready.

now slide the elevon down against the spacer and let it drop onto the exposed tape...

then remove the spacers and it will look like this.

now with the wing flat on the table, run a strip of tape across the top of the hinge.. about half the tape on the elevon, and the other half on the TE of the wing

now run you fingers down the hinge sorda pressing the tape into the crack...

now put the plane wing flat on the table again (fuse hanging off so its flat) and against the table, press the elevon towards the wing... with the bottom of the wing and bottom of the elevon flat on the table, it will leave you with a flat bottom and the hinge will press together inside the crack and look like this )( touching in the middle making the hinge... after it looks like this.

Now that the wing is covered, Fuse is gooped and on, and the elevons are Hinged... now is the final touches like setting up your linkages and CG'ing the plane... and this is the finished product... a 42oz 60" JW ready for some serious speed... slightly heavier than i thought it was gonna be but at 42oz its still a good all around weight....

Last edited by KingOfTheHill; Feb 06, 2006 at 03:00 AM.
Jan 26, 2006, 04:23 PM
blah...
Very nice looking JOe.... I'm going to order a new fuse from Pat soon so I can make a smaller, narrower, one....

edit: Oh,with the tape like that, I'm bettin' on 38 oz once you get 5-6 ounces in the nose...

I went with full tape in front of the CG....
Jan 26, 2006, 04:42 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
i would bet if i put a normal fuse on with ultracoat and not goop, it wouldnt wiegh any more than 34oz... at the MOST..

but with the Gooped fuse im putting on its gonna be around 40..

JOe
Jan 26, 2006, 10:36 PM
blah...
I'm at 34 ounces with 4.5 ounces of lead in the nose... Gooped fuse, but only a 2 ounce battery. I still say it would be 38 at the LIGHTEST you could make it with the required nose weight, with the tape you have behind the CG... I have a cool idea for my new fuse which would be a "rare earth magnet" fastened nose to cover the battery...... I may just mod what I have though...
Jan 26, 2006, 10:38 PM
Piscine Promulgator
Sweet buiild thread, JOe! This is great info, and I know you've built "a couple" JWs...

Good work, soldier! Now for some video of you punishing it in the DS groove!

Steve
Jan 26, 2006, 10:49 PM
Will fly for food
Great build thread and great pictures (must be a nice camera). You need to take some pics of the build with your fancy new lense, from across the street LOL. I got a JW 60" for x-mas and plan on building it sometime in Feburary so I will be watching the rest of this thread.
Jan 26, 2006, 11:05 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
the fuse is done, but im gonna take a few more pics on how bowmans Hinge works and the no slop linkages.... i'll have the rest of the thread finished tomorrow...

this one turned out very clean... really like it.... too bad its not mine lol

JOe
Jan 26, 2006, 11:06 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
oh, and this isnt my good camera... wouldnt risk getting glue's on it.. lol... this is just my kodak.... and after looking at the pics i posted, earlier i cleaned my garage... man it looks way worse online... lol

JOe
Jan 26, 2006, 11:11 PM
blah...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfTheHill
oh, and this isnt my good camera... wouldnt risk getting glue's on it.. lol... this is just my kodak.... and after looking at the pics i posted, earlier i cleaned my garage... man it looks way worse online... lol

JOe

I was curious if you were brave enough to have the lid off the "rubber CA", and the nice camera in the same vicinity..

I screwed up on mine and didn't do the "Bowman hinge"... After checking out his at Parker I'll do it his way next time for sure...
Jan 26, 2006, 11:46 PM
Actual Model Aviator.
wow thats alot of strapping tape, i didnt realize your supposed to tape that much, is that how there all supposed to be done??? i might be in a crunching foam plane situation
mike
Jan 27, 2006, 12:04 AM
Ninja of the Nasty
the top pattern is your typical foamie i think... nothing too extreme at all... the bottom is quite a bit, but not as much as i normally use on my 60" JW's but my JW's are usually in the 50oz range, stock is in the low 30's...

you wouldnt do this to a weasel, but you would do this to your typical combat wing...

JOe
Jan 27, 2006, 12:07 AM
JOe do you wrap electrical tape around the leading edge to hide the seams?
Jan 27, 2006, 12:12 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
When I re-did my JW, I taped the entire wing, top and bottom, plus cross-tape on both top and bottom. Boy am I glad I did. The wing is ultra-stiff and should fly MUCH better. I had the stock tape pattern before and broke the EPP in the wing near the root. It looks much better covered (smoother) as well.

AUW, with gooped fuse and two layers of strapping tape on the fuse is 39 oz.
Latest blog entry: Photos
Jan 27, 2006, 12:14 AM
Actual Model Aviator.
im gonna have to try that cross taping next time i cover a wing,
mike

Quick Reply