Dec 05, 2005, 10:40 PM
Dragon Slayer
UMI:
I've not been introduced to most of the clubs in the area, as I keep with the sport, I will some day know them all.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 06, 2005, 05:03 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGinCanada
Umi:

Fantastic how-to! When will we get to see the finished parts installed on the fireboat?

Ray

What!?! I have to work on my boats TOO!?!
I think you guys ask too much of me.

Ropanach,
Jerry was one of the guys looking at your boat and discussing fittings when I was in Bellevue last Spring.
Dec 07, 2005, 07:06 AM
Dragon Slayer
1. YES you need to work on your boats too, how else can we see all the neat things you do, we injoy looking in from time to time just to see what you,ve come up with, witch is a good thing.

2. Yes I do remember witch is a good thing at my age, I plan on joinning the club in the spring even though it's a 2 hour drive one way, that club seams to have a lot to offer.
Dec 07, 2005, 12:38 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Thread OP
Sorry, I didn't realize you were so far from Lynnwood/Bellevue/Lake Union.
Of course I used to think nothing of driving up to Seattle for the day.
Now, especially with traffic(and state patrols) the drive is a lot longer and slower.
Dec 07, 2005, 01:02 PM
Umi,
"I think you guys ask too much of me."
Well...SURE! I mean, I set ~my own~ low standards. With the way I tend to do things, it's easy. I'm looking for standards I can try for (and naturally, so that I can cuss for being 'too' high!). Besides, it's what we've come to expect from you. See, it's your own fault!
- 'Doc
Aug 07, 2007, 08:29 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Another comment-
The photoresist can be easily applied by using a film which is fused onto the brass sheet and then exposed through artwork (negative or even photocopy on clear sheet).

In the old days, you could try applying liquid or spray resist- very temperamental and difficult. Best is the film which can run through a laminator to fuse onto the metal... used to be you had to order a 50 yard roll of the stuff! But now you can get small sheets from Micromark.

I haven't done that yet... but I've etched circuit boards which came with the film preapplied- worked pretty well, even with photocopy on clear sheet (which isn't very optically dense!)

Pat M
Aug 08, 2007, 12:13 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
I'm kinda wondering why some of this can't be done with a basic silk-screening kit...

They are very cheap and fine screen and do extremely sharp details.
Aug 08, 2007, 02:26 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Hendricks
I'm kinda wondering why some of this can't be done with a basic silk-screening kit...

They are very cheap and fine screen and do extremely sharp details.
Anything that protects the brass or copper from the acid can be used.
I have seen rub on decals at electronic stores, so that people can just place a dot, or a line or what ever on the etch side of their circuit boards.

I used a sharpie marker on both sides of some thin brass when I originally etched a mast bracket for my old Italian Cruiser.
Aug 09, 2007, 11:40 PM
I have been having a company coat my Brass shim stock that I send them with UV light coating on both sides, I then make negs by running clear film thru my laser printer I tape the 2 negs & brass together sandwiched between the 2 negs and expose both sides to the Light with a piece of thick glass on top to keep it flat. The Sun will also work to expose, but UV lamp is faster) and about 14 min later (about 7 Min. Each Side) I have a plate, I then wash of the non hardened areas of the exposed plate with a Sodium Bicarbonate Mixture, Dry the Plate and I'm ready for the Machine. it Works great! Plates are done in About 15-20 Min., Depending on the Feric Soloution Stregnth.
Jcopter
Last edited by Jcopter; Aug 09, 2007 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Add info
Aug 10, 2007, 06:44 AM
Mmm, tugs...
Jcopter- who do you use for the laminating?

PM
Aug 11, 2007, 12:06 AM
Kepro Circuit Systems But I think the were sold reciently I think the name is now D & L Products in St. Louis MO, But Im not sure Last time I had Brass coated I had quite a lot done and have not had to have any more coated The process was called DFR, Dry Film Resist and they would clean and coat my shim stock
Jcopter

Quick Reply