.................Santa Barbara sloping................... - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 28, 2006, 12:00 PM
Slope elope
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lindsey
but shortly thereafter my transmitter started yelling at me about low battery... I have *got* to invest in a peak charger (still using the wall-wart-charger for both my weasel and my tx).
-Rick
What kind of Tx do you have? I'd highly recommend a battery upgrade if you haven't already. Changing the stock 600mah on my Eclipse to a 1800mah was probably the best money I've spent in RC...well, except for the wheez-le.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2006, 02:13 PM
Piscine Promulgator
Can I get a Google Earth file for the second spot, the one I think I know? Wanna check it out and compare

Steve
Jan 28, 2006, 02:17 PM
Slope elope
I think THUREN mentioned that it's one of those spots that's clouded over.
Jan 28, 2006, 03:12 PM
Piscine Promulgator
Well I got all excited over Google Earth and went bonkers. Here are some of the local sites, with OFA (opinionated free advice--to borrow one of Dieter's terms) by Surfimp.

Steve
Jan 28, 2006, 03:51 PM
Slope elope
Awesome!
Jan 28, 2006, 10:48 PM
I went up to check out Don's moldie-friendly site today and had a great time. I know the area well from mtn/dirt biking & hiking but never considered it for flying due to the drive.

The site is 1.0 mile east of the Cold Spring water tank. Its a ridge on the N side of ECC that runs E/W for about 0.3 miles with a saddle on each end. I've attached a .KMZ file with a placemark called "East Spot". It looks right over the Forbush and Blue Canyon drainages below, plus you can see Jameson Lake to the east, and Montecito Peak to the SE. Very scenic.

I hiked all along the ridgeline. A nice thing about the site is it has NW, N, and NE exposure!!! The wind was blowing at 330 (magnetic, not true, bearing) and I was able to fly the WP easily. The LZ is indeed as Don says, grassy and I couldn't find any big rocks. Its not perfect - not very deep with a picket fence of shrub oak, but wide laterally running along the ridge behind you, so approaches are likely to be perpindicular to the wind with a hook. Someone will have to fly this to see what the rotor is like on a big day

Don, I found another spot just to the west of this site, but it was getting dark. I've marked it "Site to Explore" in the .KMZ file. Did you try it? On Google Earth, it looks like its got more of a NW exposure.

Distances from Sheffield Reservoir:

Mile 0.0 - Sheffield Reservoir
Mile 6.0 - The Eliminator
Mile 6.8 - Intersection of Gibraltar Rd and East Camino Cielo (ECC)
Mile 7.5 - The newly refound "Gibraltar Site" with windsock on ECC.
Mile 10.3 - Cold Spring water tank & trailhead
Mile 10.8 - Another site to explore.
Mile 11.3 - The "East Spot" with moldie LZ.
Mile 12.0 - The big dirt spot!
Mile 13.3 - Romero Canyon water tank & trailhead, end of pavement.

Lance
Jan 28, 2006, 11:07 PM

East Spot Pics

I took some panorama shots but the files are too big. So here are a couple of shots to add to Don's. Definitely a no-retrieval site!

Lance
Jan 29, 2006, 12:20 AM
Fun ain't cheap!
I will always be nice to Mr. Cziltang Brone when I see him on the slope. He comes ready for action with a machete!

Hope you can locate that warmliner....

Droydx
Jan 29, 2006, 12:23 AM
Piscine Promulgator
More sites to check out. Sorry if these duplicate anything posted so far. Lance, didn't see your "Site to Explore," are you sure it exported?

Steve
Jan 29, 2006, 12:27 AM
Piscine Promulgator
Would really love to fly this site near the Winchester Canyon Gun Club. We'll definitely need J's machete for this one.

Steve
Jan 29, 2006, 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
Lance, didn't see your "Site to Explore," are you sure it exported?
Hmm, try this one? I put a bunch of placemarks into a temporary folder outside of 'My Places', then saved to a .KMZ file. Wish I had patience to read the Help file

ps. Yeah, Jeret's machete is useful for peeling apples ...

