This thread is privately moderated by J Morgan, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 04, 2019, 09:07 AM
How thick do you guys apply paint? I repaint every foam model I get and I've never had a single one show any noticeable increase in weight let alone change in CG, yet I hear about people having issues with this all of the time. I have some models that have 2 or 3 repaints over each other because I never strip them and yet they are still floaters. My decals from Callie typically weigh more than my paint job and I even use primer for an even basecoat.

Not picking on anyone, just curious why my experience is so different.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2019, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRTIC
How thick do you guys apply paint? I repaint every foam model I get and I've never had a single one show any noticeable increase in weight let alone change in CG, yet I hear about people having issues with this all of the time. I have some models that have 2 or 3 repaints over each other because I never strip them and yet they are still floaters.
Everything you say is true - except we're talking about micro-models here, weighing just a few ounces. With these light weights, paint can definitely make a difference. The UMX B-17 is already tail heavy, and another coat of paint will probably make it worse.
Dec 05, 2019, 04:26 AM
Slow is the go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRTIC
How thick do you guys apply paint? I repaint every foam model I get and I've never had a single one show any noticeable increase in weight let alone change in CG, yet I hear about people having issues with this all of the time. I have some models that have 2 or 3 repaints over each other because I never strip them and yet they are still floaters. My decals from Callie typically weigh more than my paint job and I even use primer for an even basecoat.

Not picking on anyone, just curious why my experience is so different.
My UM Fortress received three coats to get her coastal command clothing, still
flies okay, I do use Babblebat 550s to help out with CG, she plods around the sky
impressivly but hey she's a four engined bomber so plodding is her thing!
Dec 05, 2019, 08:19 AM
Nice one, PP! I like your always well chosen liveries a lot.
I'm thinig of a 550mAh Lipo as well from what I read in the forums. I didn't weight the plane before and after, but the increase seems rather minimal to me.
But yes, Angelo, the smaler the plane the more it matters.
Dec 05, 2019, 08:59 AM
Dec 05, 2019, 04:27 PM
Progress so far:
all paint work done, most of the decals in place, ready for weathering and final touches. Waiting for some 550mAh lipos to arrive and for milder weather (next spring, probably...)
A fun little project so far
Dec 05, 2019, 04:30 PM
Slow is the go!
Looking good, so have to ask, the port wing still showing signs of green paint,
the pressures of war they didn't get to finish getting it off before returning to
service perhaps???
Dec 05, 2019, 05:10 PM
As far as I know this very plane had several lives and has been damaged more than once. So the port wing as well as the tail control surfaces were replaced with ones from scrapped planes. This was a common procedure at the time. In this case those were painted in the earlier green camo but the wing half has been already heavily weathered. Thus the difference in the look.
Dec 06, 2019, 08:31 AM
Great weathering!
Dec 06, 2019, 10:56 AM
Thanks - but I haven' even started...

(ok, a small bit, yes)

Dec 06, 2019, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rare bird
Thanks - but I haven' even started...

(ok, a small bit, yes)

I mean on the green replacement skin on the wing. Did you use the salt technique to get that effect?

It really looks good.
Dec 06, 2019, 05:10 PM
Thanks! It’s even more simple: just hand painted with a brush over the dulled down chrome. I’ll rework the aileron as well to reduce the saturation.
Dec 07, 2019, 10:48 PM

Dec 7th

A set of us were going to launch a surprise attack on our airfield this Dec 7th, including the maiden flight of this Aichi Val. But unfortunately we were rained out, so we will have to find another day to live in infamy. Anyway, I finally completed the build on this! It's been a long road - it is the ESM kit, and didn't go together very easily.
Dec 08, 2019, 12:17 AM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
Beautiful work on the Val !

RF
Dec 08, 2019, 09:14 AM
Besides looking great, the wing on that Val is huge! I'll bet it flies great.

Quick Reply