Nov 10, 2006, 12:46 AM
Glory to God
so you went but did not fly, or flew a different plane Lance?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2006, 02:14 AM
Matt, there was plenty of lift for a WP when I got there (if only I had one!). It picked up later and was good enough to fly what I brought - a 1.5m moldie and a 2.5m scale ship. Those ships need wind in the mid-to-high teens to fly OK @Knapp's. Over 20mph (like on Thu) and its time to add ballast.

To see how the wind varies over time at Knapp's, check out the hourly readings at this cool site found by Don Thuren:

http://newweb.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/...e=1&banner=off

This one does the same thing for Ellwood:

http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/KSBA.html

Lance
Nov 10, 2006, 10:37 AM
blah...
The Saturday forecast went from bunk yesterday, to VERY promising this morning.... Looks to be a, dare I say it, sure thing at The Ruins tomorrow..

Nov 10, 2006, 10:49 AM
Glory to God
thanks for the links Lance. Do you guys find them to be pretty accurate? I am a surfer also, and I know that predictions are one thing, but often reality is something different.

Matt

PS, I look at the latest forecast, is showed calm for yesterday at noon. I was out sloping yesterday at noon at Ellwood. There was a 5-10 minute calm period, but other than that there was plenty of wind to slope my EZ*. Sometimes you just got to go .
Nov 10, 2006, 11:11 AM
blah...
Totally Matt...

They really just are predictions and as often as they say there will be wind and there isn't, they could predict zero and there will be some wind... I will say that we have gotten fairly decent at seeing if it will pan out or not, and 5mph of wind at Ellwood would be considered not worth flying in for me..

FWIW, the planes we are usually flying(besides a Weasel) need about 3 times the lift minimum, compared to what your EZ will fly in, and this is why we fly up the hill...

Also, I personally think Ellwood is as risky, if not more risky, than flying at the Ruins.. If you keep the plane in somewhat close(far out compared to Ellwood) at the Ruins, recovery is easy compared to scaling a cliff or taking a 15min walk down to the beach IMO...

If we go up tomorrow afternoon, you should try to make it... If you have fun at Ellwood the mountains will surely be a big eye opener, in a good way...

-Don
Nov 10, 2006, 12:04 PM
Glory to God
I bet it will be fun up at the ruins, sometime I will go. Tomorrow I will be watching my older boys running at Mt Sac. I do agree Ellwood can be risky, I almost ended up with my EZ* in the ocean yesterday. But that is also because I refused to use power on that flight, which was a big mistake. A bit of juice earlier on, and I would not have been in that position.

After flying the weasel on a simulator, I can imagine the sorts of things you guys are doing at the ruins. No doubt I will make it up there sometime, but with lots of family committments, lunchtime at Ellwood often works well for me.

I will keep checking this thread, and assume you invitation for yesterday will remain open for other days.

Matt
Nov 10, 2006, 01:13 PM
Right, same thing with surfing the air ... you eventually learn to correlate reality with the weather predictions. The real-time data helps too. Still dealing with probabilities though.

This video shows the close-in terrain at Knapp's. Also demonstrates what you can do with a WP in almost non-existant lift. I think Don is DS'ing at the end of the clip too?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=474645&

Good to hear kids are still interested in sports. I see the kids at SBJH and they just stand around at PE!

Lance
Nov 10, 2006, 03:22 PM
Glory to God
Thx for the link, the movie is not loading for me yet, nice to see what that spot looks like. I could not spot the ruins in the pic though. I am sure it will be clear once I make it up there.

My boys run track and x-country, tomorrow is league finals. I am glad they don't sit around during PE, high school sports is important for kids.
Nov 10, 2006, 08:33 PM
Glory to God
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogin
Right, same thing with surfing the air ... you eventually learn to correlate reality with the weather predictions. The real-time data helps too. Still dealing with probabilities though.

This video shows the close-in terrain at Knapp's. Also demonstrates what you can do with a WP in almost non-existant lift. I think Don is DS'ing at the end of the clip too?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=474645&

Good to hear kids are still interested in sports. I see the kids at SBJH and they just stand around at PE!

Lance
After watching the video, I see what there is to like about up there. I pictured sheer drop offs of several hundred feet or something. it looks pretty nice, relatively easy to recover an errant flight. Maybe I will make it up there next weekend.
Nov 11, 2006, 11:56 AM
blah...
It's ON people...... Ripping at the Goleta foothills...
Nov 11, 2006, 12:59 PM
blah...
LaCumbre peak is showing good wind, and nothing else is... Strange..

It's about 20mph constant in Goleta and the palm tree in my back yard looks like it's going to fall over.. Paradise road shows almost no wind...
Nov 11, 2006, 05:28 PM
Should be awesome up there!

Just got back from East Beach. White caps on the ocean, sailboats tuffing it out tacking upwind, and some kayaker's got stranded. The entire beach was flat from the wind.

Lance
Nov 11, 2006, 05:48 PM
trying to kick the habit
Dont know how big it is right now in SB, but it is ripping at the Cross in vta. Most people are stuck on the ground
Nov 11, 2006, 07:43 PM
blah...
SWEET time up there!!

A few pics and a little vid of Glenn's Banana in a bit...
Nov 11, 2006, 08:31 PM
Looking forward to some video!

Wow, it must have been a hurricane at the Cross if people were sitting! Two years ago, I met someone there flying a Bluto in some pretty stiff conditions. It had a very large lead plate attached to the bottom.

Lance