Jun 03, 2002, 03:31 PM
Thread OP

Revo mixing and other questions

I'm trying to understand more before getting into e-heli.
But the more I learn, the more questions I have

1. What is revo mixing? Is it a mixing between the throttle and the rudder (tail) controls (i.e. the sticks on the left side of the Tx)?

2. Does a Futaba 7UAFS have revo mixing?

3. How do I know how much mixing would I need to set for a Piccolo? (Trail and error?)

4. Since mixing is linearly proportional, but the main rotor and the tail rotor forces MAY NOT be linearly proportional, how could the linear revo mixing balance the heil with the tail rotor to counter the main rotor's rotational force at different throttle? Is the gyro helping the balancing as well?

5. If I have a piccolo board that has the integrated receiver (with a JR rx that's not compatible with my Futaba Tx), is it still possible to use any of the board's functions (gyro, mixing, and/or ESCs), and how?

6. For a heli with CP (e.g. piccolo with upgrade), which Tx stick controls the CP (main rotor blade pitch), since the right sticks already controls the ailron and nick (heli pitch) and the left sticks controls the rudder and throttle? And what is throttle curve for?

7. When I turn a heli, do I give a little nick and aileron only? Must I also give some rudder?

I hope I'm using the correct terms for heli.

Thanks,
Victor
to remove ads between posts
Jun 03, 2002, 04:54 PM
Invalid user
Victor,

1. Yep, adjust tail thrust to compensate for change in rotor torque
2. http://www.futaba-rc.com/manuals/super7-manual-a.pdf, http://www.futaba-rc.com/manuals/super7-manual-b.pdf, shows that it has all the necessary heli mix functions.
3. Start at 100% and work down (for the Piccolo at least) seemed to work well for me. Everyones setup will be a little different. (If using piccoboard, no TX rev-mix adjustment is needed, there is an adjustment on the board.)
4. Heli radios have a multi point rev-mix curve, you adjust at each point. Some have more points than others...
5. I'd bet you would have to find a way to disable the on board receiver so that it doesn't interfere with the inputs from the external receiver. Then solder on the leads for the external connections. (Thats a guess though, as I haven't seen one fo those boards.) If that's the case it would probably be easier to use separate compoents and sell the piccoboard as you have a heli capable controller.
6. Throttle and collective are on the same channel.
7. Depends on how you are flying. I usually need to give some rudder to straighten it out when I'm flying circuits. Not sure if it's normal, I'm not that great of a pilot. In the basement I use the tail extensively...

Welcome to the Piccolo world! I recommend visiting the Ikarus BB too...

-P
Last edited by pwkpete; Jun 03, 2002 at 04:59 PM.
Jun 03, 2002, 08:43 PM
Thread OP
Great! Thanks for the answers They are similar to what I guessed, but it's assuring to have someone much more experienced than I'm to confirm that.

And yes, I also visit the IKarus BBS.

Hmm.. if throttle and CP are on the same channel, that means the blade pitch increases as the motor speed increases. This makes sense for going up vertically. Then how do I make the blade pitch to go "negative" for inverted hovering? Would that be by flipping a switch on another channel to change the throttle-CP mixing? Or would I set the stick in the middle for idle/zero throttle and zero pitch?
Quote:
6. Throttle and collective are on the same channel.
Jun 03, 2002, 09:57 PM
Invalid user
For 3d, you can set the throttle curve to be flat or V shaped. (Or whatever you want) You can use the hold on the Tx to keep the throttle off until you release it at center position. You wouldn't want to have 0 throttle at center position though! (You need to have an ESC than can do a soft start) Otherwise you can use an ESC with a governor that will assure you constant head speed...

I'm no expert, just an amateur in training I have 2 Piccolos a CP Hornet and now a Logo10... I currently can put them together better than I can fly them, argh... I'm working on that though!

If you want to see my helis, the www button on the post will take you to my site that has pics and tips...

Good luck!
Jun 03, 2002, 10:11 PM
Throttle and collective are on different channels, (3 & 6 usually).

The pitch curve and throttle curve are set seperately so you can have whatever pitch / throttle combination you like.

The slickest setup is to go brushless and use a controller that has a govenor function that will maintain the rotor rpm at any speed you set regardless of load.
Jun 03, 2002, 10:31 PM
Invalid user
Heh, I missed the single channel comment..

BTW: The Piccolo CP upgrade is non-CCPM. Most other helis are CCPM. Your radio will work for a CP Piccolo, I didn't check to see if it had swash setup (90/120/18-degree) in the manual.. If it does, you are set to go for just about anything...
Jun 03, 2002, 10:36 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
The RX on the picco board can be removed easy. Just cut it loose and put on a new RX like the GWS or a new micro Berg.

The included RX is a Berg (it was on mine). It can be modified to neg pulse easily, but you must be able to solder very well. If you want to do it email me and I will walk you through it.

You also just missed a EP heli funfly and clinic on sunday. There are a few of us in the area so keep an eye on the BB.
Jun 04, 2002, 12:11 PM
Invalid user
Fred,

You have a Piccolo too? Is there a model you don't have? I'd like to see a picture of your fleet... If you can fit them in one picture
Jun 04, 2002, 12:16 PM
Thread OP
Great guys, great answers!

pwkpete and stup:

Both of your info on CP throttle and pitch mixing makes senses. I learned something again.

I don't think my Futaba 7UAFS supports CCPM. It does have a lot of Heli functions that I don't know what they are yet . However, it's good to know my Tx would work with Piccolo CP upgrade that does not need CCPM.

Fred:

Actually I also went to the FunFly on Sunday for a little bit in the beginning just to watch. I also watched once there two months ago and it was great. I'm sure I will meet you in a future FunFly there.

When (and if) I get the JR Piccolo board, I'll definitely need your instructions to modify it to negative pulse or connect to an external Rx. Soldering is not a problem for me.
Jun 13, 2002, 06:05 PM
Thread OP
Got the PiccoBoard with a built-in JR receiver.
Now, how to reconfigure the receiver to work with
Futaba/Hitec transmitter (negative-shift)?
Jun 14, 2002, 12:51 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
Sent you an Email ref your PM.

But for others there is a 3 pin setup on the berg that will have a jumper between 2 of the pins. To change shifts, you just swap the solder joint.
Jun 14, 2002, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by VictorC
I don't think my Futaba 7UAFS supports CCPM.
Check the FAQ's on the Futaba website. My old 8UAF doesn't support CCPM either but they posted a workaround using two free mixers.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/

God luck,
Eric

Quick Reply