Dec 04, 2005, 01:37 PM
Im flying... don't talk!
Thread OP

Thunder Tiger FM-1e Power question

Hey guys. I have a few question on motor choice and esc and battery.

What gear ratio do i want to stay in range for this bike? max and min.

I have an AON 2815 brushless motor (speed400) and a castle creation 35 amps esc.. will this work? The motor is a 3000kv.... What is the kv of the stock motor for this bike and so on with the module for the pinion.. is it 32pitch?

I was thinking High Voltage, because im a heli guy and i don;'t like to run on low voltage...

At least 3s - 4s lithium.

, you guys think it possible?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2005, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by helisfreak

I have an AON 2815 brushless motor (speed400) and a castle creation 35 amps esc.. will this work? The motor is a 3000kv.... What is the kv of the stock motor for this bike and so on with the module for the pinion.. is it 32pitch?

I was thinking High Voltage, because im a heli guy and i don;'t like to run on low voltage...

Think you're on your own with this setup. Most people use Hacker/Novak/Mtroniks brushless motors of 5-6000kv with 7.2v NiMh's.
Lipos are starting to be used now but only 2s 7.4v.

Stock gears on FM1E aren't 32 dp, could be 48dp but not certain
Dec 04, 2005, 04:02 PM
mp-
mp-
Quote:
Originally Posted by helisfreak

Anything is possible! A BL speed 400 running 3s or 4s should have plenty of tractable power. However, a 35 amp controller not specifically designed for cars (motorcycles) may not survive the startup spike. You can ask Castle about the application of your speed control. At the moment there aren't many sensorless brushless speed controls designed for wheeled models, but I have a feeling that will gradually change. Can't help with the gear pitch.

mp-
Dec 04, 2005, 04:08 PM
No Shelf Queens.No Bling
IIRC the standard gears are 34 DP.

Easy way to find out....count the number of teeth and add 2,divide that number by the diameter of the gear.

Allan
Dec 04, 2005, 04:40 PM
mp-
mp-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Waterfall
IIRC the standard gears are 34 DP.

Easy way to find out....count the number of teeth and add 2,divide that number by the diameter of the gear.

Allan
Found my gear reference book...

Allan's method will work for non-metric gears. If the gear is metric (m, mod), you'll want to divide the OD by the number of teeth plus 2.

m = OD / (number of teeth + 2)

Common non-metric DP include 20, 24, 1/10, 32, 48, 64 etc...

Common metric mod include .4, .5, .6, .8, 1, 1.25, 1.5 etc...

If your measurements and calculations don't yeild a common number, then you're probably doing something wrong

Let us know what you find out.

mp-
Last edited by mp-; Dec 04, 2005 at 04:45 PM.
Dec 04, 2005, 04:47 PM
No Shelf Queens.No Bling
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp-
Found my gear reference book...

Allan's method will work for non-metric gears. If the gear is metric (m, mod), you'll want to divide the OD by the number of teeth plus 2.

m = OD / (number of teeth + 2)

Let us know what you find out.

mp-
Patrick,

I'm real glad you posted that info,I'd been wondering about metric pitches.My Bergo gears work out about 26 DP in English which made me think they're probably metric pitch.

I'll have another measure tomorrow.It's now written in my little book.

Allan
Dec 04, 2005, 05:09 PM
mp-
mp-
Allan,

Funny thing is that you can mix DP and mod gears- not a great idea, but you can do it. I heard a couple of bikes at a recent race that must have had mixed gears because they had a gear whine that sounded like a turbine about to blow!

mp-
Dec 04, 2005, 05:22 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
my TT FM-1e was 32 pitch...(converted to 48 pitch now)... but I think that's the difference between the euro bikes (NF)and the USDM bikes (TT)

and fo a motor I'm just running a Novak SS5800... but I heard that the new Mamba Maxx is going to be a monster...
Dec 04, 2005, 08:16 PM
The 2815 may be a little small. I would rather see at least a 20mm rotor like the Hackers and Feigaos in the diameter. The Phx-35 will not work well. Mtroniks Genesis Pro can be had for $160.......or $200 special for a combo with 380C-8T motor. This seems to be the most popular 2S wind for the bikes. If you want to run higher voltage, try the 13T on 4S.
Dec 04, 2005, 11:48 PM
Im flying... don't talk!
Thread OP
First thanks for all the replies guys.

I don't think the KV of the motor matter, that can be change by gear ratio or voltage of the battery... like if it a 3000kv... running on 7.2 volt.. i can run a 3s lithium which is 11.1 volt and gain all that kv back in a spit second.. and gain more efficiently and power.

Now, the esc I agree... might not be the best choice... how about the kontronik jazz 40-6-18... i think they have a function for car racing. This is the best esc for my helicopter. handle up to 6s with 2amp bec... This might work super well, best know for soft start... not sure about wheel though.

The aon 2815 is small? are you serious.. it a speed 400 BRUSHLESS size... i thought brushed motor on NIMH are like half the time/power wise. speed 400 brushless and lithium should make this thing move pretty fast imo... (but still im not sure, that why im asking) The AON is 28mm wide and i do believe is 34mm long?

Dec 05, 2005, 12:17 AM
STeve B in NC
Most folks on this forum are running 500 size, 7 or 8 turn brushless motors in their electric bikes. Hackers, Plettenbergs, Fiegao's etc. I think maybe a few of the Euro guys may still be running brushed motors, but brushed cans have gone by the wayside long ago with bikes.

A growing number are using lipos also, but because of the rules governing bike racing (at least following the UK rules) battery voltage is limited to 7.4.

Besides the heli and plane guys, we are the next cutting-edge group!
Dec 05, 2005, 12:38 AM
STeve B in NC
One other thing, in general, more power and lighter weight is better, but only up to a point. The bikes tend to handle better with a bit of mass (like from a low-slung Nimh pack). You can definitely put too much motor in a too light bike. You will have a rocket for sure, but it will not handle as well. I have tried this, and the results reminded me of driving a toy. The acceleration and braking were way to fast to be realistic. The bike was also too light for the tires to keep a decent grip in the turns.

So whatever motor you end up with, make it one that allows you to enjoy driving the thing.

my 0.02
Dec 05, 2005, 07:59 PM
I have tried the Jazz car software before. It is terrible. Hard to beat the waterproof Mtroniks Genesis controllers. They will even run the 4-pole Plettenberg motors. 34mm is a little on the short side to make some good torque. It may run okay, but most of these guys run a little longer rotor. The C40 and 380C motors are 400 sized but with longer rotors and finned cans that include the 25mm bolt pattern. They put out 500W+, so they are definitely stronger than the typical 540 brushed car motor.
Dec 07, 2005, 12:12 PM
Im flying... don't talk!
Thread OP
thanks for all the help guys.

I should have the bike by this weekend... I will give it a try and see how it go.

So how do you suppose to control one? i heard that it pretty tricky, I can inverted a heli... it got to be funny if i can't control a bike....
Dec 07, 2005, 01:08 PM
STeve B in NC
Since you fly, you have a leg up already on driving the bikes. Speed, braking, and throttle control are really the key to driving the bikes well. Much more than steering.

Quick Reply