Nov 30, 2008, 12:58 AM
Heli's rule!
No CA doesn't eat Elapor foam. You want to use normal CA, not foam safe. The kicker is used because the foam doesn't have a high enough water content to make slower setting CA's set in an acceptable amount of time. Kicker just makes CA's like medium CA set quick, basically it sets as soon as the kicker hits it, instead of taking 10-30 seconds.

If you ever get medium ca on you, dont spray kicker on it to dry it so you can peel it off... it gets really hot....
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2008, 01:01 AM
Lou
Lou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Orange
I thought about putting the guts into something new instead, but this plane is too fun to fly not to rebuild it. It was handling some pretty gusty wind nicely too with the undercarriage removed.
Ouch! Sorry to hear of the demise of your MM. I flew mine yesterday as well. I am west of you and it was quite windy. The gearless MM did quite well but my day ended a bit better than yours.

Give BPHobbies.com a try for that fuselage. I don't know if they have it in stock but many of the Multiplex parts have a 'make us an offer' button. You can usually save the cost of shipping or close to it.
Dec 02, 2008, 01:18 PM
"plane don't hurt"
okay, now i want to put my cannon sd500 (6 ounces) on this plane. Will it work? i was thinking of just strapping it right under the fuselage at the CG point and if it worked then possibly cutting out a chunk to fit it in so that it points down and forward. what do you think? too heavy to get off the ground?
Dec 03, 2008, 08:12 AM
Hello
It is areally epic thread.
And in time I read a lot of useful informations.
But I still have a question and I will be very grateful if somebody will enlighten me
What happen if I move the motor 2mm down.
No angle modify only made a new motor mount with the center hole down.
Dec 09, 2008, 12:37 PM

MiniMag info?

Does anyone know what the wing incidence is (relative to the stab) and what the thrust angles are on a new minmag?
Thanks a lot.
NormS
Dec 11, 2008, 03:26 PM
Hy Norm
It looks like everybody went gone in x-mas holidays.
About incidence
I read almost the entire thread and see nothing about .
A solution would be a side photo brought in ACAD and then from the drawings made the measurements.
If you do not have the plane I will try to help you/
Let me know
Dec 11, 2008, 04:09 PM
I will try to post the result
I hope this will be helpful
[IMG]
Dec 11, 2008, 11:36 PM
Lou
Lou
Norm .... why the interest in the incidence?

As you can see from horja picture, the MM will want to climb when power is applied. If you are having trouble with that, you can do as I have done. At the rear of the wing, add a piece of velcro onto the body and the mateing piece onto the bottom rear of the wing. This will take out some of the positive incidence in the wing and will calm the climb tendency down.

Of course you would still use the the wing bolt to attach the wing to the body.
Dec 12, 2008, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieB
Norm .... why the interest in the incidence?

As you can see from horja picture, the MM will want to climb when power is applied. If you are having trouble with that, you can do as I have done. At the rear of the wing, add a piece of velcro onto the body and the mateing piece onto the bottom rear of the wing. This will take out some of the positive incidence in the wing and will calm the climb tendency down.

Of course you would still use the the wing bolt to attach the wing to the body.
Horja and LouieB, thanks a lot for getting back to me.

I let someone borrow the model and it came back in pieces. I’ve been trying to straighten it out ever since because I let other people fly it with a buddy box, and I need it to fly reasonably well for them. What I've been doing is adjusting something and then flying it to see the result of the mod. I’m hoping that the picture horja posted will allow me to get it back close to the original model’s angles and moments.

LouieB, to answer your question, I was trying to control a severe climbing under power issue after I found that adding downthrust wasn’t helping. I raised the rear edge of the wing with a few layers of tape and the flight characteristics went straight down the drain. The plane now porpoises at low speeds (continually heads up and stalls) and has become a real bear to fly, let alone land I’ve added tons of down elevator trim and it flies better at about half-throttle, though its still pretty bad. Inverted flight and dive testing leads me to believe that the plane’s nose heavy, even though it balances right at the CG indicated in the manual. All and all, its pretty screwed up and in part I’m trying to fix it in an attempt to understand what’s going on. Actually, this plane is so out of trim that flying it has improved the way I fly my other planes, not that I recommend this as a training method.

