Jan 27, 2006, 03:42 PM
blah...
Windtalker say true North, and the close spot I found is about 1/2 mile away from it... I'm shooting up now.... Call for a report within 45min. If it sucks, I'll be over at the ruins...
to remove ads between posts
Jan 27, 2006, 04:13 PM
Dreaming Weasel Dreams
I ended up at farren too... wind was nw when I first showed up, but then died for a few minutes, and picked up from the southwest... wierd. I flew my weasel some, and another fellow (Curtis) was out there with his alula. Then the wind shifted back to NW again, and picked up strength... he switched to his zagi, and I tossed the weasel off the northwest face, but shortly thereafter my transmitter started yelling at me about low battery... I have *got* to invest in a peak charger (still using the wall-wart-charger for both my weasel and my tx). Hope y'all have fun up on the mountain! I'm back at work now, and then it's home to take care of the kids so my wife can sleep (everyone but me stayed home sick today).

-Rick
Jan 27, 2006, 09:00 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
It was pretty good on the NE face up at the Ruins. Glenn was there at about 2:00. I showed up a little later and Czitlang, came up about the same time. I chucked the Prodij out at the lower slope, an act of stupidity and landed in a 20' high scrub oak. The Prodij shrugged off that crash and we walked up to the top to where Glenn was flying his Mini Falcon. Chucked the French Fly off the top and it flew very well for Maiden #2.A. It's fast, turns well, rolls are axial, and good inverted. Love that MG06 airfoil. My elevator compensation for landing spoilers was exactly opposite what it should've been....needed up instead of DOWN. This made for a lawn dart landing style, OK, but I poped the tail, which I had only tacked down to final check the decalage. No Problemo!
Went to fly the Aldij.....dead battery, went to fly the Triffik..... dead HS 81 servo.
Aaargh, oh well. Still a good day. Waiting for Don's report from the East.

Droydx
Jan 27, 2006, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by THUREN
I found two AWESOME north, to north-east, spots today..

Anyone know if these are legit sloping sites? Do I git' to name them?

One is confirmed "crunchie approved" and should have lift at least as good as, or better than the upper ruins. There is a HUGE, and I mean huge considering location, grassy landing strip with ankle high plane catching bushes, and not a rock in sight. About 1500 feet to the canyon floor below with not a "turbulence creator" hill around. You can stand about 10 feet away from the front side "drop" so toss off will be a piece of CAKE! It is about 2 miles from the end of Gibraltar before it turns to dirt.... Right above Montecito. Google earth goes cloudy so no file to show.

Second site is right after the Gibraltar fork going south. After taking the fork, you go about 1.5 miles and park at the first spot where you can see both sides of the range. I flew here(from the road) a few days ago and it was UNREAL. This site will favor a true NNE wind. I didn't walk up the hill north of the parking spot as it was almost dark, but it looks big and grassy by looking at the Google earth file, and I did see it from the road and it looks EPIC... but I will on Friday when some North winds are expected... This site is literally verticle. You could basically roll on the "brush tops" all the way to the canyon floor about 2000 feet down!!! LOL!!!
Don,

Well, I flew the WP and Scorpion at Knapp's for a little today (Glenn, Andy, & Jeret were there) then Jeret and I drove for 20 minutes across Camino Cielo to the foamie spot you mentioned. Climbed to the top - great views of the Santa Ynez watershed. Its neat to see Gibraltar dam with so much water behind it.

Anyways, my compass says that spot faces directly due north, 360. The face of the slope is pretty deep and steep, plus the wind was blowing 20mph, so I tossed out. Wow, excellent lift, lots of vertical component and relatively smooth. That site is a winner! I think Andy and Glenn flew there awhile ago, so maybe the three of you can come up with a name?

The other spot sounds like its near Blue Canyon east of the trailhead for Romero Canyon. Longer drive, but I'll have to check it out sometime soon.

Lance
Jan 27, 2006, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by droydx
Chucked the French Fly off the top and it flew very well for Maiden #2.A. It's fast, turns well, rolls are axial, and good inverted. Love that MG06 airfoil. My elevator compensation for landing spoilers was exactly opposite what it should've been....needed up instead of DOWN.
I'll have Flys with that Prodij

Thanks for reminding me to use up compensation, think I've got down on my Prodij too!

Lance
Jan 27, 2006, 09:19 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogin
Don,

Well, I flew the WP and Scorpion at Knapp's for a little today (Glenn, Andy, & Jeret were there) then Jeret and I drove for 20 minutes across Camino Cielo to the foamie spot you mentioned. Climbed to the top - great views of the Santa Ynez watershed. Its neat to see Gibraltar dam with so much water behind it.

Anyways, my compass says that spot faces directly due north, 360. The face of the slope is pretty deep and steep, plus the wind was blowing 20mph, so I tossed out. Wow, excellent lift, lots of vertical component and relatively smooth. That site is a winner! I think Andy and Glenn flew there awhile ago, so maybe the three of you can come up with a name?

The other spot sounds like its near Blue Canyon east of the trailhead for Romero Canyon. Longer drive, but I'll have to check it out sometime soon.

Lance
Lance, what did you fly with there?

