Dec 02, 2005, 01:34 PM
No Plane - No Gain
Thread OP

LEG 1-D Build Thread

I've been poking around a bit and have not yet found a build thread for the 1-D.

Just the other day I received my 1-D and a P-51B. I figured I'd do the 1-D first and although I haven't started yet, I wanted to start a thread for tracking the build and exchanging ideas and opinions. Perhaps tonight I can get the first couple of steps accomplished.

Any one else getting started on a new 1-D?

--
TomO
to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2005, 02:01 PM
Where's the wind?
I got one to build as well. Nat Ledbetter is building his right now.

Andrew
Dec 02, 2005, 03:08 PM
Diggin the Foam
No my stuff has not shown up
Dec 02, 2005, 03:52 PM
part of the problem
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ight=leg+build

gotta go
Dec 02, 2005, 04:34 PM
No Plane - No Gain
Thread OP
Thanks! I can't wait to get started.
Dec 02, 2005, 04:57 PM
ALL IN !
Here is a very good one also

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254641
Dec 02, 2005, 06:18 PM
Insert custom witicism
Hey Thanks Louied, I had no idea where I'd left that thread! TomO, feel free to ask any questions, I still have my OneD, still fly the hell out of it and it's still a lot of fun.

My 2 pieces of advice for the whole thing would be to stiffen the wing suitably and ensure you make provisions for ballast. My OneD will fly in LIGHT lift, but I never made any arrangements for ballast. When I tape ballast on for big wind days, the wing flexes a little bit.

I believe Jack made a change or two for those that want to attempt to DS with their OneD, but you'd have to drop him a note, I'm not sure how he did it.

Once again, have fun with the build, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Jeff
Dec 02, 2005, 06:56 PM
Where's the wind?
I was thinking of adding some ribbon carbon similar to the Crossover spar. If flex is and issue, this should help some or is that against the One Design race rules. I will have to read them over before I start I guess.

Andrew
Dec 03, 2005, 08:37 AM
No Plane - No Gain
Thread OP
Getting started. I got the wings out of their beds and sure enough, there are plenty of the dreaded stringies. Most have been removed by 'sanding' with a piece of scrap foam. I slid the spar into the slot for stiffness while beveling the root edges.

A slow start, but progress none-the-less.
Dec 03, 2005, 11:05 AM
Suspended Account
watching this one...
Dec 04, 2005, 09:37 AM
No Plane - No Gain
Thread OP
One of the first steps is to joint the wing halves. I used the spar doubler slipped into the slot to try and maintain the correct angle.
Dec 04, 2005, 09:40 AM
No Plane - No Gain
Thread OP
The main spar needs to be glued together. Did you know that if you do it backwards you can make a flat wing with no dihedral? Fortunately, I didnt apply the glue until it was correct!
Dec 04, 2005, 09:42 AM
No Plane - No Gain
Thread OP
Nothing like glue drying time to start the sanding/shaping of the fuse. I really don't yet know what my goal shape is, but I think more round than square will be better in the long run.
Dec 04, 2005, 11:04 AM
No Plane - No Gain
Thread OP
Uh Oh. First problem, guess I should've checked before gluing.
The main spar came out wrong. One side is 3.5" shorter than the wing and the other is 2.5" longer than its wing half.
Did I glue the wrong parts together (I still have the spar doubler, so I didn't make that mistake)
The ends of the scarf joint meet at the center of the spar top and bottom, which looks just like the picture in the manual.
I suppose I could just scab the extra length from the long end onto the end of the short end. How much strength do I really need that far out on the wing?

Edit:
Just figured it out. My fault!
What I did was reverse the position of the short spar with the long spar. I can cut along the scarf joint with a bandsaw, or move 3" of spar from one end to the other. Hard to believe I screwed up like that right at the get-go. Maybe it will be my only mistake.
Yeah, Right!
Last edited by TomO; Dec 04, 2005 at 11:14 AM.
Dec 04, 2005, 12:17 PM
No Plane - No Gain
Thread OP
Fixed. I decided to use the bandsaw to cut along the original glue-line, reverse the pieces and reglue. Now the center is in the correct location and I have a good 3" of surface adhesion.
It pays to pay attention before gluing parts together!

Quick Reply