Nov 22, 2005, 05:36 PM
Thread OP

What's on your workbench?

I thought I'd kickoff off a build thread with this. My next project is pretty siimple: build a v-tail version of the beloved Gym Swallow. I've been thinking about this for a while and Frank sent me some v-tail links months ago. I have scaled up the drawing for the stock GS tail and will build in the requisite 110 degrees of "vee". I have a new arrow shaft and am ready to start.

What are y'all working on?

Rob
to remove ads between posts
Nov 22, 2005, 05:44 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Wow.. what's on the table.. that's a hard one..

The very next thing I complete will be the CG Chipmunk..
Nov 22, 2005, 06:25 PM
Wishing I was at Torrey Pines
I've got a Eureka slope glider that I'm about to start on...
Nov 22, 2005, 11:40 PM
Honey, I got more planes!
Ditto on the Eureka build
Nov 23, 2005, 09:54 AM
1/12 scale P-40
Orig for .15glow combat that I use to mfg.
Looks like 18-20oz in a elect. conversion with 300w
Might have to jump on this one.
Have a Zero,Spitfire and BF-109 as well.

At least one will have to become a PSS for the slopes.
Nov 23, 2005, 10:32 AM
I'm building 2 Supras (134" span glider) this winter. Looks like this photo.

I started a build thread. Follow along if you like. I tell you, those Supras are keeping me off the street. It will take me a few more months just to finish the Supras.

Supra build thread

Also have an Olympic 2 kit, and bought the Overlord foamie kit from Todd.

Somehow I'm supposed to finish all of these kits this winter.
Nov 23, 2005, 03:36 PM
agony sweetns the victory
Well on ** Workbench is:

Grace - a 108" full house sailplane 96.75% complete

Mini-Wing - a 22" flying foam wing 99.99% complete for the 2nd time

Skunk Works Stryker - a rocket powered version of the ParkZone F-27 50% complete

Surprisingly that's all. Well, that's all that ** wife will allow me.....
Nov 23, 2005, 11:20 PM
This is going to be going on the workbench soon..

It's an 84" Grumman Albatross..

I am 6'3" and 270..
Nov 23, 2005, 11:51 PM
That should be a B.E.A.U.T.Y. Send photos or start a build thread when you start building. Can't wait to see that rise off of the water.
Nov 24, 2005, 08:51 AM
cousin Dave

On my bench

I have an OLY2 kit and a Weasel Pro. I don't have a particular urgency to work on either of these so long as the winds are blowing hard and sloping is so great, and I have several slopers to get me through the windy season. Just finished modifying the WingWarrier Raider into a Halfpipe.
Nov 24, 2005, 11:16 AM
Fly long and land softly
Slow Stick with brushless outrunner and LiPo pack. Waiting impatiently for the Spektrum DX6 system ( http://www.horizonhobby.com/Explore/...ArticleID=1535 ) , now supposedly available mid-December instead of late November. Hate to see so much good flying weather pass me by twiddling my thumbs!

Thought about trying to re-plane the electronics and motor from the HZ FB Commander II that I broke the tail boom Wednesday. But seeing this as a lot of work and some $$ for little return - seems there are few good-flying 2-channel planes around. And I had problems with this electronics the last 3 times I flew it. But I'm open to suggestion. My son Scott suggested I fly it into the trash can

Jim
Nov 24, 2005, 11:38 AM
Why are you waiting on THAT radio? What does it have that others don't? If that was what was holding me up from flying, I would take another route.
Nov 24, 2005, 01:11 PM
Fly long and land softly
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghee-grose
Why are you waiting on THAT radio? What does it have that others don't? If that was what was holding me up from flying, I would take another route.
Gary, if you know something specific about this new system that deserves consideration, please do share it with us all.

You ask Why? I'm looking to say goodbye to:
frequency pins;
getting shot-down, or shooting someone else down.
"noise" coming from my motor or speed control (or anywhere else on my model) affecting my radio's performance;
glitches;
and intermodulation issues like 2IM, 3IM and adjacent frequency.

This is a a redundant fully digital system - in multiple ways - frequency, path and time.

I think this is worth the wait at the $200 price for a 6-channel computer radio with 4 digital servos and 10 model memory. YMMV!

Again, their link if you want more specific info: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Explore/...ID=1535&Page=1

I talked to Rick at R/C hobbies about these, and he thinks they are the next great direction in radios. He got to share some of his ideas and suggestions in the development, as I undersand it.

But I still want my instant gratification NOW!
Jim
Nov 24, 2005, 01:29 PM
I'd say get one of these or something like it and be done with it.. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXKAJ2**&P=ML

I've been flying for about 15 years and have only been shot down once.. and I'm not 100% I got shot down..
Nov 24, 2005, 02:02 PM
Does it come with a receiver that can change frequency or do you have to buy crystals to match?

Quick Reply