Jan 26, 2006, 11:52 AM
Toof-fairy
Yeah, i just felt like making one.

LOL, its proof of my condition CMD = compulsive modelling disorder

The rudder is a piece of normal paper, which is easy to use as a trim or primary control. With full throw (45 deg) it circles in 1m. so i throw it hard away from me and it turns back toward me, flies behind and around me so i catch it in front of me.

Its pretty cute really.

Owen
to remove ads between posts
Jan 27, 2006, 03:12 AM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
Owen,

1m... wow, that's tiny. perhaps you should make something that can do 10m circles? Or are you thermalling above your stove

Paul.
Jan 27, 2006, 03:43 AM
Dream,Build, Make it FLY
Just shows how addictive this hobby is huh?.
I save the big meat trays that we get from the supermarket and make gliders for my 2 boys. They fly great .

I think I have a touch of CMD myself Always got a scratch build model on the go. Just Finished a Mini Telemaster and my next may be a Slipso...LOL

I make so many trips to my LHS (Addies Hobbies) for Balsa and CA and have been asked what on earth I am building. I reply "I think you mean what have I just finished and what am I starting"..LOL
To much time on my hands..Haven't been to work In 4 months so all I do Is build Build Build.

Paul ,
It's been stinking hot here for a while now so I haven't had a chance to torture the 2S2200 but will as soon as it's cool and calm enough to do so.
Oh Yeah Did you draw up the Slipso yourself..? Or was it from a Plan..?

Mark
Jan 27, 2006, 04:31 AM
Toof-fairy
Well when i glide it around, i can see it being severely affected by my body heat thermals. It almost stalls when it enters my thermal and then wobbles around a bit and then exits and flies smoothly again.

Those meat trays are really just depron foam, with a smooth coating and maybe with a higher density and softer feel. It works just as good and is significantly cheaper.

Except the bones in the ones i usually get are damaged.

Owen
Jan 31, 2006, 02:23 AM
N00b Sloper Addict
Excuse me for asking a dumb question. Alot has changed since I was last in this sport. Could some please shed some light on the whole "speed controler with 'bec' " thing. Speed controler idea i get, but bec?? WTH is this thing? Help

____
l\
l \
l \______________ Is still learning. Be gentle.
Jan 31, 2006, 02:39 AM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
the BEC, or battery-eliminator-circuit is a way of providing power to the servos and receiver from the main battery (lipo pack etc).

The BEC basically operates independently of the ESC, since the startup/boot process of the speed controller is as follows...

1- Power is applied to speed controller + BEC device
2- BEC supplies power to the RX
3- RX activates and sends the throttle signal to the speed controller
4- Speed controller ARMS (if the throttle is at zero position)

Of course, this tends to all happen in a split second or so.

With much higher voltage speed controllers, the BEC tends to be a completely separate unit for technical/electronic reasons, you may see things around called "SuperBEC" or "UBEC" units.

For basic park flying you need not concern yourself with those separate units.

Paul.
Jan 31, 2006, 03:00 AM
Toof-fairy
Essentially as paul has described, the BEC is like a seprate system.

The battery essentially has 2 power drawing devices.

The motor and
The radio system (the receiver and servos)

What an inbuilt (into the esc) BEC does is it disconnects the motor from the battery when the battery level is low, but keeps supplying power to the radio system. This prevents overdischarging of the battery by eliminating the main power drawing device, but keeps the critical parts running so you can still control the plane.

You can fly without the BEC, but i wouldnt reccomend it as it means that you might risk overdischarging the battery which is not good for the batteries' servirce life.

Owen
Feb 02, 2006, 11:31 PM
Toof-fairy
Heres a pic of my 3.5" delta glider.

Its a brilliant proof of concept design that flies brilliantly. even at that size its got great performance. It flies inverted with very little down elev, and will do the classic delta high alpha flight, hold up and it wont stall, just descends at 45 deg (and does that inverted too)

I think ill make a bigger one some time soon

Owen
Feb 02, 2006, 11:35 PM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
What on earth are you using to control it? 3.5" WOW.

A bit smaller than my 38" balsa cat

Paul.
Feb 02, 2006, 11:41 PM
Toof-fairy
LOL its a glider for now, free flight. I used paper (masking) tape hindges because it keeps its position when folded and so i use that to control the plane.

Im planning of using it as a proof of concept so i scale it up to normal RC size using cheap gear. (im not spending $$$$ US on micro gear although its a dream)

If its stable as a micro, its got to be great at size

Owen
Last edited by osmium_192; Feb 03, 2006 at 01:10 AM.
Feb 06, 2006, 04:44 AM
Toof-fairy
More pics of my very cool delta.

It was dark so the long exposure and me holding the camera and plane meant blurry pics. (i dont like flash unless its a flash gun)

Owen
Feb 07, 2006, 12:52 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkflyer81
Excuse me for asking a dumb question. Alot has changed since I was last in this sport. Could some please shed some light on the whole "speed controler with 'bec' " thing. Speed controler idea i get, but bec?? WTH is this thing? Help

____
l\
l \
l \______________ Is still learning. Be gentle.
Seek us out for some local close by help if you need it we have a number of guys that fly electrics but our primary interest is slope http://swenban.rchomepage.com/
SteveW
Feb 11, 2006, 07:34 AM
N00b Sloper Addict
Steve,

I got some inlaws that live down that way, in kent rd actually. Next time I'm down there on the weekend I'll drop by to see if you guys are there. I've spent about 10 hours on the fms program and starting to get the feel again. I took my simple 400 for a buzz down in yarragwonga (100km west of albury) and flew that for half an hour, before a wind gust got the better of it on landing, fliped it and wrote it off. I could only salvage the wing, and radio gear, the rest was fire wood. If I'm down that way tomorrow, I stick my mellon in.

Paul,

Thanks heaps being kind enough to list the easy box plans on the web, I've started construction, and it's looking good. I also fixed my solar film problem,
------->parkflyer81<-------- dumbass - forgot to tack off the backing plastic. I'll post some pics real soon.

Cheers guys
Feb 11, 2006, 07:53 AM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
Parkflyer,

If it gets too expensive for you to keep using solarfilm, start looking at getting some doculam/laminating film, cheaper, tougher... cheaper

Paul.

Quick Reply