Andy
Jan 27, 2006, 09:32 PM
Andy,

There wasn't much light when we got there so I tossed the WP. I couldn't scope out the LZ situation at all, too dark, but it looks awefully dicey for moldies. We were basically standing on top of a very skinny ridge running E/W with the road right behind and below. The backside of the ridge seems cluttered, and the front side may be too steep for a plop n' drop. Must recon again in daylight. Lift was huge though.

Lance
Jan 27, 2006, 09:44 PM
Piscine Promulgator
Good wind coming through Carp on the way home... the humungogargantuan flag at the Harley dealership was straight out, so you know it's on.

I think I know the site you guys were flying at, is there a small wooden pallet up on top there still? Was scoping sites and found it once, a quick steep hike up from a parking pullout, faces almost perfectly north. Steep backside to the knoll, landing seems to be an issue. Pop & drop might work on the frontside, though. Need to get up there and scope-o-le.

Tomorrow?

Steve
Jan 27, 2006, 09:50 PM
Steve, that flag is probably big enough to tent my house!

Yes, that's the spot, somebody put a pole up there and hung a windsock. Its only a few minutes from the Eliminator.

Should be a good weekend if it doesn't rain tomorrow.

Lance
Jan 27, 2006, 09:52 PM
Piscine Promulgator
So if I understand all this correctly, Gibraltar is now paved, correct? I love flying up there but it takes as long or longer to get there as it does to the Ruins, and the spots seem to require that N or NE wind... too low of odds for me. However, this winter seems to be long on N wind, so who knows!

Will be interesting to see what comes of all this explorifying.

Steve
Jan 27, 2006, 09:54 PM
blah...

awesome guys!!! sounds like a great day of flying in SB!!!

Here's the scoop and pics..... First off, my day ended about 30min short of dark when I tried to DS at the far east spot, went too deep it dirty air, and lost my Devastators orientation strait up.... I knew it was coming in WAY hot and strait at me so I just pulled up only to pile strait in about 20 feet down the hill.... 100mph at least and a nice dust cloud.... Tail flew off, cracked some EPP in the nose, and wrinkled the Ultracoat almost all the way back to the TE... Strait iron on 4.5, and some gap filling CA took care of 90% of the damage...... Will be ripping tomorrow...

Now for pics of the spots...
Jan 27, 2006, 10:12 PM
blah...
Now for lift opinions on both sites..

Far east spot....

VERY versitile as you can pretty much fly as far out as you can see on both sides. A little bumpy, which might have been my wing I was flying being only 23 ounces, but FAAAASSSSSTTTTT.... This thing must have been about 100 on the frontside in some dives. I was having a tad bit of trouble cutting through the wind, but not as bad IMO as the upper ruins when it's crankin'. It was "about" 30mph constant when I was flying and just like the upper Ruins, landing WAS sketchy... With a lighter windspeed, or heavier plane, LZ is awesome. I searched for rocks and could only see a few, and the low bush there is that fluffy course stuff... Firm enough to catch a plane, but not too much to hurt it...

Closer east spot....

We'd have to do some "bowling ball" size rock moving to fly crunchies here.... Might be worth it because I could basically "spec-out" my wing on the pumps... Imagine a mouldie... Yikes...... So freakishly freaking fast it was crazy nuts... I could go a 100 feet down the front side a shoot strait up 100 feet over head... I flew frontside and DS'd for about 30 min and moved east...

I'm hooked on these spots... I might even venture to say that when it's North, the "flying" is probably better than the upper Ruins. Same type of lift, but you can fly right in front of your face and see DEEP down the hill..... I kinda like that... Landing on the other hand, it would be fine in 15-20mph but when I was up there in 30+, it was a crapshoot...

Don
Jan 27, 2006, 11:35 PM
Slope elope
Right on. It's definitely a killer spot with the right wind. I think it might be a nice complement to the Ruins when the wind switches to straight N or even NNE. Gibraltar still takes a looooong time though, so it might be worth just going up the normal way and just cruising over on ECC.

p.s. here's how it looked when Lance and I got there.
Jan 28, 2006, 12:10 AM
blah...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cziltang Brone
Right on. It's definitely a killer spot with the right wind. I think it might be a nice complement to the Ruins when the wind switches to straight N or even NNE. Gibraltar still takes a looooong time though, so it might be worth just going up the normal way and just cruising over on ECC.

p.s. here's how it looked when Lance and I got there.

So you guys got the LED's on the Whizzles? LOL!!!

Yeah, if there is much west in the wind both spots won't work, definitely a good option for the N-NE, which like Steve said, has been VERY common this year. Tomorrow looks to be the typical NW so hope to see you guys up at The Ruins.. Gibraltar is pretty fast when you live in Mission Canyon..

Don

Tomorrow's winds below.... Looks GREAT for the ruins.. Should be 15-20 up on the mountain... 10 am.. Pretty North actually...

4pm....
Jan 28, 2006, 09:28 AM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by THUREN
Yeah.... Looks to saying more west now....
You can blame me for that. I went exploring the area surrounding my new work location in San Clemente yesterday during lunch and found an ideal NE-facing slope about 3/4 mile away. I can fly from a paved parking lot and there's mowed lawn or soft shrubbery to land on.

I run CNC lathes and milling machines now and it's OK to eat while I'm monitoring the machines. Lunch break is an hour long so I figure I can get in about 50 minutes of flying therapy.

Which is why the wind will NEVER blow out of the NE again.

Pete