Dec 26, 2005, 01:58 PM
Needs brain lubrication
Thread OP
Cool

This Thing's Rippin'

It's made of 5mm Depron, some carbon kite tubes and tape. Span is 0.8m, AR 9.3, LE sweep 30(45 at the tip), flat plate airfoil, weighs about 145g or so. Run by a Feigao and Lipos. The flaps on the outboard wing portion are acting merely as ailerons, the inboard flaps are the elevator (where down deflection means up elevator). This model was built in order to prove the special flap setup. Seems to work just fine. This concept allows the use of airfoils with even slightly negative cm and avoids the necessity of reflexing the airfoil when applying up elevator.

As I mentioned this is just a prove of concept, so there is a successor to come in a more decent size and building quality, including the use of an airfoil other than a flat plate .

Ah, and it's named 'rip', not that there is any meaning in it, there was just that decostuff of a Graupner 'Slipper' FF-HLG kit lying around, so it could have been just as good a 'piper' or 'pie' or 'pile' or 'Sire' or...whatever.
But wait, wasn't it expected to rip (the bring) anyway?

biber
Last edited by biber; Jan 09, 2006 at 09:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 26, 2005, 04:58 PM
Needs brain lubrication
Thread OP
The attached pic shows a 3d-view generated by the program 'Nurfluegel', written by Frank Ranis. The wing design itself was also made on that software (download: http://www.zanonia.de/nurfluegel.zip). Despite the fact, that it's not capable of taking WLs into account, it is broadly used by german modellers for designing flying wings and wings of common models to. Turns out to be a quite helpful tool, not to complicated to use and well, it doesn't cost one cent . Thanks to Mr. Ranis.

biber
Last edited by biber; Dec 26, 2005 at 06:23 PM.
Dec 26, 2005, 06:04 PM
Jeep Geek with wings
I'm confused-- how does down elevator equal up elevator?!?!

cool lookin' bird, though
Dec 26, 2005, 06:35 PM
Needs brain lubrication
Thread OP
The additional lift produced by a positive deflection of the central flaps is working on the wing portions lying in front of the neutral point and thus causing a nose up.

biber
Dec 27, 2005, 01:48 AM
hmm i think the word "flap" confused ya burntkat, replace the word "flap" with "control surface", its easier to understand.
Dec 28, 2005, 04:04 PM
PWP!
Biber

What does the Nurfluegel program do? It seems real neat, but I can't read German. Is there an english translation for it?

Thanks,

JOhn
Dec 30, 2005, 06:08 PM
Needs brain lubrication
Thread OP
That software does calculation of the lift distribution of plane wings, including more or less exactly the effects of sweep. It calculates the induced drag also.

It has got a built in Eppler-code, so that it can calculate (again more or less exactly) airfoil polars for the used airfoils, so that a calculated wing polar is available. But one shouldn't hang too much on the Eppler thing, it's not that reliable. For questions on airfoils I'd ask rather the Xfoil.

The particular flight situation that is to be analysed, can be chosen either by AoA, Ca, % stab. margin, absolute position of C.G., or by an airspeed. Flaps and control surfaces can be defined and deflected.

The guys who made the program and do the maintainance would like to have someone translate it into english, as remember to have read once in the german forum. But that is quite some work to do and should be done in cooperation with a native speaker with sufficient knowledge on aero sciences, I guess.

biber
Last edited by biber; Dec 30, 2005 at 06:25 PM.
Dec 30, 2005, 06:37 PM
Needs brain lubrication
Thread OP
This links to a post on rc-network where someone made a proposition for translation into finnish and english: http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showp...38&postcount=9

biber
Last edited by biber; Dec 30, 2005 at 07:05 PM.

Quick Reply