Jan 06, 2006, 08:31 PM
WAR EAGLE
Thread OP
Discussion

Figure this out CC HV 85

I have the following set up:

10 cell..Axi 5330/18...20x11 prop and CC HV 85 controller. The controller has been back to Castle and they say it is OK. Put a brand new motor on it with no help.

The problem is that just before the red light comes on for full throttle I get the amps and watts I expect. Just as the red light comes on,on the speed controller, the engine gets a rattling noise and power decays slightly and amps and watts start jumping around. So I have reduced the end point on the throttle to just under the red light coming on and will live with it like this. But something is screwy if I can't go to red light power.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 07, 2006, 02:33 AM
Whats the voltage reading when it starts to jump?

You could be hitting soft cut off maybe?

Larry
Jan 07, 2006, 07:57 AM
A man with too many toys
Sounds like you are exceeding the current limit at full throttle try a smaller propeller as a test to see if that is the problem.

RC
Jan 08, 2006, 09:21 PM
WAR EAGLE
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry3215
Whats the voltage reading when it starts to jump?

You could be hitting soft cut off maybe?

Larry
No, volts are reading 35 and cut off is 30 I can pull a good 63 amps before it starts to slightly decline. May be the effeciency of the motor just want take any more.
Jan 08, 2006, 09:24 PM
WAR EAGLE
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
Sounds like you are exceeding the current limit at full throttle try a smaller propeller as a test to see if that is the problem.

RC
This is the direction I am thinking. The effeciency of the motor is around 60 amps and max at 75. I can get 63 amps at 37 volts just prior to full throttle.This gives me 2200 watts which is all I could expect. Just think the engine want take the extra amps and makes that rattling noise from the engine at wot.
Last edited by callen; Jan 28, 2006 at 10:38 PM.
Jan 09, 2006, 02:48 AM
Blew out my flip flop
I have run the 4130/16 at about the same amps without this issue, so I doubt its the motor thats causing it. Whats your timing set to? Jeti recommends hard timing on the Axi motors, so I would start with high timing on the Castle if you havent tried that already, and see if the problem goes away. Then maybe try each pwm setting and timing setting, trying each one one change at a time till you find one that works. Another thought, is the prop balanced?

Later,
David
Jan 15, 2006, 04:44 PM
WAR EAGLE
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hogue
I have run the 4130/16 at about the same amps without this issue, so I doubt its the motor thats causing it. Whats your timing set to? Jeti recommends hard timing on the Axi motors, so I would start with high timing on the Castle if you havent tried that already, and see if the problem goes away. Then maybe try each pwm setting and timing setting, trying each one one change at a time till you find one that works. Another thought, is the prop balanced?

Later,
David
Hard timing makes it worse. Pwm has no bearing. New motor no help. I am having a hard time with this esc. They are sending me a new one but when?
Jan 28, 2006, 10:30 PM
WAR EAGLE
Thread OP
The problem was solved by Dan Landis. It had too big a prop on it which would make the motor make a rattling sound and the power would degrade rather than just have high amps. I went through a lot of grief for such an easy fix. Changed motor and speed control with no help. Prop was a 20 x11 now a 18 x 10 which pulls 65 amps at wot and 2200 watts on the Medusa meter and NO NOISE. Tanic 10s2p 6500 mah 15-20 C batteries. Even had the Axi rep and Castle stumped.

RC MAN had suggested a samller prop but I thought it was elsewhere. Dan had experienced this problem personally.
Feb 01, 2006, 11:56 PM
know it all
so the motor was getting into a mechanical oscillation with the big prop?.. how is the motor mounted and what prop brand did you use?

Herm
Feb 03, 2006, 09:17 PM
WAR EAGLE
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermperez
so the motor was getting into a mechanical oscillation with the big prop?.. how is the motor mounted and what prop brand did you use?

Herm
No I just think it was an electrical noise because it couldn't handle the amps. Prop is an APC electric. Motor is mounted solid as a rock. First time I have ever heard this noise so it fooled me into looking at other things.
Feb 04, 2006, 12:12 AM
KC5UH transmits -------->
I had the same thing occur with a DIY bl motor when I tested my winding job using the stock plastic ( read weak ) magnet. It would turn a 6x5 prop WOT, but would 'clatter' and stagger along with a 7x4 prop! I thought I had a winding problem, but decided to put in my strong N50 magnets before I did anything else. Surprise, the motor would then turn a 10x6 with no problem. I don't know what the electromechanics are to make the noise.

David
Apr 29, 2006, 09:46 PM
I find this odd.
I just bought a brand new HV110, Axi 5330/18 and a variety of props.
I have just bench tested my motor on a 20X11 APC-E prop and it will go to full throttle no problem. I also tried a 20X10 and 22X10 with good results.

Any thoughts?

I'm running high advance and 11KHz Switching. I have some hesitation at startup but after that, it runs smooth as silk.
Apr 30, 2006, 05:20 PM
Castle's Chaos Corner
The problem is the ESC is loosing sync with the motor. Go to 'Low Timing' and it should resolve without a noticeable difference it power. As a benefit, things will run cooler. Also, check your connections between the motor and ESC.

Bernie
May 05, 2006, 08:33 PM
Well so much for my setup working.

Looks like I toasted my HV110 by using it as it was intended?

Here's the thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513340
May 06, 2006, 05:45 AM
A man with too many toys
Have you tried the new software it has a better startup routine.

Quick Reply