Dec 01, 2005, 06:24 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Thread OP
Cool

Firebird Freedom - Anyone flown one?

Firebird Freedom
http://www.hobbyzonesports.com/Produ...Z7000#Articles

Love to hear reports. If the plane is as good as it looks, it could replace the Aerobird Challenger on my recommended list of first planes. This plane incorporates anti-crash technology that can actually pull the plane out of a bad situation.

Looking for actual reports from people who have actually flown the plane.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2005, 07:49 AM
wing dragon/typhoon 3d
my little brother is getting one for christmas (but I got see inside the box)

my first impressions were that this thing is built solid! the wings are very stiff
and look like they can take alot of damage. the tail and body look pretty damage resistant too. So far it looks like a very good trainer but we'll just have to wait until fly it
Dec 01, 2005, 08:55 AM
Fly,Crash,Repair..Repeat!
I haven`t actually flown it but i have seen it flown just yesterday. It`s a nice plane with plenty of power. It`s rather agile too. It will turn on a dime. As far a durability goes i don`t think its any more durable than the Challenger. My friend has went through one wing and two tails in about 5 flights but he is a total newbie. Haven`t seen what ATC can do yet. It does work though. He was holding the plane with ATC on and when he would pitch the plane up and down you could see the tail move the elevator and rudder to correct it. All in all it a great plane but IMHO the Challenger would make a better beginner plane. I could be biased though.

Ultralight
Dec 01, 2005, 01:15 PM
HELP!!! I'VE BEEN CAUGHT !

Mah

I pre-purchased one back on Sept. 21st. It arrived Tuesday Nov. 29th. Box looks good,Plane looks durable, My only concern is the extra batteries I purchased with the plane from the manifacturer
are not the same Mah rating. Will this make a major difference in it's performance or flight time?
The plane arrived with a (HBZ 1013) 8.4V 1000Mah. The extra batteries are also (HBZ 1013) 8.4V but are rated at 900Mah.
I do not want to be petty, but is this difference big enough to effect the performance of my NEW plane.
In general it looks like a really fun plane and I like the STEEL push rods.
Dec 01, 2005, 01:25 PM
Fly,Crash,Repair..Repeat!
I would get these:

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=850

I bought two of them to fly in my Challenger and they are great. My friend uses them in his Freedom and has no complaints.

Ultralight
Dec 01, 2005, 01:32 PM
Balsa is for doll houses
Anti-Crash Technology relies on feedback from the sensor on the bottom of the plane to tell the software in the receiver the plane's orientation in relation to the ground.
?????
I gotta check this out!
Dec 01, 2005, 03:27 PM
Thread OP
Actually it has two sensors. One high and one low.
Dec 01, 2005, 04:50 PM
wing dragon/typhoon 3d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralight
I would get these:

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=850

I bought two of them to fly in my Challenger and they are great. My friend uses them in his Freedom and has no complaints.

Ultralight
I also bought 2 of those for my wing dragon and i usually get 30-40 minute
flight times
Dec 01, 2005, 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckie62
I pre-purchased one back on Sept. 21st. It arrived Tuesday Nov. 29th. Box looks good,Plane looks durable, My only concern is the extra batteries I purchased with the plane from the manifacturer
are not the same Mah rating. Will this make a major difference in it's performance or flight time?
The plane arrived with a (HBZ 1013) 8.4V 1000Mah. The extra batteries are also (HBZ 1013) 8.4V but are rated at 900Mah.
I do not want to be petty, but is this difference big enough to effect the performance of my NEW plane.
In general it looks like a really fun plane and I like the STEEL push rods.
Duckie,
Do not worry. All the 1013 batteries we have been shipping for more than a year are really 1000+ mAH. We just have been underrating them because it is very difficult to change all the packaging and marketing materials, and computer descriptions in a fairly large company.
Rest assured that all of the 1013 batteries will offer you excellent performance.

We did not want to change the item # and cause confusion for our customers, so we just improved the battery a long time ago. We are just now taking credit for it.

Sorry for any inconvenience.
David
HBZ, PKZ, EFL
Feb 11, 2006, 10:41 AM
I am getting a firebird freedom. do you have any flight reports on it?
Feb 11, 2006, 11:13 AM
I flew my neighbors Freedom for him. It seemed just a bit tail heavy initially and wanted to stall left or right on launch. I checked the CG and it was in the center of the wing chord. Added just a touch of weight to the nose and it flew great. All in all, I would say its a great first or second plane. Im sure you will enjoy it. He and his son now have two and fly them regularly.

Next step up in my opinion, in the firebird line anyway, would be the Xtreme. Flew one of my buddies for him, flew great. lots of control authority and lots of power. It seems like a heavy plane, but dosnt fly so much like a heavy plane.
Mar 16, 2006, 08:02 PM
The cake is a lie
I own a freedom, and have expierenced the stalling. I am a total newbie though, so take this all with more than a grain of salt. The best feature of this plane is the durability. I have had more crashes than landings in all 15 of my flights, and the only thing I broke was a tail. I have some trouble gaining altitude and flying level, it always seems to pull one way or another, stalling and falling. The ACT I don't think is so great. I've had decent altitude(250' +) when I stalled and the ACT didn't even come close to recovery. Flying low with the ACT on is a deathwish; even under controlled flight it sometimes takes control away. The only controlled flight I've had was without the ACT on. But, like I said, I'm a terrible pilot at the moment, so a lot of this could be my fault. Seems like a heck of a bird for a first plane.
Mar 16, 2006, 10:34 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Is it true the aerobird challenger is no longer being made?.. I bought one of these for my wife and she LOVED it.. As a complete noobie, she did very well with it and it really took a beating.(so did she, with me yelling at her all the time) Unfortunately the plane was lost in the jungle when she caught a hat sucking thermal and it simply disappeared. I then got her the aerobird extreme.. She can't hand launch that herself and ROG takeoffs are dicey at best. Not only that, the extreme is heavy and won't tolerate crashing very well (ask me how I know, I get to "fix" her mistakes).. The anti crash firebird is only two channels right?... Dang, bring back the 3 channel orange aerobird!..
Mar 17, 2006, 12:38 AM
Thread OP
The Aerobird Challenger has been reintroduced at a lower price, $109 rather than $149. It appers to be the same plane and the same package. Even a better buy now.

I am not hearing good things about this Firebird Freedom. Unfortunate. I have yet to touch one.

The Xtreme is much heavier, faster and as such I don't typically recommend it for new flyers. It does have the advantage of handling wind better.
Mar 17, 2006, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
The Aerobird Challenger has been reintroduced at a lower price, $109 rather than $149. It appers to be the same plane and the same package. Even a better buy now.

I am not hearing good things about this Firebird Freedom. Unfortunate. I have yet to touch one.

The Xtreme is much heavier, faster and as such I don't typically recommend it for new flyers. It does have the advantage of handling wind better.

Not sure if this is the right place but......"aeajr"........You have been pretty much right on....You got me away from the "Challenger" and those type's of RTF "V tail" stick planes ( hey, wait...Not a "V" tail but a SS with an outrunner and 3-cell is cool ) A long time ago ....6-8 months you helped me make some good plane decisioins, along with a friend here locally. Now I watch an "Ultrafly Cessna 182" cruise around the dessert here in AZ rather than a stick plane........Way to much fun........Thank You!

Quick Reply