Old May 30, 2002, 01:08 PM
Find More Posts by coastalflyer
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat

Build Your Own Defense Budget

I found an interesting site on "building your own defense budget". It asks 10 questions and offers 3 choices for each question, then calculates your personal "defense budget".
I found it interesting. Try it out and report your findings - it only takes a few minutes.
http://www.nyu.edu/globalbeat/defensebudget/

Mine was 258 billion, a decrease of 38 billion over todays budget. I purposely chose to decrese spending, just as an exercise. I'm not sure I'd advocate that in "real world" conditions.
Old May 30, 2002, 01:20 PM
Find More Posts by logan5
Mine was 285 mill. I went for reducing our overseas commitment and nuclear forces, while stepping up modernization of equipment.

logan5
Old May 30, 2002, 01:25 PM
Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
God is good
$297.5 billion for me. Get out your checkbooks

VP
Old May 30, 2002, 04:06 PM
Find More Posts by SchiessCo
305.5B for me.

Must be a liberal warmonger.
Old May 30, 2002, 08:38 PM
Find More Posts by petn7
mine was $280 billion; spend more $ on technology and Ops and less on large troop commitments
Old May 31, 2002, 08:31 AM
Find More Posts by bigbear
ORF
Unfortunately, the exercise has been pretty well rendered moot by the War on Terrorism. In the days following 9/11, in our little burg in NW Florida, deputy sheriffs were guarding small power substations around the clock, and the podunk airport had (& still has) a vehicle check point prior to the terminal where trunks, gloveboxs & consoles are checked for ???. You can be sure the federal government will end up paying for all this through the "programs" put in place.
In the national defense picture, 9/11 has changed everything. When anyone raises a voice to proceed carefully, they will be accused of being "soft on terrorism". The Chiefs of Staff are probably ecstatic about future defense funding.
I spent 22 years in the military & saw many instances of underfunding (and overfunding, as well). It was frequently a problem of misallocation of funds, rather than underfunding.
Anyway, although my results of this exercise came out saving a little money, it's invalid after the events of 9/11.
Cheers,
BB
Old Jun 02, 2002, 04:12 AM
Find More Posts by bryn Bithell
For the toggle switches
298 bill.
i think i am a bit of a warmonger too!!

Brig on the b-52's