Apr 19, 2001, 06:31 PM
Thread OP

Any EDF First Flight Tips for a Beginner?

I am going to be getting my first EDF, a Flash E-74 w/stock power system on 10x1250SCR cells. Andy W had been helping me with flight tips and e-flight in general but was wondering if anyone else had any first flight/or any EDF flight tips. This is not my first airplane, I've been flying a 450 Zagi and I had about 60 flights on my .40 aileron trainer before I crashed. Thanks -
Andrew
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2001, 06:49 PM
jets react more slowly to power, take a little longer to get up on step, for a given battery count have less power than props. biggest mistake is to try and climb too soon. Make sure on your first flight there is a strong wind to hand launch into (lack of airspeed kills jets quickly). use a bungee if you dont know how to get a good strong level toss. My experence is with a KY T-33 and a MINX, both very forgiving planes as long as you do as described.
Apr 19, 2001, 07:41 PM
Andrew, I would say the Flash E-74 is a very good choice. Compared to other ARFs, there is NO lack of power on the stock set-up so hand-launch will be "easier" compared to the Ky T-33, F-16, Robbe Gnat, and etc.
I've seen and flown the Flash. Now, I have one that will be RTF this weekend if I get the battery packs I ordered. Mine though will be bungee-launched (a matter of preference).
I recommend that you use the Panasonic 2000 NiMH for 6-7 minutes of flight.

Ron
Apr 21, 2001, 08:30 AM
Ditto on the bungee.

I used to HL my T33. These had to be the most stressful 15 second moments of my brief R/C involvement.

So many things that can go wrong. It's something like driving a golf ball off a tee. One shot will be perfect, the next ain't worth spit. Except a 'mulligan' with an EDF might be a little more expensive than in golf.

And yes, as you practice hand launching you will (or should) get better at it. But right from the beginning the bungee launches will be consistant.

I followed the thread on bungees, took the advice of those who have done this. I think it is safe to say I will not HL either of my EDF's again.

BTW, my next EDF will be the Flash E-74.

Apr 21, 2001, 11:02 PM
Thread OP
The Flash is coming along nicely, Its building fairly easily and I am a terrible builder so anyone can probably build this thing. So far this kit is very impressive. Where can I get a bungee? (although I fly sometimes with AndyW and he hand launches his jet)
Andrew
Apr 22, 2001, 12:34 AM
I use the Dynaflite Upstart ($19.95-24.95).
It's basically 30 ft of surgical cord attached to 30 ft of nylon thread. Others can tell you about the catapult launcher (w/c is better bec. it is a one-man job).

Unless my EDF weighs 30 oz or less (like my Electroscreamer), I prefer to bungee launch for reasons mentioned by Larry. I've seen Mark Nankivil though hand-launch his Flash.

Ron

[This message has been edited by electricrcflyer (edited 04-22-2001).]
Apr 22, 2001, 06:02 AM
Hi Ron,

Just for S&G's I put a launch hook on my ES.

Yesterday morning I practised launching the ES. Did 6 perfect launches before the battery pooped out.

I've settled on 10 lbs. of tension, launch with power on.

0 to 30 MPH, 25 feet altitude in less than 1 second.

IMHO, this is the only way to go

Apr 22, 2001, 07:32 PM
Larry, since your reported success on the catapult launcher, I've been thinking of going that route. Am just scared of damaging my precious EDFs while experimenting on a new technique for launching.

I fly "small" models so I am quite "experienced" in hand-launching; BUT,
as I mentioned, over 30 oz, results have been inconsistent so I started using a bungee.

I still HL my ES bec. it is still light at less than 25 oz and besides, my Velkom has a lot of power to spare.

Ron

Apr 22, 2001, 08:26 PM
p471701
p471701
ron;
as long as you get enough pull on the bungee you'll be fine.i did some tension testing last week.tried 25lbs. on a 40oz.f/a18 at full thottle i think it was slowed down after the launch....................gregg
Apr 22, 2001, 09:29 PM
I timed the bungee set-up. From the time I started my stop watch to the time I was ready for pre-flight, about 4 minutes elapsed. An insignificant price to pay for a consistent launch.

How much repair can I do in 4 minutes?

Cripes, I just realized I sound like a life long smoker who finally quit

Sep 27, 2008, 08:59 PM
Always Check UR 6
A new trick I saw recently was with an EDF low wing (like the Alfa A4 Skyhawk) is to mount wheels in the flat fuse or fuse and low mounted wing. NOT using "gear". The wheels stay 80% or so inside the body of the plane - they are almost invisible in flight and with a flat and clean runway surface you can drive like a low rider up to controlable airflow speeds and lift off. NO catapult set up or tricky tosses. Also allows touch and goes. Drew

Quick Reply