This thread is privately moderated by mnowell129, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 16, 2020, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTradioman
Build the Whippit exactly as the plan and instructions. Make sure the hang angle is good ( slightly more nose down is ok). Set the radio up as a flying wing, elevon set up with pitch and roll on the same stick. Static set up as per instructions. When your ready to fly, start with very very slow take off runs to get the rotor up to speed, hop off the ground and slowly bring the throttle down. This is how we check the trims before committing to flight. Keep,it close.
I'm sorry to be a bother, but the plans do not specify the thickness of the foamboard. I pulled these plans from the 'net, and there are no copyrights listed, so I've attached the part with the body parts here of anyone has any suggestions on the thickness of the board.

Diolch yn fawr i chi.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2020, 02:32 AM
6mm
Oct 17, 2020, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_laermans
6mm
Diolch/Thanks!
Oct 18, 2020, 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by querist
I'm sorry to be a bother, but the plans do not specify the thickness of the foamboard. I pulled these plans from the 'net, and there are no copyrights listed, so I've attached the part with the body parts here of anyone has any suggestions on the thickness of the board.

Diolch yn fawr i chi.
Ok so that’s one of the “Derivative” Whippits designed by Steve Jones and Tim Potter. All the Whippits, the original and the derivatives, are made from 9mm EPP foam board. There was an original version made from 6mm Depron. The plan for that can be got by contacting the designer, Richard Harris, he will then email you the plan FOC. There is a new version called the “Whippiteer” due to be published in a U.K. magazine. This is made from traditional Balsa wood. The prototypes have been built and flown. I’ll post. Link to video.
Whippiteer formation flight, well kind of! (4 min 22 sec)
Oct 18, 2020, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTradioman
Ok so that’s one of the “Derivative” Whippits designed by Steve Jones and Tim Potter. All the Whippits, the original and the derivatives, are made from 9mm EPP foam board. There was an original version made from 6mm Depron. The plan for that can be got by contacting the designer, Richard Harris, he will then email you the plan FOC. There is a new version called the “Whippiteer” due to be published in a U.K. magazine. This is made from traditional Balsa wood. The prototypes have been built and flown. I’ll post. Link to video. https://youtu.be/l4v_lOHuGdQ
Thanks, yes, he found me on very large social media site the name of which I cannot mention here because it causes an error.

I'm looking forward to making my first AG.
Feb 15, 2021, 07:04 PM

Couple questions

A couple questions:

Say I'm building an aircraft with twin 34 inch 3-bladed rotors.

1) What is a typical RPM rate for an RC AutoGyro?
2) Should EACH rotor have dihedral or should they be straight?
3) SHould the rotors be mounted such that they form a dihedral with each other?
Jan 15, 2022, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by querist

Diolch yn fawr i chi.
Did you ever get to finish the WHippit? If so how did it do?
Jan 20, 2022, 06:21 PM
This might be a new direction for the thread... If it's inappropriate, please let me know.

I'm an accomplished fixed wing pilot but have always wanted to explore autogyros. My main question is, what would be an appropriate first Autogyro for a newbie, who happens to be a fairly accomplished pilot??

I see that most of this thread has data from years gone by, so I am asking what might be good for now, in 2022, to explore. I'd like a kit but might look at an ARF (if such a thing exists). In this day and age, I'd prefer to go electric, something in the 3S to 4S range or so...

If there is current info already in this thread, just direct me to the post number. I appreciate all the helpful advice you might be able to throw my way.

Bob
Last edited by N1EDM; Jan 20, 2022 at 06:57 PM.
Jan 23, 2022, 06:32 AM
The BangGood Luobo V2 is excellent to start and further experiment with.
Jan 28, 2022, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_laermans
The BangGood Luobo V2 is excellent to start and further experiment with.
I have one of those and I'm having trouble getting it up into the air successfully. I think I'm just not waiting for the rotor to spin up enough. But, I'm in a wheelchair for a few months due to knee surgery, so it will be a while before I can try it again.

Thanks!
Jan 29, 2022, 10:32 AM
Well, I found something called the RotorShape on Icare-Icarus. It's looked about the same size and shape as the Luobo, and I already have an account with Icarus. The price wasn't that much different either.

The RotorShape https://icare-icarus.3dcartstores.co...yro_p_433.html is on backorder but I thought I would give it a try anyway whenever it is ready to ship. The price is a bit more than the Luobo .

Here's the Manual for it http://www.laheli.com/files/navody/NavodRS_CZEN.pdf I also found a few videos on YouTube. Just do a search for RotorShape.

Here's a review on RCGroups: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...utogyro-Review

Thanks or the suggestion. Does anyone reading this have a RotorShape? What motor are you using. The instructions are not specific about that but at least one other person has used a TowerPro 2408-21, which I cannot find in stock anywhere. I probably have something suitable in my stash, though.

Thanks again,

Bob
Jan 29, 2022, 10:44 AM
On another question, if you have the time, I realize that any gyro blades need some kind of protection.

I see where a lot of guys use iron covering but I was wondering if I'd be better off using some kind of clear wood finish instead?? It would probably take a coat or two (sanding in between to smooth things out).

I was also wondering about whether it would be beneficial to flow some thin CA on the LE and TE to minimize hangar rash??

Thanks,

Bob
Feb 20, 2022, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1EDM
This might be a new direction for the thread... If it's inappropriate, please let me know.

I'm an accomplished fixed wing pilot but have always wanted to explore autogyros. My main question is, what would be an appropriate first Autogyro for a newbie, who happens to be a fairly accomplished pilot??

I see that most of this thread has data from years gone by, so I am asking what might be good for now, in 2022, to explore. I'd like a kit but might look at an ARF (if such a thing exists). In this day and age, I'd prefer to go electric, something in the 3S to 4S range or so...

If there is current info already in this thread, just direct me to the post number. I appreciate all the helpful advice you might be able to throw my way.

Bob
There’s is a very good group on a well known social media run by a company now known as Meta. Search for RC Model Autogyros. Lots of friendly help there. Anyhow an excellent kit for a first gyro would be the JAG, available on eBay and also has a discounted set of blades from AJ Blades and accessories to complete from
https://www.coolwind.co.uk/ Who also has a lot of free download plans from whirlybird aviation.
Feb 20, 2022, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the Heads-Up, BigT !!

Bob
Apr 22, 2022, 01:42 PM

Crane Fly SFH head material(s)?

Hi All,

I'm in the process of making a Crane Fly from material in my parts bin and could use a few tips on what things provide good donor material for delta plates?

Also, while I'm at it, some alternatives to the "Blue" rotor head bearing assembly would be appreciated. I don't think that specific motor is still sold, but if you can suggest something similar that has worked, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Quick Reply