Jan 12, 2006, 02:49 PM
Thread OP
Question

Built-up pusher plans or kits?

This thread might be a bit early for me seeing as how I still have not maidened my T-38 foamy but, are there any built-up balsa or other types of high-speed pushers out there? Mostly I am looking for something scale with a built up wing about the size and weight of Steve's parkjets.

Even a foam fuse and tail but with a full airfoil wing would be alright. Basically I am looking for speed but still be low weight. After glassing my T-38 wing and getting a smooth surface on the fuse using the poly-wax technique the weight really shot up.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2006, 04:53 PM
bigglesjets
Hi alpapilot

Why not take a look at Steve's Super Bandit. If it's speed your after, they tell me that with the right motor set up it should hit the 70mph+ mark
I dont see why you need an aerofoil type wing,with the way these foam jets fly.
http://www.parkjets.com/bandit.html

cheers

Al
Jan 13, 2006, 01:26 AM
How fast can balsa go?
Check out my Aggressor at http://www.wingermodels.rchomepage.com/ Look in the index on the left side of the webpage and click on Aggressor.
Jan 13, 2006, 02:08 AM

Fast park jets

Another option. 6MMs new BD5. Depron fuselage and foam core, balsa covered airfoil wing. Here is mine under construction. 6MM has film of it flying.
Jan 13, 2006, 08:42 AM
Thread OP
Yeah, I really dig the BD-5. It seems fast to build and well just fast overall.

Actually, I am toying around with the idea using the short BD-5 wing and using it on a scratchbuilt Bell X-1. The wing seems to have about the same dimensions for both planes. I figure the fuse could be made of pink foam sanded to shape then hollowed out.
Jan 13, 2006, 08:47 AM
IWC
IWC
Cermark new BD5 with fiberglass fuse and landing gear.
Jan 13, 2006, 11:15 PM

alpha pilot

Our BD-5 really moves. The video on our website (www.6mmflyrc.com) is of an average motor set-up and the long wing version. You can get this thing really moving with a short wing version and a hot motor. The airfoiled is exactly to scale complete with washout and everything. I designed this model to be as scale as I could, I had to upsize the tail a little (12% or so) It flys real nice and hot.

In addition, the instruction manual is posted on our site as well, as you can see, its a quick build which leaves you plenty of time to make it as nice as ram3500's is right now. He is doiing a great job.

But as others have said already, the Super Bandit is a nice option if you dont mind the flat plate wing.
Jan 14, 2006, 09:01 AM
Thread OP
I do believe the BD-5 will be my next jet. I have been very impressed with ram3500's project. However, I don't know if I could get the covering done so well though (I haven't covered a plane since 1989ish).
Jan 14, 2006, 06:33 PM
RMS
RMS
Back in the mid to late eighties, I bought numerous plans from Bob Holman Plans service. The jets were very scale and the plans were beautiful. The designs were from the Thorpe Brothers. With the light batteries a.....whoops.....see next message.
Jan 14, 2006, 06:36 PM
RMS
RMS
Back in the mid to late eighties, I bought numerous plans from Bob Holman Plans service. The jets were very scale and the plans were beautiful. The designs were from the Thorpe Brothers and others. The Thorpe Brothers plans were great though. With the light batteries and powerful motors that are available now, I think you could build and get very good performance using a pusher setup rather than a ducted fan. Ofcourse, you would have to do some mods to get rid of the ply etc.

Quick Reply