Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by mnowell129, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 27, 2016, 02:19 PM
I'm not as bad as they say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrobzoom
Mickey on some of your first AutoGyro I saw you had flybars.

On some of the Autogyros I see heads running a flybar and heads with two and three blades.

Why does some gyros have flybars and some not? If you elect to run with out a flybar, what special designs or requirements come in play?

Will you have to run a flybarless unit similar helis?
Lots of factors at play here. I used flybars so I could use a two bladed semi-rigid head. Otherwise the controls would be too sensitive. Most use 3 bladed heads because this serves to desensitize the controls some. Others have done two bladed heads and dealt with control sensitivity by tip weight or other aerodynamic surfaces. Small two bladed rotors can be very tricky.
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2016, 03:15 PM
If I wanted to do away with the flybar on your Begi what do you suggest with only using two blades?
Oct 06, 2016, 08:52 AM
I'm not as bad as they say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrobzoom
If I wanted to do away with the flybar on your Begi what do you suggest with only using two blades?
I would probably use one of the many working three blade heads first, with some tip weight. Then once I had that sorted out I'd make a two bladed version using the same construction. Begi was very short coupled, with no stab and depended on the rotor being stable by itself, hence the flybar. If you are going to keep the general layout then you probably want to make the rotor pretty stable by itself.
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
Jan 26, 2017, 05:47 AM
Does having a propeller behind the rotor axis affects the flight in some way compared to having it forward of the rotor? I thought that if it's on a greater distance before the rotor & the prop axis is slightly leaning down, then it would be trying to stabilize the horizontal flight as the rotor is dragged behind. While if it the prop is behind the rotor then the model would tend to fly with a hanging tail unless I make the tail stabilizer divert the prop's flow a little down to balance the model. Is such correct?
Looks like the rotor for a model must have either zero or negative incidence - how such affects the lift & rotating speed? Maybe then the model flies not cause of the spinning rotor providing a lift, but a drag like if it's an ubrella there?
I have a design of an autogyro with a 2 blades rotor, & a ducted prop behind the rotor - or would it be better without the duct & with some 3-4 blades?

Also, what I have is a RC from micro toy car - engine on/off & steering left/right controls only - would that be enough for an autogyro model? It would mean the rotor is fixed (unless I can make it self-adjustable for a stabilized flight), fixed horizontal stabilizer (unless it can be adjusted before the flight) & controlable rudder for left-right steering.

Another thing is, I read the real autogyro rotor should have self-adjustable blades, especially when it's a sigle rotor, yet I see many models have a solid rotor & fly quite good withou getting tilted to the side & falling.
Jan 29, 2017, 05:19 AM
I think it depends on the thrust lines relationship to the cg. Measuring the cg with pushers is done by hanging from the mast and the nose. Refer to the RPG Gyro build log.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk