Sep 09, 2012, 03:37 PM
Hi All,
I came across this last week and straight away it went onto the build list (an EPP fun flyer kit nearlly finished and a depron JAP 39, getting there, came first).
I first built an autogiro about 1990 (I think), it was a plan in one of the UK mags for a twin rotor like this one for an I/C engine. Never got it to fly for more that 10 - 20 seconds due to using wire for the rotor mounts which was far too thin. Caused 'dutch rolling' which could not be recovered from much to the amusment of the other club members!!
I then came across the Dave Boddington kit and discovered the joys of autogyro flight, flew the hell out of it for 10 years, even converted it for night flight and won a trophy!! 2 Circles cut out of PCB and slot car brushes providing the contacts for the 2 bulbs in each rotor, great fun!! I gave up flying about 10 years ago (started again 3 years ago) and sold the model (still flying) to one of our young club members (around 20 quid including motor, sevos and reciever, the lad was still at school) but he has moved away so I don't know if she is still flying.
Anyway, this one will be built as soon as time permits.
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
to remove ads between posts
Jun 20, 2013, 04:16 AM
anil619
hi guys i am an extreme beginner to the world of rc and kinda amateur
to start in this world i want to build an rc autogyro
based on what i have read and heard i decided to go with twirl twin rotor rc autogyro
but the thing is i cant figure out they fixed the rotors to wing
i mean they have to rotate freely but must have a fixed angle of attack
and also i wanna know what dihedral angle is preferred with varying sizes
Jul 21, 2013, 04:27 AM
jclassic1
It has been a couple of years since I last had a Twirl flying so this is my 120% profile version with cruciform fuse and split elevator for elvon control.
I have had to use a 1000mah batt instead of my 800mah 3 cell as the smaller one is being used elsewhere.
AUW with lipo is 12ozs so still not bad for a larger version of the Twirl.
I am getting some tail twist so I might build another with the full narrow fuse that I used on my last Twirl.
All 6mm depron except for the rotors which are 3mm +1.5mm carbon spars.
Still have the beads to fit to the rotors and then a maiden if the weather is right.

John
Jul 26, 2013, 04:32 AM
jclassic1
I got to give the big Twirl a try out today and it flew very well.The elvon control works but quite honestly I don,t think it makes the Twirl any better than the RET version.Now I am building a new Twirl as per the plans with no mods at all as I don,t think I can improve on the original design.

John
Jul 26, 2013, 11:41 AM
jclassic1
Finished the standard Twirl build.
AUW=6.5ozs
Jan 19, 2014, 02:56 AM
Hi All,
Here is my Twin Twirl-F.
Stock rotors and winglet, following the Flite Test build w/hot glue and Dollar Tree foam board. Paper left on winglet and rotor blades top and bottom. No carbon or spars. Spiderwire guy wire only per plans.
Fusalage is my first plane from 2001, GWS Stick-F, motor GWS 2212/13, 10x4.7, 3c750, AUW 11oz.,
Flys great, ROG in 3 feet, unlimited vert., loops med. to large, turns sharply, high alpha hovers in slow breeze, lands on tail wheel first.
I love it.
Good Flying,
John
Oct 23, 2017, 12:08 PM
jclassic1
It,s been 4 years since I last built one of these but they hold fond memories of a easy relaxing flyer so I have decided to build another.
My last Twirls were all made with 6mm depron but this time I have gone with 3mm Hobbyking foam which seems very much like depron but a touch softer.
My plan printed out at 95mm instead of 100mm on the scale so this one is a little bit smaller than the original.
I have fitted an 18 gram DYS BE1806 2300Kv motor which will give me 13Ozs of thrust on 3 cells and 5x3 prop.

Still work to do but it should be done for next Saturday .
If the weather improves I may get to try it out.
Oct 28, 2017, 12:09 PM
jclassic1
decided to build a full fuse version to cut down on the tail twist of the profile model
Aug 09, 2019, 03:21 AM
Hello,

One vido of my TWIRL.

A very pleasant model to build and fly.

Rotors are mounted on ball bearings for a good rotation.

Thank's to Al Foot for this model.

Have a nice flight for all the modellers with Twirl.

Philippe

TWIRL (2 min 11 sec)
Aug 10, 2019, 12:51 AM
Now, that looks like a lot of fun.............
Chris...
Aug 10, 2019, 02:56 AM
Flying Models Plans
Al's Twirl is a delight. I've been thinking of bringing my profile version to NEAT this year again.

Quick Reply