Sep 29, 2018, 11:07 PM
Thread OP
hey byrocat!
i've been out of RC for a while, but recently got back into it just over a year ago... mostly flying. before, i did mostly building and designing and minimal flying... so i could never maiden my designs because i wouldn't know if i crashed because of being a poor pilot or due to poor design.
i've seen become a much better pilot and have started into EDF.
i have been meaning to go back and convert my pushers to EDF including the MiG-25 since that was my first design based off of steve shumate's F-15 design style. i'd love to convert my MiG-21, MiG-23, MiG-15, F-100, F-101 and F-105 at some point.
the MiG-25 is a real floater. i used those weak can brushless motors from back in the day. i'm sure a 64mm EDF would be more than fine. i got a 70mm EDF 4s unit recommended by the Flitetest team for their Viggen and that would be more than enough, depending upon what your flying goals are.
hope that helps. if you make the conversion please post some pics and some advice for those of us following along!
-beanie
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2020, 03:20 AM

Winter project

Hello Beanie after a few years it's a pleasure to build your nice Mig 25 a second time.

This time with pipes and a few other optical details

Here are some pictures.

Greetings

Stephan
Last edited by Stephan Wagenhof; Jan 25, 2020 at 12:44 PM.
Jan 17, 2020, 08:22 AM
Thread OP
hey stephan! that looks awesome! i'm glad the Foxbat is still getting some love. she looks fantastic. i stalled out on my v2.0. i was going to go back to redesign my early birds and use the curved foam technique that i used on my later designs like the MiG-21, MiG-15, MiG-17 and MiG-19 builds. then i got sidetracked into flying EDF. and so now, the eventual plan is to go back and redesign or reconfigure each of the birds for EDF. right now i'm working on tweaking the MiG-23 swing wing design. i think the MiG-25 would be a great jet for EDF. tons of space in the fuse, huge inlet areas, and super light wing loading.
have you flown your new one yet?
-beanie
Jan 17, 2020, 09:03 AM
hello beanie

yes an EDF would work very good in the Mig-25 !

I did not flew it, i take the risk and do the maiden flight after the paint job.

I will let you know how it's gone

stephan
Jan 17, 2020, 04:12 PM
Thread OP
good luck! lemme know how she does in the air.
-beanie
Jan 23, 2020, 02:25 AM
Hey beanie, long time no hear ����, glad you are back into it. The first foamy I ever built and posted here was the Mig-25. It flew sooo good. I really want to build a bigger one again. What’s going to be your next project?
Jan 23, 2020, 08:33 AM
Thread OP
hey deuce!
good to hear from ya! i've spent the last 3 years basically flying all the time. a decade ago i was basically designing and building all the time. i never flew my designs in the past because i couldn't tell if i crashed it was because i was a bad pilot or a bad designer. but now, i've logged just shy of 5000 flights in just about 3.25 years. so, now i'm confident enough with my piloting skillz. i'm going back to all my planes that have been designed and built but not yet flown. first i flew my RFB Fantrainer that i designed after seeing Spacemanspiff's nifty design. she flew great, but was underpowered with the original 64mm GWS brushed setup. so then i redesigned her to be more scale and put in a brushless 64mm from a deceased FW Stinger. she flew and made a lot of noise, but didn't seem to be getting anywhere fast. i then rebuilt her with a 4s 64mm brushless FMS 12 blade jobbie and boy! did that take care of the power issue! but so much so that the airframe couldn't handle the power. the wings were flexing and twisting like crazy. so i redesigned the wings and built a 4th version. this one has been super sweet. she can slow to a crawl and then scoot along with authority when called upon. her verticals are way better than almost all of the rest of my fleet. i've just logged my 103rd flight with her. she needs a paint job that i keep putting off.
next, i have un-mothballed my MiG-23 swing wing design. i've logged just over a dozen flights on her trying to get the taileron settings to my liking. she was again underpowered on the original setup, so i've gone through a couple motor changes and now like where she is at. she's docile with wings unswept, but really squirrel-ly with swept wings. and my wing actuating servo is too weak, so after she sweeps backward, she can't unsweep... which led to some hairy flights. i'm currently still tweaking the MiG-23. next will be a getting the bigger MiG-23 in the air... and then plans to convert the MiG-23 and redesign her from the ground up for 70mm EDF. after that, i'll be looking at the MiG-21 or MiG-25 again. my eventual plan is to redesign all my jets for EDF at some point, but its a lot slower going now that i've discovered the joy of flying!
sorry, long winded answer to your question. hope you are doing well my friend!
-beanie
Jan 25, 2020, 12:48 PM
Hello friends here are some pictures after the paintwork.

stephan
Jan 25, 2020, 01:52 PM
Thread OP
looks fantastic! have u used a triblade pusher before?
-beanie
Jan 25, 2020, 02:00 PM
thanks

yes yes it is a graupner electric 3 blade

little weight low vibration and in my opinion very efficient

Quick Reply