Dec 05, 2010, 01:16 AM
Watt Amps?

mystery D2836 1700 for minimag???

Hi,

anyone out there used a Mystery D2836 1700kv on a minimag (or something similar?)?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/21...ess_Motor.html

i've had the motor laying around for a while and recently picked up a minimag kit. the motor appears to fit the stock plastic mount (not sure if the mount is strong enough as the motor is several times more powerful than the stock brushed motor.

should i use a smaller motor? would hate for the flying experience to be sub-optimal on account of my eagerness to use what i have lying around....

would appreciate any advice....
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2010, 03:16 PM
Heli's rule!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunGi View Post
Hi,

anyone out there used a Mystery D2836 1700kv on a minimag (or something similar?)?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/21...ess_Motor.html

I've had the motor laying around for a while and recently picked up a minimag kit. the motor appears to fit the stock plastic mount (not sure if the mount is strong enough as the motor is several times more powerful than the stock brushed motor.

should i use a smaller motor? would hate for the flying experience to be sub-optimal on account of my eagerness to use what i have lying around....

would appreciate any advice....
Really this plane will fly on anything, I mean, it was designed around a speed 400 motor ... you need to decide what YOU want to do with it..Do you want a relaxing parkflyer? Then you need lower KV and bigger prop. Do you want a speed demon? Then your motor is perfect with a smaller prop.

If it fits and you really want to fly I would use it. the KV is a little higher than I would use, but still reasonable. You also dont HAVE to use all that extra power.... on your first flight find out how much max power you think you need, then land and set the throttle endpoint there if its got too much available. If you dont like the way it flies, swap out the motor later.

The only thing is its going to use more amps due to higher KV than if you used one around the 900-1200kv that I like, which will mean shorter flight times... so eventually you should get a lower KV motor for it IMO.... The advantage of a lower KV bigger prop on a plane like this, is the plane is capable of flying pretty slow, but with a small prop you dont get the acceleration you really need to fly really slow because if you stall, you cant instantly power out of it like you could with a bigger prop, and with a small prop you cant point the nose up and fly partly on the prop below stall speed...

On the other hand, the multiplex "power pack" uses a 2000kv motor I believe, but also a tiny prop, 5.5x4.5.... I use an 8x4.3 on mine and love the performance, but I also use a 1000kv motor... amp draw is around 11 at full throttle, so i get nice long flights on my 2000mah 3 cell packs... Ive heard of others using up to a 10" prop on theirs.

You may also be interested in this metal motor mount made for the minimag http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...&ref=MDMTPLXMM
Dec 06, 2010, 01:53 AM
aka KF7DS
I have the 2000kv him motor and it is a wonderful speed demon on a 6x4 prop.

I love this plane and fly it often, especially to try new things for the first time. Durable too.

Don
Dec 06, 2010, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsinger1 View Post
I have the 2000kv him motor and it is a wonderful speed demon on a 6x4 prop.

I love this plane and fly it often, especially to try new things for the first time. Durable too.

Don
don..,

Like you, I love the MM. I have two, one with the 2000Kv motor (Himax HC2815-2000 inrunner) and one with a 910Kv motor ( Himax HC2816-910 outrunner). I use a APC 6x4E prop on the 2000Kv motor and an APC 8x6E prop on the 910 motor. Both fly extremely well and I use the 8x6 one for slower flights and some maneuvering. Being an older guy, it suits me well. Truly, both are great fun to fly.
Dec 07, 2010, 01:48 AM
aka KF7DS
I think I will try your combo on my next MM build.....I have a "spare" in the shop.

Sounds like it would be a nice and a bit less intense flier.

Don
Dec 10, 2010, 10:54 AM

improving performance

I'm flying a Minimag with Himax 2816 1220kv motor, 27A ESC, 10 x 5 prop and 2200mah 2S 25C pack.
Performance is good but I want better. Any recommendations? I want to keep the motor but can change everything else.
Dave
Dec 10, 2010, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMarles View Post
I'm flying a Minimag with Himax 2816 1220kv motor, 27A ESC, 10 x 5 prop and 2200mah 2S 25C pack.
Performance is good but I want better. Any recommendations? I want to keep the motor but can change everything else.
Dave
Dave,

From what I read above, I would use a 3S 2200 25C LiPo 11.1 v battery to begin with. Next I would consider an APC 8x6E prop, as the 10" prop is a little large for the MM. Check the amp draw with the 8x6 prop, just to be safe. Should work. I use Turnigy 40A ESC (belt and suspenders).
Dec 11, 2010, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinske View Post
Dave,

From what I read above, I would use a 3S 2200 25C LiPo 11.1 v battery to begin with. Next I would consider an APC 8x6E prop, as the 10" prop is a little large for the MM. Check the amp draw with the 8x6 prop, just to be safe. Should work. I use Turnigy 40A ESC (belt and suspenders).
Thanks, I'll give that a try .
Dave
Feb 06, 2011, 07:45 AM
Pro Bro # 2398

heres my minimag with floats

it has a 450 outrunner with 25 amp ESC powerd by 2200mah 3c batts...i have a aftermarket motor mount made of metal but i cant remember where i bought it. getting old.http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?..._order&list=UL
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?..._order&list=UL
Feb 07, 2011, 09:45 AM
Just got notice that the MiniMag is not being carried by Tower Hobbies any more. I assume this means it will no longer be sold by Multiplex. Does anyone know?
Feb 07, 2011, 10:21 AM
I doubt that
Feb 07, 2011, 10:21 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinske View Post
Just got notice that the MiniMag is not being carried by Tower Hobbies any more. I assume this means it will no longer be sold by Multiplex. Does anyone know?
The MiniMag ist still sold by Multiplex. Actually, MPX just announced a new BL drive set for it: Permax BL-O 2830-1100 (52g, 1100kv outrunner), 20A ESC with switching BEC, 8x5" prop and 3s/2000mAh battery.

Jürgen
Feb 07, 2011, 11:31 AM
That sounds alot better then their current one, a 6X4 seems way to small to me for the plane.
Feb 07, 2011, 11:56 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicBanana View Post
That sounds alot better then their current one, a 6X4 seems way to small to me for the plane.
That was never an original MPX recommendation, but a MPX USA drive set.

Jürgen
Feb 07, 2011, 12:17 PM
Finally my Minimag flying well. I have 2600kV motor and 6x4 prop.

Is minimag copy of the real plane, or invented such a model? Also I have a Twinstar, so I just wanted to know if there is such a real plane?

Quick Reply