Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 30, 2005, 03:38 PM

BT-13 Vultee Valiant Aka "Vibrator"

A lady sent me a PM asking me to help her locate a model of a BT-13 Vultee Valiant ( aka Vultee Vibrator). Trying to be helpful, I googled and yahooed but could only find some rubber model plans on "the plan page".

http://www.theplanpage.com/Months/2108/vv.htm

This was a neat looking Pre war II trainer that for some reason never got as popular, as a model subject, as the AT-6 or PT-19. If anybody knows of a model kit, plastic model kit or desk display model of the BT-13, lemme know.

This would be another nice future Pat Tritlle project, hint, hint!
Last edited by E-Challenged; Nov 30, 2005 at 04:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2005, 06:29 PM

Vultee BT 13/15 plans

I have a set of plans from a Major Plans Source for a very nice Vultee, 43" wingspan. Mine are what the vendor called not-ready-to-sell, but by my lights are seriously better than most of the commercial plans I've ever seen. Perhaps if folks clamor for a set, the designer might speak up.
Nov 30, 2005, 08:18 PM
Electric Coolhunter
There was a old Nor-Cal Aero kit of this model for glow, 65" span I think, which I steered that same lady to (I am pretty sure it was her)

However, it is out of production....bound to be one out there somewhere, though.
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Nov 30, 2005, 08:28 PM
Scale Builder
Don't think there are any plastic models currently available. However, there are desk top models available of the Vultee. A quick google search turned up this one, though it is missing an important detail!

http://www.allwoodwings.com/3-WWI+WW...sterSeries.htm
Nov 30, 2005, 08:53 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi

Vultee BT-13

A couple of years ago I built a model of the BT-13 using a preliminary set of plans drawn up by Gus Morfis. It turned into a very nice flying model. It is powered by a speed 480 on a Modelairtech belt drive at about 2.5 or so to 1. It originally flew with a 8 cell CP1300 nicad pack. We have been flying it lately using a 3 cell Thunderpower 2100 lipo and performance is better due to the decreased weight. Weight with the 8 cell Nicad is about 39 oz and with the 3 cell TP 2100 LiPo is about 34 oz.

Span is about 45" or so, all builtup and sheeted balsa construction. Very easy to build. If I get a chance tomorrow I will take a few photos and post them.

I also have a set of slightly enlarged Brian Taylor BT-13 plans from Bob Holman on the to build list. They are enlarged 15% from Brians design to give a span of 84".

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Last edited by Brian Allen; Dec 01, 2005 at 10:37 AM.
Nov 30, 2005, 08:54 PM
E challenged

Here is a link to a thread I posted awhile back about the BT-13

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...light=Kragness
Nov 30, 2005, 09:22 PM
Insert custom witicism
Gus Morfis has plans to a big Vultee Valiant. It's one of the projects on my too doo list. Drop him a line at CMMORFIS@aol.com for details. I can't remember the span, but it's a pretty good sized project. Maybe 45-55 span?

Jeff
Dec 01, 2005, 10:46 AM
Veni Vidi Volavi
I took a few photos of the BT-13 and they are posted below.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Dec 01, 2005, 12:04 PM
Insert custom witicism
Beautiful pics Brian! I've been deployed for a while and haven't had a chance to build mine, but should be able to get started over the holidays. I'm strongly considering installing the Rittinger combination of a MM reverse with a 3.5/1 gearbox with a 12/10 APC prop. Should be a bit heavier than the 480, but with good thrust/weight ratio.

Just a goregous finish on that thing, well done!

Jeff
Dec 01, 2005, 12:49 PM
I think one of the czech companies like HiPM or Octopus or Azure put out a plastic 1/72 scale BT-13 as a short run kit. There might still be a some out there. There's also Fiddlersgreen--I think he has a paper model.

Strike Fiddlersgreen. He doesn't.
Dec 01, 2005, 01:24 PM
Really nice, Brian--very pretty plane.]

Pat
Dec 01, 2005, 01:26 PM
Behold, a plastic model: Pavla in 1/72 scale.

http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/al...t13preview.htm