Jun 04, 2002, 08:26 AM
Thread OP

Will a GSW cub power plant fly this plane?

As soon is I found out that I can use sturdy board to build these small models I got started on my first foam flyer. The plane is a turbo porter with around a 45" wing span and fuelage of about 29" long. My question is, will the motor system that comes with the GSW cub fly this porter im building. Im at the stage were I need to think about how and were the motor system needs to be mounted and i dont want to under power the model at all. I am building he model as light as posible. Any info on what size planes the GSW power systems can fly will be very helpful.

Thanks
Mike
to remove ads between posts
Jun 04, 2002, 08:51 AM
Michele Somaschini, Spain
I like Porter too. I've a scratch built model for a small 049 Cox motor. It was a nice model but not so light as I wanted. Now is hanging form the ceiling.

The easy way to set the right size and weight is comparing with other GWS models with scale fuselage (Cub and Beaver).

Take a look at GWS site and see technical specifications: http://www.gws.com.tw/english/produc...y/airplane.htm

Just my 2 EURO cents.
Jun 04, 2002, 10:48 AM
Just my gut feeling, but a foam plane of that dimension will need at least a geared 280 or 300 to fly. Don't think the IPS is cut out for it. I may be wrong. Keep us posted, and some pics will be nice too.
Last edited by shazi; Jun 04, 2002 at 11:13 AM.
Jun 04, 2002, 10:54 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
I agree with Shazi, at a 45" span the GWS motor won't power it very well. An M100 should handle the job though.
Jun 04, 2002, 11:34 AM
Size doesn't matter. It's the weight that counts. If the model is less than 280 grams the GWS IPS will fly it. Even at 300 grams 7 cells on an IPS will fly it (that's all up flying weight I'm speaking of). If it's over 300g go to a bigger motor.

By comparison my 43.3 inch span Styrene Stick will ROG with as little as 5 cells on a GWS IPS motor and 9x7 prop. It weighs 245 grams.
Last edited by Vonbaron; Jun 04, 2002 at 11:36 AM.
Jun 04, 2002, 11:47 AM
Thread OP
Whats a M100. Each wing panel is going to be 20"long x5.5" wide so its going to have about 220 Sq"s of wing area. This is a good bit less than the GSW cub. I also plan for the plane to be lighter than the cub so maybe it would work. I was getting 45" wingspan because thats what the total will be when you include the fuselage. Im going with a plug in style wing so I can get good scale looks with this plane.

Thanks
Mike
Jun 04, 2002, 11:51 AM
Thread OP
Here are a few more pics. the fuselage only has four bulkheads and it is very very strong. after a beaf up the wing saddle and landing gear areas its going to be even stronger. so far the complete model will be built with the sturdy board foam except for a balsa spar for pluging the wings in the fuselage. I will post more pics of the progress. i made the plans and built this much last nite so maybe I will have it finished by the weekend.

Thanks
Mike
Jun 04, 2002, 12:06 PM
Michele Somaschini, Spain
Veeeeeery nice foamie, Mike.

Are you gonna use the same undercambered wing as GWS parkflyers?

A 3 or 4 blade prop would be perfect for a scale model.

I like this aircraft. Have you seen the movie "Air America" when it lands on a steep landing field on a hill.
Jun 04, 2002, 12:29 PM
Thread OP
RookieOne, I plane to build a wing with spar unlike the undercambered wings GSW has with there kits. Is there any drawbacks to building a wing over a undercambered? I really want to make the model look good as well as fly good. Again any hints of tips will be helpful.

Thanks
Mike
Jun 04, 2002, 01:27 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Looks very nice Mike.

M100 is the top motor here:

http://www.toddsmodels.com/largebrushedmotors.htm

Stats are here:

http://www.toddsmodels.com/tr389.htm

7 ounces of thrust on 7 cells. I'm running it on lithium ions on a 7 ounce aerobatic plane and it's a great performing motor.

Like Vonbaron said, weight is everything. I assumed with your wingspan that you'd probably tip the scales at 9 or more ounces, but who knows with a foamie! If you can keep it under 7 ounces, a GWS DX-A will do ya fine!
Jun 04, 2002, 05:39 PM
Hey Mike,the GWS box works great on planes in the 7-9 oz range.A 7 cell 300 nimh pack will give you up to 15 min flights.Like someone said size isn't as important as weight.You also need to look at wing area.Even though the span is 45in,the porter has a narrow chord,so it still might not have as much wing as you think it does.I try to shoot for 200 sq in with that drive system.Looks great so far!
Jun 04, 2002, 08:39 PM
Thread OP
Ok this is what Im finding hard to understand. I went to go get some CA to use on foam and while I was at the hobby shop i asked if I could weigh a complete GWS flight pack with battery, motor and prop unit and it was right at 8 ounces by its self. Now how in the world do i build a plane under an ounce? Now everything was still in its packing but I figure thats maybe 1/2 and ounce so what should I do? Oh yeah I put my fuselage with vertical stabilzer on the scales and it alone was almost 2 ounces.

Thanks
mike
Jun 04, 2002, 09:29 PM
Mike,I come up with about 3.5 oz for GWS motor/gearbox,2 servos,ESC,and 7cell nimh pack.The flight packs that I usually see come with a 6cell nicd pack which weighs .6 oz more.If you can keep the airframe under 4oz you'll be in business.
Jun 04, 2002, 10:19 PM
Thread OP
Well, I might be ok. What you see in the pic below is just under 2 ounces. You guys think I can add wings, wheels, and some other minor foam parts to finish off the cowl and nose and keep it under 4 ounces? I think i can.

Thanks
Mike
Jun 04, 2002, 10:21 PM
Thread OP
Oh yeah if the GWS stuff is that light the scales i used must be way way off. So that must mean that the wieght of my fuselage might be way off and it might only be like 1 ounce. I sure hope this thing will fly.

Mike

Quick Reply