Nov 30, 2005, 08:45 PM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Thread OP

How do you know when you are going out of range?

I just ordered some (IMO) expensive gear for my Slow Sick and I got to thinking that I ought to consider upgrading my Rx too.

I have the pretty bare-bones JR compatible GWS Transmitter and the basic GWS 6 channel Rx. So far it has worked very well with only minor glitching...

I like to fly high and when you are up there its hard to hear the motor. What happens as you approach the end of your range? Could the throttle stick on?

How high should one be able to fly with this setup? I know some people aren't big fans of this reciever..

Is there a good/reasonably cheap Rx that would significantly improve the range of my Tx? My budget is pretty tight at the moment so I am hoping to find something $40 or less

Are crystals standard or will I have to throw in a new one of those too?

Any information would be apreciated!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2005, 08:58 PM
Seeing the Farside.
Lol, Smoke... sorry man, both your Tx and Rx have found to be weaker in both transmitting and recieving departments compared to the "average" components. (For the optimists, you can decide what "average" means).

I, like others, read on here daily... and tests figures have been done on that GWS Tx, forgive the lack of facts and details but I remember that the Tx you have had somewhere on the order of 3 to 4 times weaker transmitting power than the average Futaba/Jr Radio. Do a search... or I'm sure someone else will comment. But this Tx information was from actual figures...

As for the Rx, I don't think I need to start in on it... because if both are flawed... YOU yourself have to make the decision where to start upgrading.

Personally, see if anyone has a cheap/reliable Jr 4-channel radio that you could buy for somewhere around 35-45 bucks. The Rx directly relates to range of course, but IMO your Tx will make you suffer in range more than your Rx.

Besides, you said the glitching is minor... so go for that added "oomph" on range with raw transmitting power. Because your fears are somewhat true... some planes will keep going if signal is lost. But it depends on your internal parts (ESC/Rx).

Hope this helps.. or at least gets your thread started.

-Chris

EDIT: Oh, if you get a new Tx for that price... don't try to switch the channel on it... use the stock freq that came with that radio.

Buy a new matching xtal for the Rx.
Last edited by Blaze.45; Nov 30, 2005 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Answered xtal question
Nov 30, 2005, 09:05 PM
Thread OP
Heh.. well, the price was right. Thanks for the info.

Can you seriously get a Tx in the $35-$45 range that would be better? Or am I misreading that?

I have been looking around and I found this:

http://www.fmadirect.com/Detail.htm?item=2056&section=1

Would it help?
Nov 30, 2005, 11:57 PM
Seeing the Farside.
There are quite a few RCG'ers who like these FMA Rx's. I don't know anything about them so it wouldn't be right for me to advise you too much on them.

The only thing I will say about it is that Dual Conversion will help tremendously against interference spikes and glitches. Not on range though.

-----------------

Oh, and yes you can really get a much more powerful/reliable transmitter for around that much.

Check this Futaba Skysport4 out. A guy where I fly uses one of these and he flys a GWS ME109 perfectly. I wouldn't be surprised if this seller IS the guy I'm talking about since he lives close to me.

Or

Check this JR Quattro 4 channel Tx out. This is another widely used starter radio. I've heard some good things about this one too. Though I don't have any observations or experience on this radio.

-----------------

Just remember, any way you go... plz do your homework on the product in question BEFORE you act.

Ask questions, actively search... shop and compare. Visit manufacturer sites. Never take anyone's word on "the best Tx" for face value... even mine. This piece of equipment is going to CONTROL every plane/helo you have... thus making it the centerstone of your hobby.

Besides... peace of mind can only truly come from your own knowledge.

If there is one thing I've learned about Tx's so far, it's that a hasty buy on a Tx is one of the worst moves you can make in RC.

Research, Google, Find reviews both by consumers and businesses.

I think you will be happy with either of these choices. And make sure you pick the right SHIFT for your reciever. And make sure you pick FM not AM.

JR = Positive shift.........Futaba = Negative shift.

