.................Santa Barbara sloping................... - Page 101 - RC Groups
May 24, 2010, 05:20 PM
Slopey, the 8th dwarf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstein9
Lots of people...mostly weazelites. The lift was UNREAL.

However there were several severe blowbacks...but all was found.
Nice Herb, where at?
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2010, 05:21 PM
Sky Surfers
Quote:
Originally Posted by KODfly
Nice Herb, where at?
Took the words right outta my mouth .
May 24, 2010, 06:50 PM
Slopey, the 8th dwarf.
Hey, I heard there are some good places to fly down on the Mesa. Anyone know more details for me?
May 24, 2010, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Hey, I heard there are some good places to fly down on the Mesa. Anyone know more details for me?
You can fly shoreline park by SBCC when the stormy SE winds come in and you can check the wind at the link below. The link is of the current wind at the Santa Barbara Yacht Club which updates every 10-15min. SBYC is located right next to the harbor on Ledbetter beach, which is the beach below shoreline park.

http://www.sbyc.org/weather.php

And then you can fly Elings park as well when there are N or S winds. You can check the wind by looking at the yacht club wind and direction and it is the same direction and wind speed (give or take a few mph) at Elings.

-Kyle
May 24, 2010, 11:45 PM

Eneloops in SB

I'm a fan of Sanyo Eneloop batteries for small ships. If you like to build packs from loose cells, I found a good local source for Eneloops:

http://www.depoteco.com/

Their prices are very competitive (same as Amazon.com right now) and they carry AA's and AAA's. Plus they'll deliver for free in their electric truck I ordered/paid online and picked them up after work.

The only other source I know of is Costco but they don't always have them or don't have AAA's.

Lance
May 25, 2010, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconjet
Saw in the local paper that the property is in forclosure. Wonder if the bank had anything to do with it?
Which paper did you see the article in? Is that property called the "Eagle Canyon Ranch?

Lance
May 25, 2010, 09:12 AM
Fun ain't cheap!
Quote:
Check out the Douglas Family Preserve or Wilcox property. That used to be my home slope when I lived on the mesa during the 80's. Heads up for para-jellies in the air, and you have to keep it out of the trees!
Otherwise it can be a fun slope for a S SW wind, similar to Elwood, but much larger lift when it hits.

Andy
May 25, 2010, 09:51 AM
Slopey, the 8th dwarf.
Cool, where in Elings park is the slope?
May 25, 2010, 09:55 AM
Falconjet,

Would you be able to post the website link if you could can find it online? I would be interested to read it.

-Kyle
May 25, 2010, 12:23 PM
Slopey, the 8th dwarf.
Has anyone flown Grass Mt. in Santa Clarita. It looks pretty awesome there. Is it good for weasels? If so, you know how to get there?
May 25, 2010, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Has anyone flown Grass Mt. in Santa Clarita. It looks pretty awesome there. Is it good for weasels? If so, you know how to get there?
I haven't but others from SB have (e.g. Droydx, Bojo). Directions here:

http://pgrpages.com/rc/slopeinfo.htm

Lance
May 25, 2010, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Cool, where in Elings park is the slope?
depends upon which way the wind is blowing...

the hill where the paragliders take off from, the point overlooking las positas st., the valley between those two points... when it's blowing east there is even a small hill right behind some houses near valerio st.

was up yesterday, wasn't hitting much though...
May 25, 2010, 02:14 PM
Hey lance,
Do you solder your own pack or use a batt holder like the ones for AA packs from Radio Shack?
May 25, 2010, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=RCpeterV=-
Took the words right outta my mouth .
at Knapp's - it was great up there, even after i stuffed it into a tree for the 2nd time after james had to climb another tree and knock it out with a stick.

weasel came out unscathed both times.

i've been working on a new wind meter that includes direction, albeit in a funky way, but it gets the job done:

http://redigital.org/sbwindi/new.php?l=lacumbre
May 25, 2010, 08:29 PM
Piscine Promulgator
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogin
I haven't but others from SB have (e.g. Droydx, Bojo). Directions here:

http://pgrpages.com/rc/slopeinfo.htm
It's a fun site. A bit of a drive but worth it for the flying and the view. Lift is good, much more than enough for a Weasel. I've only been once, but would very much like to visit again sometime.

I'm heading to the Fake Fest this weekend... probably Saturday. Anyone else planning to go?

Steve