Jan 06, 2006, 04:01 PM
American MoonMan
Thread OP
Discussion

The New Shop! A work in progress.....(and a little about the Bomar Explorer too)

Group,

After planning it for many months, I finally had my new shop built in the back yard. It is a 12'X12' building set on a concrete slab. The company took about 6 hours to build it from scratch, and then the real construction began. I put in all of my own electrical (being an electrician helped a bit with that). Then insulated the walls, and drywalled it all. Once that was done, I painted the areas behind the proposed work benches, and then built them. Still have sanding and painting to do on ceiling, front and south side walls, but once work benches were in, I just had to begin using them. Was able to begin the "Bomar Explorer" AP aircraft (seen in two of the attached photos). Lots of work yet to do on it, but coming along nicely. Once the shop is fully sanded and painted out, I will also be using it as a photo studio for still and video shots for our flyers and brochures. The south wall will be painted ChromaKey Blue, and I will be able to do some pretty interesting stuff using that wall. In the photos you can also see my LiPo charging station (the brick enclosure). Long story, but it is the only way I will charge my LiPo's at home now. I have the capacity to charge 5 packs at the same time if I need to. So, now I have a great place to work on my projects (lots of room to work, good tunes to listen too, A/C on those hot days, heat for those cool ones), and best of all, I am out of my wifes hair (and sight too). Next project is to complete internal fencing in back yard to barrier off the dogs area (have two beagals, Indiana Jones (Indy), and Bandit). I want to re-sod the major part so the grandkids have a nice place to play, and yet keep enough room for the dogs to run in. I have already found out that dogs and sod do not mix well (it appears that it is their lifes work to dig up all the sod they can, and they are very good at it too). Here are a few pictures of the shop, inside and out. Comments welcomed of course.

Joe

North wall, main workbench area.

West wall workbench and charging areas.

Outside view of the shop.
Last edited by Dark Overlord; Jan 09, 2006 at 11:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2006, 04:12 PM
WHOHH..You See That??
I really like that big AP poster on the North wall!!

You could use some more of them.

Very Nice my friend. I am envious!

Qualcity
Jan 06, 2006, 04:20 PM
NSDQ!
I have two beagles also...one is 7 years old,and one is about 9 weeks tomorrow....they are a handfull. But such great dogs.

Anyway, thats an awsome set up you have there. I take it the brick thing is incase of fire?
Jan 06, 2006, 04:40 PM
Smile & wave
Hi Joe,
A very nice setup you have there, I really must make one of those brick charge enclosures. You have prompted me to do so, thanks for that.

Gray
Jan 06, 2006, 05:02 PM
I AP'd myself again......
Any alarm system needed? or is it pretty relaxed where you live. A friend of mine had a similiar setup and he raced 1/4 scales in reno. His got broke into and he lost practically everything. I'm sure your going to have some serious $$$ sitting in there....just thought I'd ask...

(is this all a tax write off for your business also?)

-Dave
Jan 06, 2006, 06:01 PM
American MoonMan
Thread OP
Thanks all.............

qualcity: Actually, I have three of the photos you did up for me posted in the shop. The one above the workbench, and two on the door. I have received great comments about them from those who have seen them. You did an excellent job for me, and I had these three laminated, and they turned out quite well. But, laminating is NOT cheap...................

chase4556: Indy is about a year and three months now, and Bandit is about 4 months. Indy is the 15" breed, and Bandit is the 13" breed. We still keep them apart most of the time as Bandit can go through some of the fence slates in the yard, and Indy still thinks he is prey, and kicks his butt a bit...................

Gray: I had a few early incidents after changing over to LiPo's, so devised this method of protecting my garage (and now my shop) from myself (yeah, the LiPo problems where mostly my own fault). The brick "kiln" has worked well, although I have not had any further problems to date, but better safe than sorry.......

aviatordave:
The shop is fully in my own backyard, and I have a new 6' fence all around my property, so not too worried about breakins, BUT, I do have the ability to lock the door (in two places, top and bottom). I do have video cameras around the property, and plan on putting one in the backyard to record from there too. So, not too worried, but you never know, may put in an audible alarm just for further piece of mind. Might be able to deduct some of the expenses toward the business, but have to talk to my tax people about it. So much has happened in just the last months of 2005 that will relate to taxes and business that I have yet to fully sort it all out. Looks like it will be a pretty interesting year ahead with the various directions I am being sent into by my new business relationship, and the new aircraft I am developing. Going to have loads of features and abilities that up to now I have not had available, especially in one aircraft. I am looking forward to the new challenges, and hope that I can share some of the upcoming work with some of my fellow APers as we get ready to expand out of the SoCal area later this year. Here's hoping anyway............