Hope this helps

-Chris
Last edited by Blaze.45; Dec 01, 2005 at 12:04 AM.
Dec 01, 2005, 01:21 AM
I need a bigger garage...
Once you figure out what you are looking for, check out eBay to see if anyone has it for sale. I picked up a new Futaba Skysport T4YF without the receiver and servos (the guy had a bunch of them for sale and was selling the pieces separately). It only cost me about $30 vs about $120 for the full package. This was a good deal since I didn't want the receiver or servos that came with it anyway.

You can also find some good deals on used equipment also.

Just remember that eBay is buyer-beware.

Andy
Dec 01, 2005, 03:03 PM
You won't have to worry about the range on the FMA recievers, they are very good and can even be used in the big 1/4 scale planes with no worry.
Dec 01, 2005, 10:58 PM
Veracitarian at large
The FMA receivers are great. You'll see little or no glitching and the range is probably a mile or so, at least a lot farther than I can see any of my planes. And I have the older model. They're a tiny bit bigger than some, but they're the best deal currently going IMHO. Highly recommended.
Dec 02, 2005, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAILORMAN
The FMA receivers are great. You'll see little or no glitching and the range is probably a mile or so, at least a lot farther than I can see any of my planes. And I have the older model. They're a tiny bit bigger than some, but they're the best deal currently going IMHO. Highly recommended.
This is what I want to hear!

Any second opinion on how this rx would would with my lowly GWS tx?
Dec 02, 2005, 09:37 AM
I fly for Beer
I had a gws dreamstarter tx, and I noticed the range was considerably shorter on it than when I bought my Hitec tx, and used the same plane/receiver etc.
J
Dec 02, 2005, 10:27 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX
This is what I want to hear!

Any second opinion on how this rx would would with my lowly GWS tx?

Ha! You got suckered in too, eh? I really havent seen any probs with mine yet but I doubt I have flown over 600' yet...
Dec 02, 2005, 10:39 AM
I'm dangerously carefree
I have a gws tx, cheap as heck, and besides, I never fly more than about 800' away anyway. If I get too much farther, my little parkflyers look like specks.
Dec 02, 2005, 11:33 AM
Seeing the Farside.
Yeah, again I highly recommend changing out your Tx before your Rx.

The GWS Tx's are a good first starter... but shaky as you start expecting more out of your equipment.
Dec 02, 2005, 01:17 PM
Oldie but goodie
Most ESCs are designed to cut the throttle if signal is intermitent or lost, so in minor glitching situations the motor will sputter.

Even if you replace the radio equipment, it is still a good idea to apply the normal glitch reduction solutions.

1) Make sure the Receiver and antenna are as far away from the Motor, ESC, Battery and their wires as possible.

2) Avoid having the antenna wire directly touching any metal of CF parts.

3) With brushed motors, sometimes it is helpful to put a twist (so they cross) in the wire pair to help cancel out any EMF being generated.
Dec 02, 2005, 02:21 PM
I make ARFs out of RTFs..
A good transmitter is probably the best investment one can make in this hobby. I strongly recommend to buy the best Tx you can afford. Consider buying a computer radio. As your models proliferate (and they definitely will!) you will need the capability to store multiple models in the memory. Other functions, particularly expo and dual rates, can be very helpful for a beginner. I have a Hitec Eclipse 7, and I am very happy with it.
I hope this helps.
Atac
Dec 02, 2005, 03:44 PM
Warbird crazy!
I found out the hard way on two occasions with the same plane .

This with a Futaba 6EXA and R114F rx. First time free flight with no real damage. This second time, reb. fuse. I am switching out the rx for a Hitec 555 DC. I never lost the plane when above me even as a dot, but 30 to 40 deg from ground zero in the same location at our field. The 6EXA was $90 from Brukners if ordered alone only with battery and strap.
This is a great first rad. and easy to program.

http://www.brucknerhobbies.com/

John and Christo

Quick Reply