Jan 09, 2006, 11:55 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
Whoops!

Be Carefull!!

OK, I do not want to make this a the bash Lipo thread but I had a little problem today.

I had a fire and lost my entire garage, and almost everthing RC and Hobby related.

It was my fault for being in a hurry. I think I set a 4s on 5s AND left it unattended in a bad spot.

Family is fine which is the main thing and we are sitting in Hotel right now.

The AMA/IMS show is out too this year for obvious reasons.

I have a couple mini helis left is all now and maybe my EVO since I just found the half burned Penquin case just after dark.

Please be careful is all I can say.

FB
Last edited by Fred Bronk; Jan 10, 2006 at 12:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2006, 12:01 AM
That tree again!!!!
oopse...

I'm sorry to hear that Fred.
Hope you & your family get back to normal soon.

best regards,

thanh
Jan 10, 2006, 12:04 AM
Renewed interest
Thats a damn shame
The up side is that you and the family are safe.
All the best thru this terrible time.

adam
Jan 10, 2006, 12:08 AM
Suspended Account
wow! to much, just went through this scenario a couple of hours ago, a what if thing! if one of the regulars lost all thier stuff, what would i do,Did you have insurance on your stuff? Fred please post a list of what you lost, you never know what people have lying around, i,m glad your family is ok, man! i cant believe this happened today and to Fred to anyone .

If you can find the lipo that caused it you can bash it for me .
Jan 10, 2006, 12:14 AM
Oh no Fred, I am sorry to hear about this, I wish you well.
Take care David
Jan 10, 2006, 12:27 AM
Heli-N-Somniac
So sorry about the fire. I hope things get back to normal soon.

Mike
Jan 10, 2006, 12:28 AM
This is just to inform. My hand is not out at all!

I am insured very good but it will take time to even get started! And I need a garage first.

Thanks for the thoughts though.

FB
Jan 10, 2006, 12:42 AM
Suspended Account
And I need a garage first

yeah good point .
Jan 10, 2006, 12:50 AM
I am glad you are okay, Fred.

I have thought about this lipo problem for a while.

We need to get the battery manufacturers and battery charger manufacturers to cooperate so we can get safer battery charging.

One idea is to put a serial EEPROM on the battery pack so the battery charger can automatically read how many cells and the charge rate from the connected pack, and set the parameters automatically.

We really need something like this to prevent fires.

Toshi
Jan 10, 2006, 12:57 AM
Just one picture. The pile is what is left of my my stuff that I had just moved to the garage so my son had his own room.

Funny part is there where plans to expand the garage. I guess it will come a little sooner

FB
Jan 10, 2006, 01:01 AM
Dizzying Heights
Oh wow. Truely sorry to see that happen to you. Maybe one of those chances for the rest of us to learn from others experiences?
Jan 10, 2006, 01:08 AM
Destroyer of G-10
Man, Sorry to hear about this. It seems like most of the issues comes from charging and crash damage. Thanks God that your family is safe. everything that is purchased can be replaced easily enough...
Jan 10, 2006, 01:10 AM
Wow Fred.

Thanks for letting us know. I know I'm not nearly as careful as I should be. This is a very serious and very good reminder.

Sorry this happened to such a nice guy. So glad no one was hurt. Take care of your family for now, and don't stress about it.

Don
Jan 10, 2006, 01:27 AM
Glad to here your ok.

A friend of mine had his lipo flame up a month ago lucky his basement has a cement floor, as the coffee can he charges in fell over in the explosion. the small area rug stunk the place up for a while very minor compared to yours.

Thank you for the reminder of what might happen.
Jan 10, 2006, 01:33 AM

Fred,

Man, I'm stunned and feel sick to my stomach about this. You are
the last person that deserves this given what you do for the rest of us in this hobby. Thankfully everyone is alright and you are fully insured. This is my biggest fear with Lipo and given what happened to you I'm no longer charging in my garage. If this were my garage my entire house would have gone up due to explosions caused by the propane tanks and gas cans I store in it.

I Live in the Bay Area so PM me if there is anything I can help you out with.

Steve