Nov 25, 2005, 12:14 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Building my s400 FW190

Hi,

My Ryan Corsair has been in need of an adversary for a while. So it was time to build a FW190! I'm doing one of the stubbier earlier models, not the long fused "Dora" version.

First picture shows the nice looking Flugewerke FW190.

The plans were drawn to give a 30" span. Foamcore wings with torquerods embedded and 1/32 sheeting for ease of construction. The fuselage is built around a crutch to ensure a straight and true fuselage. Thin balsa and ply formers and 1/16" sheeting. 1/8" balsa tailfeathers.

The 190 will be powered by a brushed Multiplex 480, APC 6x4E, and 8 cell GP1100. Might even go BL with a nobrand 400T or Mega 16/15/6 on APC 7x5E or 8x4E. Aileron, elevator and throttle control.

Hopefully it will work out fine - so lets get to it...

I've been building a little the last few days, and will post the rest of my progress as I go.

Thomas
Last edited by thomanie; Dec 23, 2005 at 05:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 25, 2005, 12:25 PM
Thread OP

Foam cores

Cutting the foam cores isn't that hard once you have don it a couple of times. Mine still turn out (really) bad once in a while. It's a good thing there is balsa sheeting to cover up my goof ups

First pic shows the blanks being cut to shape. I use two straight angles clamped to the tabletop and guides, and position the blanks accordingly - then make the cut.

Remember to set 2 degress (1/8") washout at the tip rib.

Then thin plywood templates are cut, drilled for a few long pins and pinned to the blanks. The wing is then cut using a large enough bow. Theres ample infomation on rcgroups on how to build you own - just do a search.

T
Last edited by thomanie; Nov 28, 2005 at 05:20 AM.
Nov 25, 2005, 12:36 PM
Thread OP

Wingskins

Wingskins are prepared from 1/32" sheet. The sheeting is "buttjoined" or "tape-hinged" whichever you choose to call it, then glued and weighted down while curing.

I used DB sorghum to glue to skins to the cores. After applying to the skins and the core, and letting it dry for 45 minutes, everything is left to set while weighted down in the foam beds from the cuts.

T.
Nov 25, 2005, 12:43 PM
Thread OP

Adding the LE stock

The 1/4" thick balsa LE stock was glued on while taping it to the wing to hold it in place.

T
Nov 25, 2005, 12:54 PM
Thread OP

Aileron torquerods

The ailerons were cut free and lined with 1/8" balsa both at the TE of the wing and LE of the aileron. In the picture you can also see the 1/2" tip blocks

After bending the torquerods to shape, the wings were grooved, the torquerods glued into place, and everything covered up with a piece of 1/8" thick balsa stick.

T
Nov 25, 2005, 12:57 PM
Thread OP

Adding tip blocks

Time to add the tip blocks and the ailerons.

Tip blocks were taped in place while the glue sets. The ailerons were drilled and grooved to suit the torquerods. After cutting the aileron part of the tip block free, they are glued to the ailerons. After a lot of planing and sanding, the two wing panels were finally done.

Well, almost... The ailerons still needs to be hinged, and the halves must be joined.

T
Last edited by thomanie; Nov 25, 2005 at 01:44 PM.
Nov 25, 2005, 02:06 PM
Gravity sucks.
Wow, you build FAST!
Looks nice....maybe the 480 will be overkill?
I ran a long can 400 on 3 lipo with a 5/5 and it went very well. Cowl might be big for that on this bird, likely to go 6 or 7" diameter if you can.
SHould be nice bird when you get done, thats for sure

Mark
Nov 25, 2005, 02:24 PM
Thread OP

Fuselage crutch and formers

The fuselage crutch is made from 1/8" scrap plywood. Not exactly aircraft grade material this one as you can see. But it doesn't matter as it will be pulled out once the basic fuse has been built.

Printouts for the formers are also shown in the second pic.

T.
Nov 25, 2005, 02:35 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrittinger
Wow, you build FAST! ...
Not sure about fast, but a lot. Just ask the missus

A 5x5 will be too small I think. The 6x4 on my T-31 is almost dwarfed by the cowl, but it works fine. The 190 is almost as big - about the same size as my Ryan Corsair cowl behind a 7x5. I've been having really good results with the mpx 480, APC 6x4E and the 8 GP1100s. Cheap and effective combo - and I have a spare one laying around

Thomas
Nov 25, 2005, 02:42 PM
Thread OP

Fuselage formers

Started cutting the fuselage formers from the rear.

After a while they were mostly done, and trialfitted to the crutch. There are of course a couple of goofs here as well. The worst being that the inner diameter of the front former is too large. Added the slots for the crutch to the wrong side of the circle. *doh!*
Fixed the drawing, and added a couple of scraps to the rear of the former. Also had to redraw the LE former as I got the shape totally wrong on the first go. Verified by a few online pictures...

T
Last edited by thomanie; Nov 25, 2005 at 02:49 PM.
Nov 25, 2005, 02:57 PM
Thread OP

Mock up...

Last pic for now - I just have to see what a build is going to look like every now and then.

You can't really tell it's a FW190 yet - but soon. Very soon...
T
Nov 25, 2005, 03:45 PM
At the 30" size, a small 1.6oz Eflite outrunner or something of that nature would be fine, and at the light weight will fly much easier. Here's a 27.5" Guillows with the 1.6oz bl outrunner motor. 12oz with 3s-900 lipo.
Nov 25, 2005, 03:47 PM
Gravity sucks.
Where'd you get a 190 s400 plan? Looks nice...
Nov 25, 2005, 04:05 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomanie
I've been having really good results with the mpx 480, APC 6x4E and the 8 GP1100s. Cheap and effective combo - and I have a spare one laying around

Thomas
What kind of amp draw are you getting with this combo?

Also, do you think you will sell plans for this plane. I would love to have a set.

Thanks,
Mike
Nov 25, 2005, 04:07 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrittinger
Where'd you get a 190 s400 plan? Looks nice...
The plans are my own - based on 3-views from a russian site

Thomas

Quick Reply