Jan 08, 2006, 10:20 AM
Discussion

Looking for a faster slope wing. considering M60

Lucky me, my wife said she'd like to buy me an airplane for my birthday next month. AFter flying my Zagi 5C at the slope I've come to the realization that I want something FAST for the high wind days. The Zagi is fine for combat, but there are days when I'd just like to punch through the wind and fly faster and farther out from the face of the hill. Anyway I've done the searching and really like North County Flying Machines M60
The build is very involved compared to my Zagi buy I'm confident, especially with all the threads on builds, that I could handle the build. This would be my second slope plane, however I do have about 15 years of powered (glow) flight under my belt.
The other wing I was looking at was the Windrider Bat
While obviously not in the same league as the M60 as far as speed, it is supposedly a faster wing and it's 40 dollars less expensive.
I personally would like a different looking design other than the traditional swept back combat wing-types, which is why I'm looking at these two. Also the price must be under 100 dollars. Any advice or other recommendations of faster wings would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
to remove ads between posts
Jan 08, 2006, 10:31 AM
Support www.usf3jteam.com
My dad has a moth, it is similar but 12 inches smaller. In comparison to his zagi 400x, there is no comparison. The moth needs more wind but when you have the right lift this thing can really go. My vote is for the moth/m60.
Jan 08, 2006, 11:57 AM
I emailed Derek from NCFM and he said the M60 is a HUGE step up from a Zagi but said it's not really a hard plane to fly if set up right. He then went on to recommend the Halfpipe. Anyone have info on this. I searched and reviewed the build threads, but would like as much flying reviews as possible.

Mike
Jan 08, 2006, 08:23 PM
Kahn
I got a halfpipe for Christmas. It's an order of magnitude better than any other swept wing out there for speed, crisp turns and energy retention. As with all NCFM planes, you have to get the CoG sopt on - even 1/16" makes a difference. Once dialled in though, it's a fantastic plane.

This wing is not recommended for combat, though I can attest to it's toughness: Last weekend I was flying it among a couple of carbon/glass ships. Once of them collided head-on with my half-pipe: The wing of the Elipse was sheared clean off, but the halfpipe merely recovered and flew away. The impact was on the area where the strapping tape is (inner third of span) and the only damage was some scuffing of the paint/tape, otherwise unharmed.

The halfpipe can fly in ligh (8kts) to heavy (35kts) wind without ballast. I routinely fly mine on a relatively shallow slope only about 150' tall (side of an inland grassy hill) and it absolutely rocks. Again, with the CoG sopt on (and recommeded throws) it does not slow down through the turns holds its speed and energy better than any wing I have seen.

Get the half pipe. Build it specs. Keep it clean. Get the CoG/throws right, and you will not be dissapointed.

Cheers

Kahn
Jan 10, 2006, 11:10 AM
The more I think about it the less certain I am of which plane to get. I really like the look of the M60 and the speed potential but the main slope I fly at you can't DS there, so I'd be on the front side the whole time. Also, while the landing area is ample, how fast do M60's land? There's probably 75 yards of grass on top of the hill to land and before the grass there's a corn field that's cut (this time of year) so you can approach low then settle it down in the grass.
I'm now torn over which plane to get for the windy days at the slope yet not break the bank on a foamie. I just want a plane that will haul a-- on a windy day when I don't feel like flying my combat wing.

Mike
Jan 12, 2006, 06:58 PM
Hey Bikeman
Look at the Arrow. I just built one and it is awsome in light and heavy winds. Plus you'll be the only one out there. I got mine from California Sailplanes. But to see it look at http://www.canterburysailplanes.co.nz/.

On a good slope I flew this in about 8 to 10 mph and I have flown it in 30 mph. I have only been out 3 times with it but it is awsome. Worth a look.

It is an easy build.

Fred
Jan 12, 2006, 07:10 PM
Toy Flyer
Get the ZIPPER from http://www.harborside.com/~birdworks/bwhome.htm. I've flown M48's and M60's against it, and the ZIPPER was faster.
Jan 12, 2006, 07:25 PM
It's the last plane honey
Do a search on the slope forum. Tons of info on slope wings, M60, Moth, etc.

Andy

Quick Reply