Jan 01, 2006, 10:43 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

New Handley Page Aircraft Spotted

Air Action News
Issue: January 1 1933

Well dear readers, the ever observent boys at Air Action News have been spending a little time across the pond in jolly old England and they have brought back some exciting photos for you. It appears the aircraft company of Handley Page has begun construction of a new prototype. It seems to be a entry for a RAF contract to replace its ageing torpedo and light bombing type of aircraft. As you can tell from the photos its going to be an aircraft of good size, made from wood, and encompasing a radial engine. But those are all the details we have at this time. The men of H.P. are being very quiet at this time. Our sources don't even know if it is a biplane or one of those monoplanes that are growing in popularity as of late. Keep posted for further updates. Till then, keep your face and wings into the wind.

D-Rock
Last edited by D-Rock; Jan 02, 2006 at 04:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2006, 03:12 PM
Thread OP
Air Action News
Issue: January 2 1933

We here at Air Action News have received some new spy shots of the mystery aircraft in the hangars at Hadley Page. It appears that construction of wings is nearing completion. Two wing sections are there but the seem to have different dihedral angles, baflling our reporters. As can been seen in a few photos, famous H.P. test pilot Tommy Bristol seems to be doing some inspection of the airframe. No doubt he is checking to see if everything is up to par before the future test flight. Still digging for more details, our reporters bring you the latest as soon as we get it. Till then, keep your face and wings into the wind.
Jan 02, 2006, 07:36 PM
Thread OP
Air Action News
Issue: January 2 1933

There has been further work completed on the new aircraft. Just as promised, we here at Air Action News have the exclusive photos! As you can this is to be a biplane, and a unique one at that. The aircraft features both gull and inverted gull wings to its outline. The aircraft's designer hopes to eliminate drag by not using cabaines, and the twin gull feature will allow this. We were able to get some basic dimensions, a span of 35 with a length of 27. You can really get a feel for the size of this aircraft from the photos. We will keep you informed as we know more. Till then keep your face and wings into the wind.
Last edited by D-Rock; Jan 02, 2006 at 08:03 PM.
Jan 03, 2006, 12:05 AM
Leave me alone!
Wow! She looks great. Keep those pics coming

Martin
Jan 04, 2006, 12:19 AM
Thread OP
Air Action News
Issue: January 3 1933

New developments at the Handley Page hangars, and Air Action News brings it to you! The design team called for an inspection and progress check, and as you can see, she is coming along. Featuring a twin tail, no doubt to give the tail gunner a clearer view, the airframe hints to its lethalness. Initially fitted in these pics with a Bristol 350 XC, her power will eventually be a Bristol Perseus XXI BL Radial 4200. This engine fitted with a 3 blade propeller should be able to produce close to 120 watts of power. Look out putt putt biplanes of the past, this one is going to be a rocket! The RAF has give her the official designation H.P. 35 and the boys in the shop have dubbed her the Dragonfly, we'll see if that nickname sticks. More news to come when it comes over the wire. Till then keep your face and wings into the wind.
Jan 04, 2006, 04:49 AM
OOOOOOOOO

I love the looks, I can't wait to see it fully built.

Reminds me of the planes from Crimson Skies (A 1930s style air combat computer game). I have been wanting to scratch build some but am unsure if they will actually fly
Jan 04, 2006, 10:49 AM
Who put that TREE there!!
looks cool, keep up the good work!
Jan 06, 2006, 08:53 AM
D-Rock Are you using a speed 400 ?
Last edited by phillipwells; Jan 07, 2006 at 07:03 PM.
Jan 06, 2006, 11:11 AM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
Maybe a 350?

That is so cool... I had tentative plans for something like that out of depron but I think I'd build yours instead!

Cam
Jan 06, 2006, 11:29 AM
Very interesting -- looks kind of like an X-wing from Star Wars...
Jan 06, 2006, 02:54 PM
Perpetual Hobbiest
cool plane and i liked the way you presented it!
Jan 06, 2006, 11:02 PM
MN WATTS Master
Very cool. Makes me want to pull out Crimson Skies again! Can't wait to see the end product!
Jan 06, 2006, 11:28 PM
Thread OP
Air Action News
Issue: January 6 1933

Hello again readers! We here at Air Action News would like to thank all those who have written in. To answer a couple of questions about the proposed power plant, our sources say the Bristol Perseus XXI BL (Brushless) Radial 4200 (5:1 ratio) will be in the nose. We spoke with the H.P.35's designer and he said depending on how successful the aircraft proves to be, the plans may be offered to be built by other aircraft companies. We have no new photos as of yet but we have been told there has been work done with the aileron linkages as well as the mold for the canopy is nearing completion. We hope to have new photos by the weekend. Stay posted and we will keep you current with this project. Till then keep your face and wings into the wind.
D-Rock
Jan 13, 2006, 11:23 PM
Thread OP
Air Action News
Issue: January 13 1933

From the hangars of Handley Page comes some new photos of the H.P. 35. Work has recently been focused of the tail surfaces and their control linkages. Since receiving these photos, Air Action News has been told that the covering of the tail surfaces has been complete and work is being done on the fuselage. But the competition for the new attack aircraft is heating up. The other rival design, the DeHavilland 236 has begun test flights. Very little is know about this aircraft, but we here at Air Action News have the only photo of this secret aircraft. More news on both of these aircraft as it develops. Till then keep your face and wings into the wind.

D-Rock
Jan 14, 2006, 01:37 AM
ARF Hater Club
This is very neat!
The second I saw the plane I was remnded of Crimson Skies, man what a great game!
The plane looks sweet, and your presentation style is creative!

Quick Reply