Jan 03, 2006, 06:53 PM
Discussion

Anyone done a Square Rigger

I would be interested in information on what is involved in building and sailing a square rigged r/c model, especially something as simple as a brigantine. I should think a Robbe Valdivia schooner could be easly converted to one. Any other suggestions of currently available square rigged models, or 2 or 3 masted schooners from the later 19th century that could be modified?

Thankd Ray
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2006, 09:40 AM
Ray, If you find a way to convert a Valdivia to a square-rig, I'd sure like to see it!
Taylor

P.S. Here's something square-rigged, but not very small.
http://www.modelsailingships.com/index.html
Last edited by tsparks; Jan 04, 2006 at 10:21 AM.
Jan 04, 2006, 10:04 AM
"Hello, engine..."
Check Dick Roger's "Pride of Baltimore II", a topsail Baltimore clipper, most of the way down the page at:
http://www.pittelli.com/schooner/photos/ships/

Note that scale sailboats have issues unless un-scale keel extensions are added. This PoB2 model has a removeable bulb keel.

Pat Matthews
Jan 08, 2006, 08:08 PM
Thanks everyone. I really like the three model square riggers from tsparks web reference. They are huge, and relatively expensive, but I can't imagine anything more fun or impressive sailing on my local pond. I think I will start one this spring, and look around for a larger car, too.

Ray
Jan 09, 2006, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray C
I think I will start one this spring, and look around for a larger car, too.

Ray
If you do one in a kit form, then post lots of pictures!
Jan 09, 2006, 08:33 AM
can you land on that ?
Have a look at www.pmbdt.co.uk Should be able to glean something here even if they are powered.
Feb 08, 2006, 11:10 AM

Square Rigger

The biggest issue will be to get the boat balanced and ballasted properly without pulling it down too far in the water and not leaving it top heavy. You MUST have a keel of some kind. Keels have been attached to these such as those used on RC sailboats with a bulb at the end. ANYTHING you decide to use I recommend you test it first. Tie/tape or attach in some non-permanent way the propose keel to the bottom of the hull. Check the way the boat lays in the water. It should be at or slightly above the water line. When your temporary keel hanging from the bottom of the hull, push the boat over to about 60/65 degrees and release. It should right itself within a few rolls. If it doesn't, your keel is too "tender" for the boat. You can get by with less weight in the keel if your keel is pulling the boat too far down in the water IF you put the bulb deeper in the water. Of course, the depth of your local pound is a consideration also. You will have to slide your make shift keel fore and aft also to get the correct balance, AND, you may need to add actual ballast in the hull itself. If you take the real HMS Victory with a LOA of about 225 feet and a weight of 3500 tons, a scale model of that has some physics issues that have to do with ballast, bouyancy, lateral stability, water/hull displacement, wind power/speed relative to a model etc., etc., To compensate for this, you must have a some type of keel.
Theres a set of photos on the internet of a guy building a square rigger. He places it in the bathtub to test it and it floats well. He installs the radio control equipment and takes it to the lake. The next thing you see is a friend swimming out to save the boat after the first gust of wind hits it. He later installs a keel.
Hope that helps.

Quote:
I would be interested in information on what is involved in building and sailing a square rigged r/c model, especially something as simple as a brigantine. I should think a Robbe Valdivia schooner could be easly converted to one. Any other suggestions of currently available square rigged models, or 2 or 3 masted schooners from the later 19th century that could be modified?

Thankd Ray
Feb 10, 2006, 05:45 PM
Foamy Season is here! MX2#1
here a site thats got alot of info on tall ship building, iv was in contact withthe builder for a while he's more then happy to help you with what you need to know, now i gotta find that link..... http://bellsouthpwp.net/c/h/chrisgski/page1.htm

have fun!!! i wanted to do a ship when i found this and since lose the time to get one started good luck

mike
Feb 11, 2006, 10:37 AM
Thanks Mike, that is a very interesting site.

Took the plunge and ordered the Brig-of-War model from Steel, Chapman & Hutchison. Very helpfull people, nice to deal with. Am looking forward to getting the kit in 3-4 weeks. Will make quite a project for this year! Will plan to start a build diary or a web site.
Ray
Feb 11, 2006, 05:09 PM
no prob, Chris the guy that built that beast had it on a segment on DIY rc models show, it looks great in video, there been updates since the ship was built as far as i remember , post some pics of the new one your geting!!
mike
Feb 12, 2006, 12:33 PM

The new project

The brig-of-war kit model I am getting from Steel, Chapman & Hutchinson is designed from the start for r/c sailing. It is 7' long and 6' high ready to sail, but the masts fold down and the jib boom removes for transport. It will fit in the back seat of a VW Golf sedan, and takes about 10 minutes to set up for sailing. She weights 30# without her 42# removable external keel. The picture is from their web site.

Ray
Feb 12, 2006, 10:40 PM
now thats a sweet project, gotta throw up some more pics,, and do you got a link for there site!!
mike
Feb 13, 2006, 10:03 AM
I don't have any pictures of my own yet, but when I get the kit I will start a build thread and post lots. I purchased a great book by E W Petrejus that describes this class of brigs in minute detail. It makes fascinating reading. The web site for S C & H is

http://www.modelsailingships.com/ships/grasshopper.html

Be sure to look at their two other ship models. They give lots of links to people who have built the kits and other related topics.

There is also a company in England that makes two RTR r/c models of the HMS Victory out of wood. Try

www.rchobby.co.uk/rc_model_hms_victory.html

But I could not get a link this morning. One of their models is about the size of this one, but the other is huge, about 20'. I would hate to pay the shipping to the US.
Feb 13, 2006, 10:15 AM
Useful Idiot
Quote:

There is also a company in England that makes two RTR r/c models of the HMS Victory out of wood. Try

www.rchobby.co.uk/rc_model_hms_victory.html

But I could not get a link this morning. One of their models is about the size of this one, but the other is huge, about 20'. I would hate to pay the shipping to the US.
No problem. Just wait for a long period of easterlies
Feb 13, 2006, 05:49 PM
ohh that schooner looks sweet, wish i had the time and cash to do something like that , would certanly turn heads at the lake
mike