New "Bat" Epp combat wing. Fast! - Page 11 - RC Groups
Dec 08, 2008, 03:26 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
pedulla0:
Yes, it takes a lot of lead to balance the Bat. When I built mine, The Predator recommended using a smaller battery and using the extra space for lead. That's a good idea... for a start. My first build needed 11oz of lead and the rebuild took 5+2oz additional. That is for a CG somewhere around 4-7/8".

Here's the thread if your interested.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...43#post6487843
to remove ads between posts
Dec 08, 2008, 03:31 PM
i have an arkanj and a prodij and dsing is good for crash models it's the reason i have bought a bat windrider foamies strong and fast i hope you can help to find the weight of the lead for the momment i have > 10 oz .
Dec 08, 2008, 03:32 PM
thanks a lot for your help i have put > 10oz
Dec 08, 2008, 03:39 PM
Please post some pics of your plane and your flying site.

I suddenly have the need to build another Bat.
Dec 08, 2008, 03:55 PM
link of my space with arkanj ,bat , flying site in france and all my hobbies
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=13545884
Last edited by pedulla0; Dec 08, 2008 at 04:00 PM.
Dec 09, 2008, 06:17 AM
The Penultimate flyer
I'm just starting my Bat build, and I've got a question.

Is there a reason why I can't build the Bat with horizontal stabs as shown in the photo below ?
I want to get as far away from the "chicken feet" look as I can, and closer to a Skua.
I'm sure it would have to effect the aerodynamics to some degree, but would the effect be significant ?

I realise they're different platforms, but they do appear to share a similar design.
Dec 09, 2008, 06:27 AM
The Penultimate flyer
Oh, I should have looked back over this thread again.

I knew it looked familiar.
Dec 09, 2008, 06:27 AM
I would mount a single fin that extends past the TE in the center.
Dec 09, 2008, 06:35 AM
The Penultimate flyer
Thanks Sleedo,
Many people seem to go that way...why ?

Is there an advantage over dual fins, and wouldn't it mean more weight in the nose to counter the fin sticking back behind the TE ?

This is all very interesting.
Dec 09, 2008, 10:15 AM
The Predator
pedulla0, cool pics, cheers!

T snake, you almost answered your own question there. . .
The advantage of a single fin over 2 is weight savings. The very same weight savings you'll need to extend a single fin further back, making your bat all the more stable by giving that vericle more leverage/longer reach aft.
That Bat in the pic looks SWEET! I myself used a vert, under and over the boom to mitigate side gusts from twisting it flat (yes it has happened more then once to me) but, if she's a front side flier alone, I doubt you'll need that mod and, I'd do a single fin similar to your pic, to keep it off the ground on landings. The over under fin gets beat on every landing.
Dec 09, 2008, 10:34 AM
thanks the predator , now i wait for wind
Dec 09, 2008, 11:23 AM
agony sweetns the victory
Is there a way to stretch out the nose section an inch or two? That would make for less nose weight to balance it.
Dec 09, 2008, 03:07 PM
Pred pretty much said it all. At very high speeds (150+) I thought my Bat became a bit of a handful and I was going to experiment with dual fins and CG changes but I never did get that far...I finished my JW .
Between 90 and 140 or so the Bat is a really fun plane to DS and sounds awesome!
Bat sounds in Hidden Valley
Last edited by 1000MPH; Dec 09, 2008 at 03:20 PM.
Dec 09, 2008, 03:32 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Thanks guys, that all makes perfect sense now.
I learn something every day.

I think I'll try a single fin, extending behind the TE, and on top only to start with.
Dec 09, 2008, 11:21 PM
Registered DSer
I modified my Bat by adding a fuselage to it (I'll post a photo later tonight).

I did this to:
a. Repair the nose which had taken a severe beating from DS craches
b. Address the 'tail' issue (repeatedly breaking off CF rods) once and for all.

I went for an underslung fuselage with a JW style tail mount out the back. This allowed me to move the noseweight forawrd (into the nose of the fuse pod, slight weight saving) and provide a solid mount for (funnily, a JW shape) a tail fin.

Haven't yet flown it an anger, but will post pics tonight - they tell the whole story.

Cheers

Kahn