Nov 24, 2005, 11:58 AM
Thread OP
Rave

Power system Reviews and Columns in E Zone!

www.ezonemag.com -- the worlds most popular online webzine for electric models -- has tons to read and learn about electric power systems. Here's a few examples!

November 24, 2005 New listings:
Thinking of assembling your first large electric model? These 2 articles may be just for you!
1 Be sure to read Jim Walker's in depth look at the reasonably priced, strong performing Feaigo motor line!www.rcgroups.com/4927
2 J. David Johnson takes a look at ElectriFly's Lipo Connection Boards, whereby multiple smaller packs are connected in series to provide enough current for high amp draws! www.rcgroups.com/4948

3 Looking for a big power punch in a little motor? Jim Brink reviews the Lil Screamers, including flight performance in a Chip Hyde ForePlay.
www.rcgroups.com/4925
to remove ads between posts
Nov 24, 2005, 12:03 PM
Thread OP

CONTROLLING INTEREST -- tons to know on ESCs!

11/24/05: newest controlling interest -- an in depth look at various ways different manufacturers choose to program ESC functions:
rcgroups.com/4892

A Controlling Interest -- August 2005
Bernard provides an update on lithium-aware controllers -- originally covered 2 years ago -- focusing on the FMA-Direct "Super series" of brushed motor controllers, including their currently-unique user-settable LVC.
www.rcgroups.com/4544

A Controlling Interest - August 2003
Lithium batteries have unique charging needs, which I talked about in the last Recurring Charge (and will talk more about in the next Recurring Charge). They also have some different needs when it comes to speed controls specifically where they are used to power our radio systems from the ESC. Both the low voltage cutoff (LVC) function and the battery eliminator circuit (BEC) function are affected by the differences between nickel-based and lithium-based battery characteristics.
ww.rcgroups.com/4234

Controlling Interest - December 2002
This month, Bernard discusses wire lengths and ESCs, shows a new device called the Ultimate BEC, and provides information on several new sensorless controllers.
www.rcgroups.com/4041

Controlling Interest - April 2002
In this installment, Bernard reviews the Updated Jeti JES 40-3P sensorless brushless controller and the MGM ComPro Top Motor Management 35 extra ESC for brushed motors.
www.rcgroups.com/3930

Controlling Interest - December 2001
In this issue of the Controlling Interest, Bernard covers the ESC "brake" and several ways that different manufacturers have implemented that function. Bernard also gives us a detailed look at a schulze future-45Ko brushless controller.
www.rcgroups.com/3881

Controlling Interest - September 2001
This month, Bernard dives into the topic of sensorless vs. sensor-equipped brushless motor controllers.
www.rcgroups.com/3846

Controlling Interest - May 2001
Bernard Cawley presents his giant speed control comparison tables, plus a review of the Kontronik Star Line controllers.
www.rcgroups.com/3803

Controlling Interest - February 2001
Bernard discusses audible arming signals and what to do when your esc just won't go, plus he takes an in-depth look at three sport speed controls.
www.rcgroups.com/3845

Controlling Interest - September 2000
Bernard discusses the issue of self-calibrating ESC's, and looks at two micro slowfly controllers.
www/rcgroups.com/3737
Nov 24, 2005, 12:06 PM
Thread OP
Post links here to your favorite E Zone reviews, columns and articles regarding power systems! Please don't DISCUSS the reviews here -- that's what the discussion thread is for. Please don't suggest new reviews here -- email me directly to make suggestions or to offer to write for us.

Please just use this thread to point to existing E Zone reviews you feel would be helpful to your fellow power system readers!
Dec 07, 2005, 09:32 AM
To get things started, here are a couple articles that were written by my friend Jim Blanner of Edina, MN:

Trainer (.40) conversion; the discussion thread also has some good info on others beyond the Eagle: https://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4485 .

And, his Mustang conversion; now flying on LiPos (5S): https://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4788 .

His posting as “jrb” and Gallery also have a lot of good info.

Tom
Dec 07, 2005, 10:02 AM
jrb
jrb
One of my favorites is by Paul Willenborg for Great Planes RV-4; its outstanding for a beginner since it starts from a “box of wood” and details all facets of modeling: https://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4164 .

While Jim Bourke’s AMP-lifying the Ace Cloud Dancer is a classic filled with data that fundamental to electric flight: https://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=3405 .

PS: Thanks Tom.
Feb 11, 2006, 04:28 AM
My most favorite ever Ezone articles were the "Understanding Electric Power Systems" tutorials written by Jim Bourke in his Control Tower column, starting September 1998 and continuing in subsequent months.

See https://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=3385

I learned more from these articles than any other source.

Neil.
Apr 02, 2006, 10:03 PM
I recently acquired a Li'l Poke with a simprop power drive. As I checked out the plane I discovered that when given full throttle the simprop gear mechanism flew off. The plastic gear has a steel rod that fits into a compartment in the motor. The rod is notched, but now I can't seem to discover how to secure the rod into the plastic cover on the motor. Does anyone have any information that might help me solve this problem? I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
Apr 03, 2006, 10:00 PM
I have a quick question. Is there a more appropriate location to place my question about the simprop. I have not used this system before and I placed it in the first of the power system threads. DW
May 01, 2006, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edward williams
I have a quick question. Is there a more appropriate location to place my question about the simprop. I have not used this system before and I placed it in the first of the power system threads. DW
Start a new thread, posing your question, in Power Systems.
Oct 28, 2006, 09:58 AM

Hots Plans.

Please can someone help!! am trying to get a set of plans for a LECTRIC or ULTRA HOTS. I do not have a credit card to purchse one of the net.(living in darkest africa) closest modle shop is south africa 2000 km away. I know this sounds crazy but belive it. My son and me have sean the Hots on the net and would like to biuld one fore our third plane, as it resembles our local crop duster's plane. You can scan it through to me or post it to M young box 840025 Mkushi Zambia. Thanks.
Apr 17, 2008, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCross
www.ezonemag.com -- the worlds most popular online webzine for electric models -- has tons to read and learn about electric power systems. Here's a few examples!

November 24, 2005 New listings:
Thinking of assembling your first large electric model? These 2 articles may be just for you!
1 Be sure to read Jim Walker's in depth look at the reasonably priced, strong performing Feaigo motor line!www.rcgroups.com/4927
2 J. David Johnson takes a look at ElectriFly's Lipo Connection Boards, whereby multiple smaller packs are connected in series to provide enough current for high amp draws! www.rcgroups.com/4948

3 Looking for a big power punch in a little motor? Jim Brink reviews the Lil Screamers, including flight performance in a Chip Hyde ForePlay.
www.rcgroups.com/4925
Just starting my first model and starting looking around and found this to be very helpful. So much to learn and so little time. Thanks
Aug 08, 2008, 08:55 PM

Delete

Last edited by ernie5229; Aug 10, 2008 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Delete
Nov 13, 2008, 02:15 AM
I know how you feel, there's a plethora of information here, thanks for sharing by the way
Old Feb 20, 2009, 06:48 AM
NashG
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). It is temporarily hidden while NashG edits it.
Oct 08, 2009, 05:14 AM
hi to every one

Quick Reply