Joe
Jan 06, 2006, 06:10 PM
Long Range FPV !!!
Nice setup, and I agree with Aviator Dave, an audiable alarm system is cheap and would be a great idea. Cameras wont do schit to prevent a breakin, all you will have left is a poor quality video of some guys that you do not know carrying all your stuff away... Personally I would rather scare them away with an alarm than see the video the next day...

An ultrasonic or infared sensor would cover that whole shop, and cost less than 100 bucks. Thats pretty cheap considering all you have put into that.
Jan 06, 2006, 06:48 PM
Your attitude is your alt
Nice, clean, bright, I really like it, a great workshop, I wonder how long it will say looking like that? If my workshop looked like that, in a month you couldn't find a square inch of counter space to work on! lol

Gary
Jan 06, 2006, 07:49 PM
Destroyer of G-10
I have to make time to clean it up from time to time in my own shop or it gets messy. i have nice finished 20x20 garage and really like it. I need to insulate the ceiling though. gas heater is nice to keep the chill down. no need for air in my part of the country. nothing like having space, and wife doe not complain about messing up the inside...
Jan 06, 2006, 07:53 PM
Very Nice Joe!

I also have a shed on a slab in my backyard, but it's about 60yds behind my house so trekking thru the snow with RC gear makes it useless in the winter. I don't have any Heat or AC out there as well.

What are you heating and cooling yours with?

Matt
Jan 06, 2006, 08:18 PM
HeliAP'er!
What a stupendous shed! I'm making do in one room in my house .... which I've completely taken over and is now almost considered mine ...

David
Jan 06, 2006, 10:02 PM
American MoonMan
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFEVER
Very Nice Joe!

What are you heating and cooling yours with?

Matt
I installed a window type A/C unit into the rear wall of the building to cool it down. I think it is around 5000btu or so. As for heat, I am using a small (1300/1500 watt) plug in heater that works well too for the size shop. As you can see in the original outside photo, it also has two windows (double insulated) to assist in ventilation and a small window fan works to assist that purpose. Helps keep the CA fumes from crystallizing my eyebrows when the building get furious.

Joe
Jan 06, 2006, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Overlord
Helps keep the CA fumes from crystallizing my eyebrows when the building get furious.
lol

nice shed mate
Jan 07, 2006, 02:59 AM
Aerial Shutterbug
Nice sturdy work surfaces and storage rack too. Agree about the lighting, can't have enough of that as well.

One thing you might want to consider Joe (if you don't know this already) is to use medium sand in large ziplock baggies to place over your LiPolys during charging. Should a cell erupt, the baggie ruptures from the intense heat thus releasing sand. This minimizes OČ from getting to the cells and keeps a potentially big fire in check.

I take it you have a WiFi network so you can keep an eye on E-Zone while you're out working in the shop? Heck, would be cool to see you do some work 'live'

-Roger
Jan 07, 2006, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMihara
Nice sturdy work surfaces and storage rack too. Agree about the lighting, can't have enough of that as well.

One thing you might want to consider Joe (if you don't know this already) is to use medium sand in large ziplock baggies to place over your LiPolys during charging. Should a cell erupt, the baggie ruptures from the intense heat thus releasing sand. This minimizes OČ from getting to the cells and keeps a potentially big fire in check.

I take it you have a WiFi network so you can keep an eye on E-Zone while you're out working in the shop? Heck, would be cool to see you do some work 'live'

-Roger
Nice idea about the sand Roger, I had not heard that one before.

Yeah Joe, you better get a web cam up and running ASAP so we can keep an eye on you and make sure you're working hard and not messing around out there. Those of us that have that lovely thing called winter right now can sit around and go

"Hmmmm, I wonder what Joe is up to now? Is he working hard or goofing off again.... Let me go see so I can crack the whip... "

Come to think of it, there is your security too! I'm sure someone will be checking in on it 24 hours a day somewhere in the world. Just give us the number of your local police and we can have them there in a second if we see any suspicous characters in the shop.

--Scott

Quick Reply