About To Buy A X-Twin/AeroAce, Anything I Need To Be Aware Of? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 19, 2005, 06:40 PM
Alert

About To Buy A X-Twin/AeroAce, Anything I Need To Be Aware Of?

Hey guys,

I want to buy one of these little planes to mess around with.

Just wondering, are there any different versions, types or whatever, that are available? Do the different colours mean anything? Are there V1s, V2s and so on?

What is needed to complete the package, just some AAs for the TX? How many?

Cheers, Duane
to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2005, 07:20 PM
this place rocks!!!
6AA but beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!you will be guttin' this sucker by the end of the first day!!!!!!!!!!
Dec 19, 2005, 09:28 PM
Space Coast USA
Open the package in the store and look for warped wings, motors not pointing in the same direction, spin both props--do they both spin about the same amount of time?

All of those except the motor spinning differently can be fixed, but why buy one that needs fixing?
Dec 20, 2005, 05:41 AM
Thanks guys.

What about if I order online? Is the chance of getting a messed up one quite high? How many people have got faulty ones?

Cheers, Duane
Dec 20, 2005, 08:32 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
You will prob. be fine. Don't worry so much. Be wary of investing a bunch of you time and money "modding" these simple toys. Trim it out and fly it. It does just fine in a single court gym in the hands of total newbs. I let two young boys and their grandfather fly mine at the last indoor session. None of them had flown before and they all did just fine after a couple of encounters with the walls. The youngest turned out to be the smoothest flyer of the bunch.

They needs a small amount of nose weight added and that is about all.

I doubt that ripping open boxes at the store is going to be very well recieved by security.

Read through the gigantic thread here, the few problems that have been encounters appear to have simple soultiuons.
Dec 20, 2005, 12:20 PM
ncb
ncb
A&P
All you need to see is if the props are not broken. You can adjust the motor alignment easily. Add a small washer on the belly of the nose and away you go. I have three of them and they all fly great after adding the washer and aligning the motors.
Dec 20, 2005, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the info guys.
I orderded one online, but I double checked that I can return if its faulty.

So what type of washer do I add, just any small one?
Any other essential 'mods' before its maiden?

Oh, by 'aligning the motors', does that mean just check that they are at the same angles and all that? If they are wrong, how do you change them? Just bend the foam?

Cheers, Duane
Dec 20, 2005, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimole
Thanks for the info guys.
I orderded one online, but I double checked that I can return if its faulty.

So what type of washer do I add, just any small one?
Any other essential 'mods' before its maiden?

Oh, by 'aligning the motors', does that mean just check that they are at the same angles and all that? If they are wrong, how do you change them? Just bend the foam?

Cheers, Duane

The motors are mounted to the foam wing using double sided tape. You can realign them easily by slowly peeling the motors and remount accordingly. No foam bending required unless you want to fly with a bent wing which i don't think is advisable.

hklam
Dec 20, 2005, 10:01 PM
del
del
One thing you might want to consider is buying two!

I bought one and took it to the gym. It was an immediate hit.
And became the favroite model to pass along to folks who just
"happened by" and had never flown indoor RC.

I told folks, "don't worry, if you bust it I'll use the parts to build the
next one." Nobody's been able to break it yet! So I had to go buy
a second model to take apart..

--del
Dec 21, 2005, 02:33 AM
Duane,
To make it balance correctly and improve the flight pattern, just screw a self tapping woodscrew into the nose. Use a size a bit larger than you would use to secure a normal sized servo into a model. Try a few flights like this. Then pull the bottom wings off AND take the screw out of the nose and fly it again. and see which you prefer. I prefer it without the bottom wing. In a light breeze, the biplane because its so draggy, can get pushed down so that it flies in ground effect for a while before climbing up again. A third suggestion is, extend the wing (monoplane version) by 3/4" on each side with some scrap foam. This is my favourite version. It will turn using full left and right control without losing height. The draggy biplane, if the turn is held full on for any length of time can spiral into the ground. Folks use this technique to lose height and for an entertaining flight pattern.

I had one motor that was out of alignment and I managed to realign it just by twisting it into a new position. Check alignment by holding a strip of card along the line of the propellers.

The other Graham
Last edited by Graham Smith; Dec 21, 2005 at 02:44 AM.