another Herr Fokker DVII conversion - RC Groups
Nov 28, 2005, 09:39 PM
Suspended Account
Build Log

another Herr Fokker DVII conversion

Last edited by sgtdirt; May 18, 2012 at 05:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2005, 04:47 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Looks good!

Im hoping to start building my Herr D.VII this week. Ive had on the shelf for a few months, but Im feeling motivated to finish it now. The hobbystore where I help out has received a batch of 5,5 and 3,3 gram brushless outrunners from India, and Im going to use the 5,5gram (0,19oz) one in this plane to begin with. With an E-Tec 250mAh 2s pack and a GWS 5X3 prop I should get around 85grams (3oz) of static thrust at slightly less than 2A and I hope to be able to keep the AUW well below 120grams (4,2oz). I hope to be looking at around 14W from this motor, which should give me just above 50W/lb, then again I dont think that the general Watts/pound rule is totally relevant for such a small and lightwheight plane, slowflyers generally fly on a lot less.

If this setup fails (which I really dont think it will), I have the possibility of either using one of the MPJet 17gram outrunners, or a GoBrushless kit wheighing the same. This would make the plane a bit heavier though, but I could get unlimited vertical performance (not what Im looking for in a plane like this).

Ill be following your progress with interest!

Anders O
Dec 06, 2005, 09:49 PM
Suspended Account
Last edited by sgtdirt; May 18, 2012 at 05:40 PM.
Dec 07, 2005, 05:22 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Looking good sgtdirt!

Anders O
Dec 07, 2005, 05:47 PM
Looks Good Sgt. I cant wait to see it fly! Herr kits are always good quality!
Dec 07, 2005, 10:28 PM
Go get them Meg!
Here's some added inspiration for ya there Dirt...
Dec 07, 2005, 11:25 PM
Suspended Account
nice! that yours, dog?

i plan on doing the lower wing in lozenge. i'll run some tissue through my printer.
except for the wire exits and the LG wing getting finished, nothing spectacular to post tonight.
Last edited by sgtdirt; Dec 13, 2005 at 10:48 PM.
Dec 13, 2005, 10:47 PM
Suspended Account
Dec 14, 2005, 08:29 AM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdirt
one thing i think is going to be a little difficult is the wheels. they are a three part construction. one solid disc and two rings. i have to figure out a way to make the "tire" portion. i could use a dremel but i don't want to enlarge the center hole. anyone have a suggestion?
Do what I did. Get a pair thin slowflyer/parkflyer wheels of reasonable size and use that instead (my wheels are roughly 1,5mm off in radius, I can live with that). It will hold a LOT better than the balsawheels, and it will also spare the landinggear and the fuselage attachment points some of the forces of a less than perfect landing. Im willing to bet it will be lighter also

My wheels are a sore in the eye as they are. But Im planning to add paper cones to the rims to mimic the cloth-clad spokes of the real fokkers.

Id really like to see some more pics of your build, if you have any. If you dont want to post them here then PM them to me.

Anders O
Last edited by Zeroaltitude; Dec 14, 2005 at 10:02 AM.
Dec 14, 2005, 08:17 PM
Suspended Account
i'll try to get some pics tonight.
thanks for the suggestion on the wheels.

no pics...fell asleep....just woke up...going back to bed....
Last edited by sgtdirt; Dec 14, 2005 at 10:42 PM.
Dec 18, 2005, 05:18 PM
Suspended Account
../
Dec 18, 2005, 05:30 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
Dirt,
Its looking good! I'm watching how you do your pull pull since I will be doing the same for the first time on my D-VII.
Mike
Dec 18, 2005, 06:21 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Looking good! Yup..., pull-pull controls are the way to go. I really should have gone that route too, but I was too lazy.

Mine flew again tonight at our weekly indoor session. Flies quite nicely, though a tad too fast for our single basketcourt gym. Can be slowed down quite a bit, but then it hangs its tail, and turns become sloppy due to the high nose attitude. Could use a bit more dihedral too (my dihedral is slightly less than the stock), or possibly mod it for ailerons, but it really isnt neccessary.
There really is no lack of controlresponse from the rudder, which I initially thought. If the speed is kept up, she can turn in a 12' circle with no problems. So she isnt lacking manouverability, just suffering from a slight case of obesity.

Ill probably keep her as it is, and save her for outdoors and larger halls.

Anders O
Dec 18, 2005, 07:25 PM
Suspended Account
Dec 19, 2005, 11:51 AM
Cheapskate freeloader!
I wanted to use 2s Etec 250, but found that the Fokker wouldnt balance with them. So I opted for the 2s Etec 450SHP.
I havent had the opportunity to fly the Fokker outdoors (except for that very first testflight with an aft CG), and indoors is not a place where Id like to play around with gliding. Feels better to keep her under power, so as to insure myself against a "stall-crunch!" episode.
However, she glides forever with a minimum of power when landing. I usually have to start my landingaproach on the short side of the gym, turning under low power to waste some altitude and then set her down at the last third of the longside. All this from less than 6' altitude to start with. So Id say that the glide is pretty good for a bipe.

Anders O