Dec 06, 2005, 01:03 AM
Thread OP

Looking for standard j-1 documentation...

I am working on the Dumas kit of this airplane and I really want to do something out of the ordinary, but still scale. The cream colored schemes are not what I'm looking for. I was thinking maybe something like this pictured standard but cannot find any further documentation. I'd be happy with just knowing whats on the top wing and if the plane is indeed black, maybe red. Thanks in advance for any help, I hope someone out there has what i'm looking for.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 26, 2006, 05:40 PM

Hang in there!

I just purchased a book on the Ivan Gates Flying Circus, haven't received it yet but when I do I will, hopefully, be able to advise you. The Time Life book on Barnstorming states that as part of a deal with Texaco, the Gates Flying Circus painted their planes red and had Texaco on them. So the photo you posted could be one of those a/c. Will get back to you after I get the book.
Dave
Apr 26, 2006, 06:25 PM
Turrets Syndrome?
Here's a red one (I think it's a J1)
Apr 26, 2006, 07:18 PM
The 1975 movie, "The Great Waldo Pepper" starring Robert Redford used the Standard J1 in its barnstorming era scenes. Some of their color schemes and markings would made an interesting model
Apr 26, 2006, 09:11 PM
There are some photos on this URL. Dark upper surfaces and CDL sides and undersides
http://home.att.net/~dblawren/flying.html

HTH
sp
May 04, 2006, 09:44 AM

Gates Flying Circus Standards

Hi,
In the book "Baling Wire, Chewing Gum and Guts, The Story of the Gates Flying Circus", reference is made to the Standards used by them as being painted 'flaming red' and green. Where the green was used, it does not say. As stated in my previous post, the circus advertised for Texaco in return for fuel and lubricants. In some instances, "TEXACO" was along the fuselage, in others the Texaco star was on the fuselage. One photo shows the word TEXACO on the bottom of the lower wings, 'TEX' on on wing, with 'ACO' on the other. this a/c also had the Texaco star on the bottom of the upper wing, both right and left, at the extreme outer end of the wing, and also on the fuselage. The photo is not sharp enough to see if there were any markings on the tail feathers.

Dave
May 05, 2006, 10:50 AM
Thread OP
Thanks guys. I finished awhile ago, i did it in black as you see it with only the texaco logo on the top left wing as well as everything visible in the photo i posted. It was all pull-pull with the ailerons slaved to the rudder. flew okay, but not great. it seemed a little underpowered on LPS with 7x6 prop and 2s145 lipo. Lipo had to be topped off to get it to fly. when it crashed and broke the leading lower wing spar and shifted the whole wing back a bit, i wasn't in a big hurry to fix it. i just bought a guillows fairchild to play with the equipment. Total weight of the dumas was 3.8oz or so with coverrite coverlite black, spring mounted tail skid, spoked wheels from hobby-lobby and 2 3.6gm servos

Quick Reply