Jun 06, 2002, 12:01 AM
Thread OP

Questions about my wally B-36...I'm new to foam.

This is progressing slowly, I also have a 44" ws airtractor I'm piddling with while I wait for a new charger. (long story)

Just wondering whether anyone can tell me of something lighter to use as filler on my wingroot to fuse joint? I don't relish the thought of a quarter inch of spackle!!
I was also thinking about a way of attaching some dummy jet pods to the outer wings in such a way that they will hang on securely after hand launching, but detach, or "give" on landing.
Any ideas? (May never get that far..who knows?)

I'm waiting to get the first flight (or more likely, powered glide) before I finish the 6 engine nacells and paint the upper wing.

How in the world does carving out a 1" section of foam result in a square foot of foam 'fluff'?

One more thought. Have you noticed that with the added taper of the wally glider wing , it has an almost C-47 type taper?
HMMMMmmm.

to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2002, 10:18 PM
Rather than a 1/4" of spackle, build up some layers of foam that are curved as needed. Go light on the epoxy....enough to bond but not add too much weight.
Mount the engines{jet pods} like a wing....small dowels and rubber bands{small ones}.
Last edited by Scratchbuilder; Jun 10, 2002 at 10:21 PM.
Jun 10, 2002, 10:31 PM
Heli Bouncer
The early prototypes of the B36 had no jet booster engines.
My father worked in a refinery near the Consolidated plant in the 40's and he thought the B36 was the most god-awful noise maker ever produced. I wonder if the pusher props on the full scale plane had the same TE interference racket that the Zagi has?
BTW nice plane, I'm planning one too.

Looee
Jun 10, 2002, 10:41 PM
Thread OP
On my motor mounts, I used slightly larger thin ply circles I found in the craft section of wally world, rolled some thick paper stock (like poster board) I had laying around over it and glued it together, then glued the ply in the leading end after cutting a hole for the wires and cooling air to enter on the bottom half.
I then cut thin pieces of foam (the foam my DX-A came in I think) and glued 3 strips spaced around the motor and squeezed in into the tubes.

Static running them with the props didn't result in any movement, and if I need to, I can just pull them back out. I wouldn't try this as a tractor setup, but as a pusher, where are they going to go anyway? I wasn't REALLY going to put on a quarter inch of spackle, but I was hoping someone knew of some light weight foamy type filler. I will probably use your idea of carving foam, but I'm not a great hand at carving.

(Bondo, yes...Ive done autobody work since '79)
http://www.boomspeed.com/boba_fett/stude.JPG

Yes, I didnt use the img tags, cause auto photos belong on auto sites. I can make anything look like anything given enough effort, but I am totally unfamiliar with foam. I tried wet sanding it with 220 grit and 400 grit paper...indifferent results. didn't accomplish much!

Of course on cars, I wasnt worried about weight!
Jun 10, 2002, 10:48 PM
Thread OP
looee, have you seen that photo on the web of the B-36 with the orange tail and tips? Tempting color scheme if this works out. Yes. I have seen the B-36 without jet pods. I just like the looks of them myself (6 turnin,4 burnin is cool)

I picked up a new mag a couple weeks ago, I can't remember the name, but opened it up and darn, a B-36 (much more scale too.) some guy beat us to it. Well, I'll have something unique around HERE anyway.
Jun 11, 2002, 10:40 AM
Your local hobby shop should stock lightweight balsa filler.
Jun 11, 2002, 01:00 PM
you might try some probond polyurathane. it tends to foam up and fill in gaps quite well. try some on a sample, and it's pretty light weight. the fan-fold-foam discussion seems to like it, and i've found it useful. available at home depot or hardware stores.
Jun 11, 2002, 02:22 PM
Heli Bouncer
Maybe the jets can be added later, I just see them ripping off of the wings a lot. Mighty complex wiring job for six motors in my book. I've got some 030 mabuchi's that unfortunately need a minimum of 8 cells to create enough thrust, but they spin 3x2's with good power at .5 amps each at that voltage.

Was that other modellers B36 made from the Life-like Skyrider?
I haven't seen the web image yet, I'll do a google search.

Thanks

Looee
Jun 11, 2002, 03:36 PM
Thread OP
That other B-36 was in a magazine I was thumbing through in Wally world. I can't remember the name, looked like a new one.

Was NOT a converted wally glider.

I was thinking of making the pods out of foam and using velcro or something similar to allow them to "rip off". Either that, or something REALLY flexible. No doubt they will be the first things on the ground.

I decided to try it on throttle only for its maiden flight. That way, I will know if 4 can keep it up in the air, and I dont have to worry about chasing it a mile or 2 if it does. (and don't have to mess with servos yet)

Quick Reply