Even though I didn’t change the wing incidence that much with the tape I think I may have gotten into a negative incidence situation, probably caused by the way I put it back together after the crash. I would love to know what the original angles were because the plane flew great before it got destroyed.

Thanks a lot.
NormS
Dec 12, 2008, 08:17 PM
Lou
Lou
Yipes! That is one sick plane. Any pictures of the plane and where are you measuring the CG at, also what motor and battery are you using?

The thickness of the velcro that I used at the back of my wing is about 1/8 of an inch, the velcro along with the additonal down and right thrust in the motor made my MM a real nice flyer.

If the mounting area in the body for where the wing sits is still good and tail feathers are still good, you may want to buy a new wing.

BPHobbies usually have them in stock.
Dec 14, 2008, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieB
Yipes! That is one sick plane. Any pictures of the plane and where are you measuring the CG at, also what motor and battery are you using?
LB, I'm not ignoring you; I was away skiing the entire weekend. Believe me, I appreciate the help and suggestions.

With the battery in its usual position the plane balances perfectly 67mm behind the LE at the fuselage , which is where the manual says it should balance. The motor is a Medusa Research MR-028-040-1700 with an APCe 7x5 prop, and all of my batteries are the same: ThunderPower 3s-2100's.

About the only parts of the plane that haven't been rebuilt at one time or another are the vertical and horizontal stabs, so I'm going to use the picture from horja and try to re-align everything using the horizontal stab as a datum. Unfortunately, now that the ski season has kicked in its going to take me a while to fix it up and try it out, but I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks a lot
NormS.
Dec 14, 2008, 11:28 PM
Lou
Lou
Not a problem Norm, glad your getting a chance to ski.

I have a Medusa also, but in the 2200kv as I recall and I am using the 2100 size lipo as well. With that motor, you may want to add some more down and right thrust to it. You will need to remove those 3 inner fins in the motor mount housing, to do so.

It does sound like you just have a badly out of alignment MM. Perhaps in a few months you will have it all lined out, just in time for spring flying.

Louie
Dec 15, 2008, 12:03 PM
"plane don't hurt"
Okay, ive been flying my MM for a little while now, feel pretty comfortable with hand throws and ROG , my landings could still use a little work. One thing that i think needs improvement is the initial get up and go. I frequently feel like on the take off it takes a while to get to a comfortable speed and altitude gain. Once its in the air i can cruise around at less than half throttle. I do notice a very loud vibration at higher throttle which is robbing some power. So im looking into that as well. If i wanted a bit more torque a larger prop would be needed right? I have the MPX brushless upgrade which is an Himax HC2815-2000 Brushless Motor, Multiplex MULTIcont BL-17 ESC and APC 5.5 X 4.5 APC SP400 E Prop

Can i get a larger prop or would i be pushing too many amps?
Dec 15, 2008, 09:38 PM
Lou
Lou
Eruji .... I don't have time to rewrite some of what I have already posted. Search this thread for my user. I have info in there for your motor and prop combinations as well as how I mounted the motor and reduced my vibration.

Basically with that BL-17 you can not go any larger than the 5.5x4.5 speed 400 prop on 3s lipo. 17.8 amps and 182 watts.

You can use a 6x5.5e on 2s which is 15.1 amps and 110 watts.

Your best bet is to move to a 25 or bigger amp ESC of your choice. The Castle Creation Thunderbird is a good choice. Never can have too big of an ESC.
Dec 16, 2008, 02:47 AM
Hi there fellow Minimag people!

I have a dilemma. I have been wanting a Minimag for quite a while now. LHS sold out, and bought a used MM off Ebay which apparently just needed the motor mount glued back in and servos + Rx and was ready to go!

Well I am the first to admit I have been 'done'
Came with a 30A ESC and Towerpro 2408 21T. NO motor mount!

Please take a look at the pics and advise me if this can be saved? And flown, After the guy has butched the whole front off the plane....And if so how? I'm worried about what type of mount I can possibly use? And thrust angles and such.......

Or am I better off 'doing my dough' and cursing myself and Ebay and throwing the lot in the trash?

Quick Reply