GP Lancair EP - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 22, 2006, 11:48 PM
York Electronics
Discussion

GP Lancair EP

Ordered today. Anyone else getting this kit?

Link

I'm thinking a BL Outrunner on 3S 2200ma Lipo.

Gary
--
to remove ads between posts
Jan 23, 2006, 08:45 AM
It is talking to me. I hope it is not delayed like the Hellcat/Corsair.

It looks fantastic. What will you use for power.

Mike
Jan 23, 2006, 11:20 AM
York Electronics
One things for sure, a 32oz Speed 400 is not going to do it for me.

I'm going to get the kit before ordering a motor. I want a outrunner BL motor but I don't know if it will fit in the cowling. We'll see. In any case, It'll be BL for sure. I'm targeting 250 watts max (125+ watts per pound).

This is why I've only ordered the kit and a Castle 45 for now.

Got a call today from HL - Wrong credit card number . At least I know they have the order!

Gary
--
Jan 23, 2006, 11:23 AM
Quote:
One things for sure, a 32oz Speed 400 is not going to do it for me.
Yep no kidding....200-250w should do very nicely. I agree on the outrunner but the fit may be an issue. I was almost wondering of you could just chop the nose off (at the right length for you particular motor) and then stick a ply firewall glued directly the the glass fuse.

The shaft still needs to poke out in the right plane though.

Mike
Jan 23, 2006, 11:30 AM
York Electronics
Yup, the motor shaft sits close to the top of the cowling even on Arnold's 60 size Lancair. He runs a AXI 4130/20 and it's even a close fit. The kit calls for a 1-1/2" spinner if that give us any idea of the internal clearence.

Did you see that the kit includes a 1800ma battery and a 30 amp controller? At first I thought this was part of the 'combo' price, but after looking, it's not (according to the web site docs). Like so many ARF's, I wish they would keep the motor, gear box, battery and controller out of the kit to keep the price low. Still, $99 for an ARF with a glass fuselage isn't bad.

Gary
--
Jan 23, 2006, 11:40 AM
Wow that is amazing. They must have a large surplus on that stuff!

Mike
Jan 23, 2006, 12:02 PM
Im going to order it and fly it stock for a while. As long as it flies...ill be happy. Im not looking for amazing performance right now.
Jan 23, 2006, 01:11 PM
York Electronics
That could be wise. The picture of the carry through rod looks small. I hope it's stronger than it looks.

Gary
--
Jan 24, 2006, 01:54 PM
I just called tower, they say early feb now.
Jan 24, 2006, 02:43 PM
heeeeeheheh i just ordered it anyway. (along with a gws corsair)

dang those coupons!!! 25 bucks off $148+ order...plus my 20 dollar gift certificate. It was like buy the lancair, get the corsair for 11 dollars.

Now, how to sneek boxes into small apartment w/o wife noticing.

Jan 24, 2006, 03:12 PM
York Electronics
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotime242
Now, how to sneek boxes into small apartment w/o wife noticing.

Distract her with flowers .

Gary
--
Jan 24, 2006, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Warner
Distract her with flowers .

Gary
--
Haha, i might have to do that!

Oh and i also got a set of gws floats that might eventually find their way onto the lancair once i have settled into its flying characteristics and if i think it would work well. The size is about right.
Jan 24, 2006, 04:27 PM
York Electronics
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotime242
Haha, i might have to do that!

Oh and i also got a set of gws floats that might eventually find their way onto the lancair once i have settled into its flying characteristics and if i think it would work well. The size is about right.
Lancair on floats. I love it!

Gary
--
Jan 25, 2006, 02:47 AM
Boy, what a great deal, motor, speed control and battery plus a model all for $99! Am I reading this wrong?

Mark.
Jan 25, 2006, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Winstanley
Boy, what a great deal, motor, speed control and battery plus a model all for $99! Am I reading this wrong?

Mark.
Nope! I think its a great deal too...even if it is brushed stuff that most guys here would find underpowered. I personally am not into the brushless/lipo thing yet, so this is great for me!

I cant believe how far this hobby has come in a couple of years, no WAY could you find a deal like this a couple years ago.