Dec 29, 2005, 12:56 AM
Taking care of the pond.
Build Log

Banckert Tug

I started building my Banckert, I think Billing Boats forgot to add the instructions with the pictures. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, Well Iím speechless.
I have built the Billing Dragon sailboat, I think the instructions were better.
Don M.
Last edited by mpo11; Feb 27, 2006 at 10:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2005, 02:49 PM

Andy

nkert as my first kitboat about 23 years ago and it was **** then! Have you got the ABS or plank on frame hull version? I had the ABS one and I still have the plans in my model cupboard.If you need em let me know maybe I can post em to you.
Full speed ahead and best wishes from Liverpool
Jan 02, 2006, 12:22 AM
Taking care of the pond.
I found a old 7.2 V. drill, it has a Johnson motor. The motor works so I will use it, I think it's a 550 or 600. I did not like the wood rudders so I made new aluminum oneís.

Don M.
Jan 03, 2006, 12:28 PM
Taking care of the pond.
Last night I made a oil tube for the stuffing box. I made the top funnel shaped, and threaded it for a plug.
Iím using Neoprene ďOĒ rings for the seals, has anyone done this, will it work?
Thanks
Don M.
Jan 03, 2006, 12:50 PM
Don,
Will it work? Sure. Got to be sort of carefull with the 'O' rings, not too tight a fit on the shaft (tight fit = brake, like you didn't know that, right - lol?). Without getting into a big discussion about what you use for oil, not all petroleum products are compatible with plastics or whatever 'O' rings are made of. Just a word of warning...
- 'Doc
Jan 03, 2006, 05:52 PM
Taking care of the pond.
Thanks Doc,
''O'' rings are Neoprene, should work with almost any oil.
Jan 03, 2006, 11:14 PM
Don,
I certainly hope you're right. Being a good learner from mistakes, the worst the mistake, the better I learn, all 'O'rings are not compatible with brake fluids, for example. Unfortunately, those 'O' rings were not on a model. Didn't kill myself, but took years to remove the stains from the upholstery (the line-boy wondered what the smell was - LOL).
- 'Doc
Jan 04, 2006, 12:20 AM
LtDoc, Who would have O-rings that small, a plumbing supply place? If not there, do auto parts places have them that small? Thanks.
Bill

PS - hope you're safe from the fires over there.
Jan 04, 2006, 12:56 AM
my local hardware store carries o-rings from 3/32"(plumbing), autoparts may have them for carburators.
Jan 04, 2006, 01:28 AM
Taking care of the pond.
Pep Boys has a good supply.
Don
Jan 04, 2006, 12:40 PM
Casey Thrower
I used "Permatex WL-9" white lithium grease in my stuffing boxes. Works really well to keep the water out.
Last edited by C Thrower; Jan 04, 2006 at 12:46 PM.
Jan 06, 2006, 01:18 AM
To answer my own question, yes, local auto parts places do have a small cabinet with a very large selection of O-rings. The smallest that NAPA had was a perfect fit for my 1/8 inch prop shaft. The price was right - 37 cents each. They're supposedly made of neoprene, which should be oil-compatible.
My local well-equipped plumbing supply house didn't have anything close to what I needed.
Bill
Jan 06, 2006, 02:58 AM
For many years I have used 'Dow Corning DC4 (used to be MS4) Silicon Compound' when sealing 'O' rings. it is also a great a waterproofer.

One can also make your own 'O' rings by buying lenghts of the rubber, cutting with a scaple and then glueing the two ends with CA glue.
A useful reference is http://www.thesealman.com/pages/orin...ook/index.html
Jan 14, 2006, 05:44 PM
Taking care of the pond.
Ready for sea trials, made a motor mount and couplers for the prop shaft.
I added wood reinforcements to the bow, and some Styrofoam for floatation.
I made a brass bracket for the oil tube. I installed a JR Beat Gear radio and Traxxas
ESC for the sea trials.
Last edited by MILLERTIME; Aug 25, 2011 at 03:00 PM.
Jan 22, 2006, 12:46 AM
Taking care of the pond.
The sea trials went good. It didnít sink.
Iíve been working on the cabin, the kit didnít come with a instrument panel
so I made one.
The kit came with plastic portholes, I didnít like them. I went to Hancock Fabrics and got some brass eyelets, and used them. Next I will be putting lights on the mast.
Last edited by mpo11; Jan 22, 2006 at 01:45 AM.