.................Santa Barbara sloping................... - Page 152 - RC Groups
Apr 03, 2016, 05:57 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Randall,
My daughter goes to CAL Poly. I've flown at Laguna Lake with my Weasel several times. There's usually some foamy wings out there every afternoon. Cuesta Ridge above the grade is another story!

Andy
to remove ads between posts
Apr 03, 2016, 08:13 PM
How do I get to Cuesta Ridge? And what makes it "another story "?
Thanks,
Jim
Apr 04, 2016, 11:27 AM
Fun ain't cheap!
Jim,
Check out the SLO thread, Alex May posted most of the flying sites in Google Earth (kmz) files: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...an+Luis+Obispo

Andy
Apr 04, 2016, 06:42 PM
hey thanks guys - i forgot your daughter went there andy - my brain has been swiss cheese for the past couple months....
Nov 17, 2016, 08:58 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Was really good yesterday up at the lower ruins. Glenn and I caught it, great direction average 20 to 30 at the most of gusts. Glenn was flying his trusty Valenta Espresso 2M moldy. It was ripping!

I tried out a new design....an EPP 48" ship. It flew, but not well...not enough tail moment, or volume on the vertical, because it wallowed around the longitudinal axis. So maybe a larger fin will help it. I ended up flying my PSS ME109 at around 40 oz (a mid-weight) and it was fun.

I'm hoping we get a good winter with some decent NW clearing winds, because it's been a long slow summer.

Andy
Nov 18, 2016, 05:36 PM
Andy - you provide inspiration about my retirement plans.

Nice to know someone was making use of that wind. i'm looking forward to some clearing wind saturday/sundays this december...
Jan 22, 2017, 12:07 PM
kdcnett

hi guys from colorado - would love to try coastal sloping

hi guys from colorado here a couple of days love to try coastal sloping --
not a bunch of experiance but i have kept a foam plane up in the air in ruff conditions
is there a spot or 2 that you would suggest
thanks
Jan 22, 2017, 03:14 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Hi Colorado,

You've hit a rainy spell. But keep an eye out for Elwood by looking at the SB airport wind.
http://www.sbslopers.org/
You want a SW from about 8 mph up. This front should clear through by Tuesday, and we get clearing winds from the NW after that. This means we head up the hill (hwy154) to E. Camino Cielo to fly at the Ruins....its a lot stronger and bumpier location than Elwood, but it's my favorite spot. During SE storms, I've flown at Shoreline Park in Santa Barbara, and even at the bluffs on UCSB...but I don't recommend them...lots of people, trees and possible ocean recovery if you dork out.

Check out Pete's page for info on the locations, its a great reference (thanks Pete!)

http://pgrpages.com/slopes/

Have a great visit, lots of stuff to see and do here!

Andy
Aug 05, 2017, 11:54 PM
iSlope
Hi guys

I will be in Santa Barbara on Monday and would like to fly at Ellwood. Would that be possible and will any of local pilots be there?

Thanks,
Gorazd
Aug 06, 2017, 11:42 PM
foam is fun, but glass is fast
Hello Gotazd, I flew Elwood today and it was better latter in the day, we had a strange weather where there is wind in town but not on the lip, anyway Elwood was very good today, started light but got really fun later, around 2:30-3. Search for rstien on this section to see if he can meet you, have fun!
Aug 07, 2017, 07:19 AM
Piscine Promulgator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisaneli
Hi guys

I will be in Santa Barbara on Monday and would like to fly at Ellwood. Would that be possible and will any of local pilots be there?

Thanks,
Gorazd
I also flew yesterday afternoon at Ellwood, and it was good (must've just missed James!).

I can see about making it out to the bluff after work today, but that would be around 5-5:30pm. Not sure how that would work with your schedule.

I use the KSBA (Santa Barbara Airport) Terminal Area Forecast for prediction, this site has a nice visualization of it:
https://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KSBA/weather

230* at 8kts should make for fun conditions at Ellwood.
Aug 08, 2017, 12:49 AM
iSlope
Hi guys

Thanks for the input. I had lots of fun with Michael and surfimp today. Wish I could spend more time at the slope.

Regards,
Gorazd
Aug 08, 2017, 08:30 AM
Flagstaff, AZ
Are Steve and Michael two of the best ambassadors for our hobby? YES!!! The picture with Gorazd makes me smile... that was me a few weeks ago. Fun, fun, fun!