Jan 19, 2006, 04:41 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Union Model Co ' J3 Piper Cub '

Hello all,

I have been a great fan of the Union Model Co. kit range for many years. When I heard that Union were producing a J3 Piper Cub Part Fly model, I put one on my wanted list. www.unionmodel.co.jp/ ( Will need to convert text, it's in Japanese )

Unlike the most of the Union kit being made from a moulded foam airframe, this particular model was model consisted of a balsawood airframe construction, utilising plastic moulded parts, cowling, spats etc
The airframe is covered in ' Profilm ' or otherwise know ' Oracover '. The overall apperance & kit quality is exerllent, to Union's very high standards.

Unfortunatly there are no longer any distributors of the Union model Kits here in England.
However, all was not lost as a company in Japan will ship these kits directly to most parts of the world with a very reasonable shipping cost. This company's web page is: http://homepage1.nifty.com/ishiimokei/english/index.htm

The models spec:

length 645mm
Wing Span 820mm
Area of main wing 11.6dm2
All-up weight About 500g
Motor 7.2V turbo motor unit
Propeller SR-180 propeller
Gear ratio 3.12:1
R/C device 4ch
Aileron, rudder, elevator, and motor control
- The aileron is two micro servo specification.
Flight Battery 7.2V-600mAh
Last edited by Union Models; Jan 19, 2006 at 04:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2006, 05:05 AM
Thread OP

The kit recommends the use of two micro servos to operate each alieron. I couldn't see the need for this, maybe it was easier for the manufacture. Two servos hanging out of the underside of the wing apperared to me as to spoil the models good looks.

To over come this, I decided to modify the wing slightly & install a single 9g micro servo in the centre of the wing.

This was a simple process which took only a hour or so to complete.
Jan 19, 2006, 05:20 AM
Thread OP

Having completed the wing, the rest of the model was completed as per the models instructions.

The tail & fin comprised of a built up light structure. One thing I particualy liked about the kit was a steerable tail wheel, which is connected to the rudder via a plastic clip, held in place with a small screw.

The model is powered by a supplied geared 1:2.66, 300 sized ' Turbo ' motor. This is simply held onto the firewall via 3 wood screws.

The wheel pants are moulded plastic, which clip together once the wheel assemply is put together. These all connect onto a aluminium undercarriage, held to the fuselage with two screws.
To keep up the apperance, I cut ' flash stipes ' out of profilm to add to the wheel pants. These ironed onto the wheel pants very easily.

The kit provides a very neat plastic moulded cowling & engine detail. theses required a little care in cutting out. Once glued together, they were painted with Tamiya plastic paint, to resemble a neat looking engine.
Last edited by Union Models; Jan 19, 2006 at 05:33 AM.
Jan 19, 2006, 05:30 AM
Thread OP

The wing is held in place with two wood screws & a wooden peg in the leadingedge.

The struts are ready covered only requiring the plastic struct locators to be glued to the strut ends. these are held onto the fuselage via two small screws & the strut ends simply clip to the wings with plastic clips.

The flight battery is a 6 cell 600 AE pack. This is located into the underside of fuselage via a plastic hatch, a neat instalation without the pain of removing the wing evey flight.

Overall I'm very impressed with the final outcome of the model.

I'm waiting for the lousey weather to improve for the first flight.

Mike.
Jan 19, 2006, 11:44 AM
Very good finish, Mike! Also a nice mod for single servo. I hope the maiden flight will go well.

Satoru
Jan 19, 2006, 11:44 AM
Thread OP

Well fokes, I couldn't wait, despite a little wind I had to test fly this beauty.

As I was flying from a football field, the ground was rough enough to prevent the model from taking off.
So a gentle lauch into wind & off she went.

The box states ' Expert ' and I my inital thoughts were this is no first time beginners model, as it required to be flown.

I had the alierons set 1/8" up / down with 3/4 " either way rudder coupled on the transmitter.

The rudder was too much throw mixed in, resulting in a snap spin if over controlled.
Flicking the switch on the Tx so the rudder was removed with the ailerons as the only left / right control, gave a much better flight, without any untoward snap spins, however the aliron throw was not enough to cope with the breeze.

I have now reduced the rudder throw to 1/2" either way & increased the aileron throw to 1/4" each way, still coupled alieron / elevator, this improved the flights some what.

Landings were none eventful, line her up & she floats in, without nosing over.

Flight times on the 6 cell 600AE flight pack was 5 mins of almost full power, to over come the breezy conditions.

All in all, I would honersley say this is a superb model, which I shall contine to fly for many months to come.

Roll on summer !

Mike.
Jan 22, 2006, 02:59 PM
Mike, Very interested in this model! Did you order from Japan? How long did it take to get to you and how well was it packaged for the long trip?

Regards,
Scott Morgan
Jan 23, 2006, 11:44 AM
Thread OP

Union Model J3 Piper Cub

The model kit was purchased from http://homepage1.nifty.com/ishiimokei/english/index.htm

They don't have the model in stock, if you email them they are very quick to order a kit directly from ' Union Model '

The kit took two weeks to arrive from my order to Ishiimokei direct to my door.

They package the kit well & it is sent EMS insured airmail.

PS there are two colour schemes available of this model BLUE ( which is the model presented here ) or RED sunburst. Make sure you tell Ishiimokei which colour shceme you want.

Cheers

Mike
Mar 30, 2008, 05:22 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Models
The model kit was purchased from http://homepage1.nifty.com/ishiimokei/english/index.htm

They don't have the model in stock, if you email them they are very quick to order a kit directly from ' Union Model '

The kit took two weeks to arrive from my order to Ishiimokei direct to my door.

They package the kit well & it is sent EMS insured airmail.

PS there are two colour schemes available of this model BLUE ( which is the model presented here ) or RED sunburst. Make sure you tell Ishiimokei which colour shceme you want.

Cheers

Mike
THESE KITS ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE. UNION MODELS NO LONGER TRADE
Sep 22, 2015, 07:13 AM
Hi, I have one of the Piper Cub J3 from Union Model and want to sell it.
Can anyone say me how much money I can get for the model? Thx
Feb 12, 2018, 06:06 PM

Union Piper Cub

Do you still have this kit?

Quick Reply