Sep 07, 2001, 07:30 PM
Thread OP

Like The Litestick but the servo mount stinks! - How do you mount your servos?

I love my Litestick but I have a complaint on the Plastic Servo mounting system. Who the heck designed this? The servos are continuously coming loose from this thing. Do you have a Better way of mounting servos on the Litestick cause this way is whacked!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 07, 2001, 07:35 PM
Visitor from Reality
The system on the DuskStik is great!

The rest of the DS is similarly ahead of the PacRim Plastic too

Dereck
Sep 07, 2001, 08:18 PM
The coffee stir stick method is the best I've found. It has really worked well for me, and I like it a lot.

http://www.nyblimp.com/litestick/build.htm
Sep 07, 2001, 08:46 PM
I just wrapped masking tape around the servo bodys then epoxied them to the fuselage stick. Works great.

Jerry in South Dakota
Sep 07, 2001, 10:41 PM
Thats what I do. Wrap with masking tape and the CA them to the stick. Works great and saves weight. George
Sep 07, 2001, 10:50 PM
I use two sided tape, center the servos on each side of the fuse, then a small piece of scrap balsa between the servos, then wrap the servos with a short piece of electrital tape. They don't slide around, and before you tape, you can adjust the position.
Sep 08, 2001, 12:27 AM
I agree the coffee stir stick method is really nice. Simple, effective, easy to adjust I used sticky foam circles (2) and a rubber band to hold in place.
Sep 08, 2001, 09:55 AM
I just use rubber bands with the coffee stir sticks. I've never liked using sticky things like tape or foam because it just means more cleaning up each time you remove the servos. A skinny little rubber band will fit nicely in the slot between the stir sticks to hold the servos in place, and a second rubber band can be wrapped around the bottoms of the two servos to hold them tight against the fuse. You can remove and re-install the servos as often as you like with no sticky mess.
Sep 08, 2001, 08:27 PM
Check the construction photos at the nyblimp site very carefully. There are actually four sections of coffee stir stick (which are smaller and lighter than popsickle sticks). The sticks are stacked in pairs with spacers between the stacked pairs. The spacers are about the same thickness as the tabs on the servos. The servo tabs slide between the two pairs of stacked sticks, one servo on each side of the fuse. The rubber bands keep the servos tight against the fuse, and prevent them from sliding out of the slots. Very smart solution to servo mounting.
Sep 09, 2001, 12:26 AM
Thread OP
These coffee stir sticks? This what I call a popsicle stick? Is that right?

In don't get what holds the servos to the stir stick, I heard somebody say a rubber band, where do you PUT the rubber band? I was going to use small screws to screw the servo to the stir sticks. Will that work?
Sep 09, 2001, 01:50 AM
If it ain't broke don't fix it!!! I built Lite Stick by the book have had no problem with servos or any of the many other so called problems everyone else seems to have. It amazes me how people want to save a gram or two only to add a larger battery that weighs an ounce or more than the stock battery. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS and this airplane is the cheapest simplest best designed best flying airplane you can buy. Some people want to change things just for the sake of change.
Visualize Whirled Peas
Dan
Sep 09, 2001, 02:00 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
Have built it 2 ways.

1)Ply plate with servos,RX and batteries.

2)Added a stick to the fuse to make it taller and servo tape for the servo's. Very easy and lite.
Sep 09, 2001, 06:24 AM
You are absolutely right Dan! Mine flys great too....built the way it was designed.

George
Sep 09, 2001, 06:38 AM
Get One Up!!!
The problem I found with the original design (aprat from the fact that all that plastic is HEAVY) is that in the event of a heavy landing the servo mounts would move and the servo grommets would pop out. Now this might be seen as a good feature in saving the servo but I thought I'd save a bit of weight and get a bit more of a positive servo mounting by using two short lengths of lolly ice sticks (popsicle sticks over there). These are merely Zap-O'd to the stick and the servos are screw mounted one either side of the stick with their output horns staggered. If we were on the new forum I could post a picture . Works great.

You might be surprised just how much weight the combined battery tray and servo mount in plastic makes up. I replaced the battery tray with a piece of depron and a short length of velcro. The point of saving a few grams and then adding more than that by using a larger battery pack is moot - every gram you can save on this or any other slow fly model is useful and with the larger battery pack the model would be heavier by the amount of the increased weight of the pack PLUS the increased weight of the mounts. That's useless and unneccessary weight IMHO.
Sep 09, 2001, 09:09 AM
I agree, Dan. If you aren't having any problems with the stock setup, and if you are not by nature a tinkerer, there are probably better things to do with your time than look for solutions to problems that you aren't having.

However, if you find yourself among the large number of people who have had problems with the plastic pieces on the Lite Stik, you can thank the tinkerers for coming up with some elegant solutions that will save you the time of trying to invent a better mousetrap.

Quick Reply