Nov 28, 2005, 06:13 PM
Big gov never Works
Yippee!

Warbirdkits IAR-80 SP-400

I've been busy finishing the RT-Models MiG-15, over in the EDF forum. But, I'm back with another one of Tom Jacoby's little gems.

W.S....34"
LOA...29"
WA...146sq"
AUW...17-19 oz
Scale ratio..1/12 (1"=1')

The parts are lazer cut, as all of Tom's designs, and was of high quality as also was the wood supplied. The cowling is a vacuum formed plastic of sturdy thickness and is two piece(foward/rear). The canopy is beautifly done. Also included is a few molded plastic scoops.

Plans are clear and easily understood for anyone with a few kits under his belt. Included is a worded construction manual. Simply worded and easily understood.

The construction is very light. Care must be taken to avoid breaking the bukheads. But, once the keels are in place and planking has begun, it has high strength/little wt. I strengthened the rear bulkheads by absorbing a small amount of thin CA into the side end grain of the bulkheads.

This plane will be covered in silkspan and lacquer for lightness. I will be offering this plane for sale upon completion.

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Nov 28, 2005, 08:35 PM
Manzano Laser Works
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Martin
The cowling is a vacuum formed plastic of sturdy thickness and is two piece(foward/rear). The canopy is beautifly done. Also included is a few molded plastic scoops.
Steve,

It's really just a single scoop, in two pieces, so you can make it a break-away scoop if you want.

All the plastic work, including the plugs, was done by Joel Dirnberger aka MetroGTI at Ezone. Joel does fantastic work!

You should also have found a vac-formed spinner in the kit... Let me know if I need to send one to you.

Tom
Last edited by TomJacoby; Nov 28, 2005 at 08:42 PM.
Nov 28, 2005, 08:46 PM
EB-66C Team Member
...and the building machine ground on and on and on........
Fuzz, you remind me of the Energizer Bunny.

J
Latest blog entry: Ziroli A-1H at 100"ws
Nov 28, 2005, 09:36 PM
Manzano Laser Works

Iar-80

The IAR-80 was a nimble fighter developed from the Polish PZL-24 series aircraft. But it was underpowered and obsolete by the advent of WWII.

Cannon-armed variants of the IAR brought down quite a few USAAF B-24 Liberators during raids on the Romanian oil fields, but P-51 Mustang pilots found them easy meat.

Nevertheless, under the right circumstances, Romanian pilots and their IAR-80 fighters were deadly adversaries. Their finest hour came on June 10th, 1944, when 23 Romanian Air Force pilots of the 6th Fighter Group, flying IAR-80s, bounced more than 40 P-38 Lightnings in a shallow valley. In the four minute fight, the Romanians shot down 14 of the P-38s for a loss of five IARs.

The IAR-80, though little known, is one of those classic fighter designs, and one that I've wanted to model for years. This model is based on a combination of various three-views and photos, and is as close to scale as I could make it. All the drawings I've found generally agree on the profile, but vary widely on the fuselage plan view forward of the cockpit. Ultimately I shaped it to conform closely to the 1:48 plastic model produced by LTD.

I hope you enjoy building and flying it as much as I enjoyed designing it!

Tom
Nov 28, 2005, 11:04 PM
could you fly this model on a geared himax 2025-4200? It looks like a nice kit!

D-Rock
Nov 29, 2005, 05:08 AM
Big gov never Works
Tom, I found no spinner in the box. I never removed, except the plans and manual, till yesterday. OK on the scoops, I see it now.

D-Rock, using the geared Hi-Max would require a very low ratio to get the pitch speed. Using a large prop on these little planes causes torque issues. DD motors that can turn a prop in the 7-9" range is a better choice. If you can turn a 9" prop and attain a pitch speed of atleast 45mph, then you will be safe.

Steve
Nov 29, 2005, 05:09 AM
Big gov never Works
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
...and the building machine ground on and on and on........
Fuzz, you remind me of the Energizer Bunny.

J
I have to, CB.. No job yet.. I have to build and sell to pay the bills..

Fuzz
Nov 29, 2005, 09:13 AM
Manzano Laser Works
Quote:
Tom, I found no spinner in the box. I never removed, except the plans and manual, till yesterday. OK on the scoops, I see it now.
Steve
I will ship a spinner this week - the IAR-80 wouldn't look right without it!

Did I include a set of magnets for the cowl in that kit? If not, I'll ship them, too.

-t
Last edited by TomJacoby; Nov 29, 2005 at 09:21 AM.
Nov 29, 2005, 09:25 AM
Manzano Laser Works

Follow the Build

Folks, you can download the construction manual for this kit from www.warbirdkits.com. Then try to keep up with Steve as he does another SPEED BUILD

Also available as free downloads are the kit decals and a paint and markings guide. The download links are near the bottom of the IAR-80 page. Enjoy!

Tom
Nov 29, 2005, 10:14 AM
Big gov never Works
Tom, cancel that.. I dumped the foam peanuts in the trash and found the spinner camoflaged in Kinko wrap..

Thanks

Steve
Nov 29, 2005, 10:35 AM
Manzano Laser Works
Quote:
Tom, cancel that.. I dumped the foam peanuts in the trash and found the spinner camoflaged in Kinko wrap..

Thanks

Steve
Great! Let me know if you need the magnets.

-t
Nov 29, 2005, 08:16 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Wow! This is a speed build! Hope you're getting enough sleep Fuzz. Fuse looks great.

J
Latest blog entry: Ziroli A-1H at 100"ws
Nov 30, 2005, 01:40 PM
Manzano Laser Works
That crutch design really helps speed things along and keep the fuselage nice and straight. I don't know who innovated the use of this type of crutch, but I sure thank him!

Tom

Quick Reply