South / South East - 20/30 Knots

Sounds like some good wind

Anyone coming down?

Brett
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2006, 01:04 AM
by ZIPPER
May be after work.
You should be down there now Brett 20 knots from the south.
I gess I better put the elevator back on the Jart!
Glenn
Jan 11, 2006, 01:29 AM
RC recluse
Thread OP
Got busy doing a rush job website for a guy.
Hopefully can finalise it all tomorrow, and maybe fly tomorrow and friday!

Brett
Jan 11, 2006, 01:39 AM
by ZIPPER
Blackheath was looking good most of the day as well 7 to 13 knots from the west.

Glenn
Jan 11, 2006, 01:43 AM
Scorpian 60'' 2012
I be thinking of you guys on Friday while I’m at WORK
Jan 11, 2006, 03:48 AM
kkw
kkw
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPPER
May be after work.
You should be down there now Brett 20 knots from the south.
I gess I better put the elevator back on the Jart!
Glenn
Glenn
I was down there at 5pm - 6.30pm. Wind gust to 35knots on the Kestrel meter. The poor old Vector really battled to penetrate, unballasted. I left the lead at home It's always the last flight you have, that brings you undone. Banked right, and the wind got under the wing, tumbling it like a leaf in a gale. Regained some control way back over the road, and with a lot of down stick, managed to get almost back to the slope. Guess who had to climb almost to the top of the big pine tree. I'm getting too old for this. Almost felt like leaving it there until I could con some young guy into climbing for me. May try to get there on Friday.
Jan 11, 2006, 03:56 AM
kkw
kkw
7.50pm and wind is 25 knots at Sydney Airsport.
Jan 13, 2006, 06:18 AM
RC recluse
Thread OP
Well, a strange old day it was today.

I arrived at Otford at about 1:30pm only to discover the fog was so thick that i coudnt see the apple pie shop from the carpark.
Waited an hour, decided to go back to Miranda and pick up some stuff from the LHS.

Zipper called at 3:30 to check conditions, i was heading back to Otford.
At 4:30pm, there was no change in the fog conditions at all.
I was parked at the Northern slope, another sloper, Tim, was there also.
I suggested to glenn to not come down, as it was a waste of time.
I waited about 15 minutes longer, and decided to head home.
On the way back i stopped at the apple pie shop carpark, and for a brief moment caught a glimpse of the ocean....

Was it clearing?

Nope...

I almost called Glenn to say it was clearning, but as i pressed 'Send' on the phone, the fog rolled back in, and i couldnt see anything, so i stopped the call.
I waited another 10 minutes, and the fog had eased slightly, enough that if i flew real close to the top of the slope i guess it would be OK.
I flew for maybe 15 minutes like this. Out into the fog, sharp turn back to the slope etc.

I then resolved to go home. When i loaded the plane back into the car, i noticed that the northen slope was now fully visible, and i could actually see the sky as well.

Time was almost 6pm.

I flew at the Northen slope until it was dark.
Lift was good.
I shared the sky with a Sea Eagle, some guys who turned up with an old FatBoy wing, which was rapidly lost in the trees behind the road, a guy with an electrafun parkflyer which he sloped, and finally the young guy with the 2m Fox (forgot his name).

In hind sight, Zipper should have headed down, because by the time he would have arrived, it would only have been 15-20 more minutes until it was clear.

Sorry Glenn, a bad call on my part.

Saturday looks pretty good for Otford again though. So maybe see everyone down there.

Cheers.
Brett

Also, a guy who lives at Mt Annan was driving past and is keen to visit the Hill sometime. Cant remember his name either, but im sure he will turn up eventually.
Jan 13, 2006, 05:05 PM
kkw
kkw
Saturday no good. NW winds, but the forecast is for a S change in the afternoon. Tom has the Fox.
Jan 13, 2006, 07:12 PM
RC recluse
Thread OP
A young guy (maybe 17 years old) has one as well, he lives at Helensberg.
Flies nice.
Jan 14, 2006, 05:13 AM
Model Bender
Hopefully Sunday might be good for a fly.. if i can get away from the building board I'll be there!

By the way, a NSWPW ranger was there last week checking MAAA insurance details of everyone flying. Membership in an insured club may now be a good idea.

Klaus: How's the BD5 coming along?
Jan 14, 2006, 05:49 AM
kkw
kkw
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzDragonFlyer
Klaus: How's the BD5 coming along?
Just need to solder in the charge plug for the mini BD5 and balance it. The 48" one needs the wings cut etc. Want a job?
I no sooner finished the slope article for Airborne, when they sent me a slope soarer to review. It was finished today and is ready for the test flights etc. Got a 2m TD comp tomorrow, but should get some flights through the week if the winds co-operates. Then I need a pilot while I take pics, or find someone to take them while I fly.
Jan 14, 2006, 06:22 AM
Model Bender
no probs I'll do the wings your other one, pm me the details. Can't wait to see the BD5 up & going!

What slopie are you reviewing? Do you get to keep it?
Jan 16, 2006, 02:30 AM
RC recluse
Thread OP
Klaus,

Give me a yell if you are going during the week, i can photo for you, or fly... whatever.

Ive got until the end of January off work, so can go anytime.

CHeers.
Brett
Jan 16, 2006, 02:58 AM
kkw
kkw
Thanks Brett, will do. Looks like rain all week.

Dave: Arrow & yes.

Quick Reply