Jan 12, 2006, 09:45 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

40" Piper Pacer for IPS Power and 3 ch. R/C

The Piper Pacer design started a few months ago, but got sidellined for a couple of other projects. Once those were finished and out of the way, the Pacer came back up and the plans finished -- enough to build it anyway.
The design has a span of 40" and an area of 275 sq. in. The Pacer is by nature a pudgy little bugger, so there should be plenty of room for the 7.5 gram servos and 700 mah 2 cell Lipo. The 6:1 IPS drive will be used with a 9-7 prop and 5A ESC. Target flying weight is around 8 oz. which will put the wing loading just over 4 oz/sq. ft. Looks like another "floater " in the making!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2006, 09:48 AM

Piper Pacer plans

Pat, again the line starts....is this 'your' design or something else for Dumas? If' it's yours, please let us know when plans/lasercuts are avaiable and who wants the $$....

Thanks!
Jan 12, 2006, 09:49 AM
Thread OP

Construction Begins

The first step in construction was to bow up the tail and wingtip bows. The wingtips are 2 laminations of 1/16 X 3/16 balsa. The rudder and elevator outlines were made from 2 laminations of 1/16 X 1/8 balsa.

The tail section was framed on the plans removed and sanded to shape. The hinges were made from 1/8 wide strips of Cya hinge stock.
Jan 12, 2006, 09:53 AM
Thread OP
Peter, Let's put it this way, one way or another, you'll be able to get one to build. I've done several Pacers in different sizes over the years both Free Flight and R/C, and they all flew very well. There's no reason to think this one won't fly at least as good as the worst one!
PAT
Jan 12, 2006, 10:00 AM
Thread OP

Framing the Wing

The Pacer wing is really a pretty simple structure, the only tricky spot being where the tip bows meet the leading edge. The wing has a very low aspect ratio, which makes for a very thick airfoil for a 40" model, so the bows had to be faired into the LE with balsa fill. It's not a real big deal, just takes a bit of "puttsing" to get it all feathered in nicely.
The outer panes are framed over the plans. As with all these "IPS designs", the wing uses a laser cut main spar with 1/16 sq. balsa rib bottoms and laser cut top rib sections.
Jan 12, 2006, 10:07 AM
Thread OP

Fitting the Tip Bows

The tip bows are trimmed and glued in place starting at the trailing edge and working forward sround the main spar and up to the LE. Balsa fill blocks are used to feather the tip bow smoothly into the leading edge.
The center section is build over the plan, then the outer panels are blocked up glued in place. Finally the 1/16 sq. balsa top spars are glued in place. The assembly was then lifted from the board and finish sanded.

Next comes the fuselage. If the fuse goes together as quickly as the wing and tail section did, it won't be long and it'll be ready to cover!
PAT
Jan 12, 2006, 10:07 AM
Gravity sucks!
Way to go Pat,

Another of my favorites...I will need one.
Jan 12, 2006, 10:14 AM
what?!?!!?no ailerons??? pure PT!!! very nice Pat!
Jan 12, 2006, 01:24 PM
Pat!!! Another hit!!! I had a close relationship with a PA-22/20-135 (tri-Pacer to Pacer conversion) in the past! it was a fun airplane. Please kit this one, I have to have it!!!
Jan 12, 2006, 11:20 PM
Thread OP

Framing the Fuselage

Thanks Guys! I've always been a GIG Pacer fan, glad I'm not alone!

The fuselage is framed and the sides joined in a very conventional fashion. As with the wing, the frame-up went very quickly. Since the fuselage is basically square, there are very few formers and stringers involved to slow the process.
Jan 12, 2006, 11:23 PM
Thread OP

Setting up the Motor Mount and Cowl

The IPS Drive will stick mount, with the down and right thrust dictated by the gussets on the firewall. The cowl is basically a series of stringers arounf 2 formers. The nose bowl will be carved from blue foam.
Jan 12, 2006, 11:25 PM
By Grace Alone
Subscribed.

This may have to be my next build. A classic Gen Av airplane that is fabric covered and only has ONE wing. How can you beat that?

Lee
Jan 12, 2006, 11:27 PM
Thread OP

Landing Gear and Servo Mounts

The landing gear was bent from .062 and .047 dia. steel wire and soldered together on the fuselage. Then the balsa fairings were fitted and glued in place.
The servos are mounted on balsa rails supported by balsa beams on the fuselage sides. Once again, very conventional stuff. The rudder will be set up with pull/pull and a wire pushrod used for the elevator.
Jan 12, 2006, 11:30 PM
Thread OP

The First "Dry Run"

And here's all the big peices all put together for the first time. Will build up the struts, carve the nose bowl and set up the control linkages next, then it'll be time to cover.
PAT
Jan 12, 2006, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
The 6:1 IPS drive will be used with a 9-7 prop and 5A ESC. Target flying weight is around 8 oz. which will put the wing loading just over 4 oz/sq. ft. Looks like another "floater " in the making!
Pat, how do you determine the gearing on this, is it by Motocalc, experience, or darts at the wall.<G> Being new to this makes me wonder what you folks use to come up with the ratios. I am building Zekes Monocoupe and noticed he changed the gearing so now I have both of the IPS sets that he used and will probably try them both and see which one I like the best.

Thanks,
Dave

Quick Reply