Lance
Jan 29, 2006, 12:53 AM
Piscine Promulgator
That worked. Thanks!

Steve
Jan 29, 2006, 01:23 AM
Slope elope
Sweet you guys! I just love these Google Earth bookmarks.

Here's some media for your saturday night viewing pleasure:
Note: videos require DivX
Last edited by Cziltang Brone; Jan 29, 2006 at 01:35 AM.
Jan 29, 2006, 02:21 AM
blah...

awesome!!

Glad you found the site Lance... Isn't is crazy how you can fly NNW or NE off the same face? The wind was all over the place and bumpy when I flew there but you could have seriously launched a Rodent there... Strait 1000 foot drop right off the launch... It will be a great compliment to what we have not in SB so, true Santa Ana's, bring it on! The LZ is very perpindicular to the face so rotor will be an issue in heavier days for sure... I actually think the grassy face(with the moto tracks) on the other side of the road would be the ideal LZ for dropping a mouldie in..

Don

EDIT: if I can bag out of some work tomorrow I'll shoot up and help search for Jerets plane... I personally think it's on the close side of the trail to Napps. It would have been a "dot" to be on the other side of the trail/road...
Jan 29, 2006, 10:13 AM
blah...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogin
I went up to check out Don's moldie-friendly site today and had a great time. I know the area well from mtn/dirt biking & hiking but never considered it for flying due to the drive.

The site is 1.0 mile east of the Cold Spring water tank. Its a ridge on the N side of ECC that runs E/W for about 0.3 miles with a saddle on each end. I've attached a .KMZ file with a placemark called "East Spot". It looks right over the Forbush and Blue Canyon drainages below, plus you can see Jameson Lake to the east, and Montecito Peak to the SE. Very scenic.

I hiked all along the ridgeline. A nice thing about the site is it has NW, N, and NE exposure!!! The wind was blowing at 330 (magnetic, not true, bearing) and I was able to fly the WP easily. The LZ is indeed as Don says, grassy and I couldn't find any big rocks. Its not perfect - not very deep with a picket fence of shrub oak, but wide laterally running along the ridge behind you, so approaches are likely to be perpindicular to the wind with a hook. Someone will have to fly this to see what the rotor is like on a big day

Don, I found another spot just to the west of this site, but it was getting dark. I've marked it "Site to Explore" in the .KMZ file. Did you try it? On Google Earth, it looks like its got more of a NW exposure.

Distances from Sheffield Reservoir:

Mile 0.0 - Sheffield Reservoir
Mile 6.0 - The Eliminator
Mile 6.8 - Intersection of Gibraltar Rd and East Camino Cielo (ECC)
Mile 7.5 - The newly refound "Gibraltar Site" with windsock on ECC.
Mile 10.3 - Cold Spring water tank & trailhead
Mile 10.8 - Another site to explore.
Mile 11.3 - The "East Spot" with moldie LZ.
Mile 12.0 - The big dirt spot!
Mile 13.3 - Romero Canyon water tank & trailhead, end of pavement.

Lance
So cool you got all the distances Lance. I didn't think of doing that, but even if I had, the 4" taller tires on my truck would have put you guys flying in the wrong places..

Yeah, the LZ at the far spot will be tricky in big wind. If you can stay under the rotor it will be fine, and the hill is so sharp and steep it should be ok. I'll have to try it out with the Thorn. That's what the plane is made for right?

So you actually flew there on a 330deg wind? It was even more west than usual lately at the lower ruins so it's interersting it was flyable. I've allways had the feeling that the east side of the range grabbed the wind from more north, so it's cool to get your feedback from the day to verify it. Hard to be in two places at once... I think I'm going to spend more weekday evenings on the east side to get used to these spots and try to get good at predicting the wind there.... I'm going to link the Montecito wind meter in a sec...