DFS Habicht - RC Groups
Nov 23, 2005, 03:43 PM
Build Log

DFS Habicht

Hi there,

I am interested in the DFS Habicht from Schneider-Modell. I emailed the address schneider.modell@aon.at and so far I have had no reply. Does any one know if they are still selling the kit or whether they sell direct or through shops or where I might be able to get one of these kits? I am based in the UK.

Thanks

Alistair
to remove ads between posts
Nov 24, 2005, 01:51 AM
Hello Allistar,

as I know they still sell it. There is aninterresting thread on a german forum about the habicht:
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showthread.php?t=9078

Regards
Viktor
Nov 27, 2005, 01:01 PM
Thanks for that link, nice pictures and with the help of google it indciates the kit is good. I have made coantact with the chap who sells the kit just need to find a way of getting some money to him.

Well the money has left my bank and on its way in the "banking system" it will take 3 - 7 days to get to his bank!

I am looking forward to reciveing the kit!

Alistair
Last edited by alibodin; Dec 02, 2005 at 09:41 AM.
Dec 04, 2005, 06:12 PM
Retired CAD guy
Here is the kit for sale at ...
http://www.mkrusa.com/
Dec 08, 2005, 11:23 AM
My kit is on the way from Schneider Model in Austria. Wish it was here quicker though!

Alistair
Dec 08, 2005, 01:54 PM
Where's the lift?
Alistair, you da man! This is one that I had considered for awhile there, too. Sure looks like it will be a lovely model to build and fly.

We expect a build thread when you get 'er up and running, with lots of photos along the way.

Cheers,

Don.
Dec 09, 2005, 07:57 AM
The box just arrived and I am looking forward to building this model. Will post a diary here andsome pics as it gets built.

AListair
Dec 09, 2005, 04:11 PM
VNE ? I bite my thumb at thee

'andsome pics

you cockerney scamp !

I too wait with baited breath Al...

Ell.
Dec 11, 2005, 01:15 PM
Here is a picture of the box.

Inisde are the following:-

12 sheets of 3mm balsa, sheeting for the fuz
30 sheets of 2mm balsa, sheeting for the wings
2 sheets of 5mm balsa all 1m x .1, sheeting for LE of wings and tailplane
18 1m sprucs strips 5mm x 10mm, spars for wing and fuz
17 sheets of cnc lite ply with all the ribs, formers spars and webbing!
A small sheet of ply with the horns and hinges for the airbrakes
3 dowels, 2 for holding wings alignmnet and one for the tailplane securing. And some printed sheets and minimal instructions and some photos of all the bits.

Here is a cnc sheet (44 x 13 inches) of the root part of the shear web among other parts.

And just to see how it might look here is a dry fit of the rudder which needs tidying up as I quickly cut the bits out and the fit is very good. The trailing edge of the rudder is in 3 parts with scarf joints and the joints are different so the thing can only be assembled one way. Very good IMHO.

The challenge is to get it under 7kg.

Alistair
Last edited by alibodin; Jan 25, 2006 at 05:18 PM.
Dec 18, 2005, 12:34 PM
Here are the rudder bits

and here is the assmebled rudder, nothing tricky here dry fit it all having joined the trailing edge and then drop in some thin cyno.

Oh and a nice picture of the full size!

Alistair
Dec 18, 2005, 02:43 PM
Here you have the website of the red full size Habicht:
http://www.dfs-habicht.de/

Christian
Dec 24, 2005, 08:23 AM
Been spending the odd minutes here and there cutting bits out of the ply and also doubling up the parts that need doubling up. Small tip here is when cutting out the bits from the ply mark them on the same side. As when joining two bits the same they fit better one way round. SO if the pieces are marked jopin them marked side up.

Any way here are all the formers for the Fuz.

Here are the tailplane bits

The fin bits

and the elevator bits as well.

The nice thing about the kit is there is hardly any cutting out so very little mess and I do a lot of kit building inside

Alistair
Dec 24, 2005, 11:27 AM
Elevator is now complete

And here are the wing joiner wedges 5 bits of ply glued togther.

Alistair
Dec 29, 2005, 01:43 PM
Spent the afternoon cutting all the bits out of the ply and then sanding them nice and smooth.

Out of interest I weighed the wing ribs before and after removing the lightening holes.

Before 322g and after 221g a saving of 101g which is about 1/3 which is interesting.

Here are all the ribs cut out. The root rib is 17 " and the tip 4".

Next job is to bend the spruce spars for the gull wing!

Alistair
Dec 29, 2005, 02:25 PM
Where's the lift?
Pretty bits there, Alistair.

Do you have an idea of the AUW of this model? The website offers a 7kg advertised weight, not bad for a model of this size.

Don.